Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Webcam setup for pigery.

• 17-08-2010 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭

Hope I am in the right place Mods..

My brother in law has a pigery and lives 5 miles away. He wants to have a camera like a web cam looking at calves/pigs etc. Does he need 2 laptops with 2 internet connections. He wants a camera that possibly moves around.. Have ye any thoughts on this folks let me know..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

There are previous threads on this forum about similar situations, search for them. (Not meaning to sound rude...). Obviously you'd need 2 internet connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

SARASON wrote: »
    Hope I am in the right place Mods..

My brother in law has a pigery and lives 5 miles away. He wants to have a camera like a web cam looking at calves/pigs etc. Does he need 2 laptops with 2 internet connections. He wants a camera that possibly moves around.. Have ye any thoughts on this folks let me know..

There are IP cameras which do not require a computer, you simply plug a network cable directly into them. Although that assumes you've a wired network connection available at the piggery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

There are IP cameras which do not require a computer, you simply plug a network cable directly into them. Although that assumes you've a wired network connection available at the piggery.

Where would a fella get them. Whats a wired connection??

When you connect a pc to a modem or router using a cable. Or in this case, the remote IP camera. Check the usual suspects for where, e.g. PCWorld/Maplin/Pixmanis/Komplett/ebay etc.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    When you connect a pc to a modem or router using a cable. Or in this case, the remote IP camera. Check the usual suspects for where, e.g. PCWorld/Maplin/Pixmanis/Komplett/ebay etc.

Oh right so he would need 2 computers. One at home and 1 on the farm and two internet connections..

• Advertisement

The IP camera option should mean not needing 2 computers, but the possibility of this might depend on the net connection at the piggery. I suppose the piggery doesn't have a landline or UPC connection (!) so presumably you/he would be using a 3G wifi dongle. I dont know if any IP cameras would work with these. Others here may know ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

The upload on a 3G dongle would be a bit of a problem, do you have line of sight to the piggery by any chance? If so you could set up a wireless link for about €300 in equipment which would pay itself back in about a year (6 months if your brother's house doesn't already have an internet connection).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,242 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not sure at all. I would think most IP Cameras connect via Ethernet cable and would need to be plugged into a router or cable/DSL modem at the minimum. a 3G Modem/Router perhaps? Seems built for the purpose. Check with your Mobile provider regarding what 3G Modems/Routers would be compatible.

edit: Actually I just remembered 3G is ludicrously expensive and the bandwidth is gank. This would not be a good idea. And I assume you cant lay wire 5 miles down the road, and even then there are limits to what you can do with ethernet or coaxial.

You best, cheapest bet, is to get an Internet Connection at the farm. 1mbps should be plenty.

Knasher wrote: »
    The upload on a 3G dongle would be a bit of a problem, do you have line of sight to the piggery by any chance? If so you could set up a wireless link for about €300 in equipment which would pay itself back in about a year (6 months if your brother's house doesn't already have an internet connection).

No its about 5 miles away..This sounds like the system will be expensive with all these cables you are talking off..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,242 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah I'm not aware of any point-to-point wireless link that will do 5 miles :p Especially not in Irish elements. Even Wireless N is useless beyond 50-100m

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not aware of any point-to-point wireless link that will do 5 miles :p Especially not in Irish elements. Even Wireless N is useless beyond 50-100m

Oh right. I know nothing about computers like this stuff. How much roughly would you say it would cost to put in a setup like what he wants. He has a pc at home with no internet connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

It might be worth a try ringing a security company that fit alarms, I'm sure they would know a lot about fitting remote surveillance camera's. But chances are your going to need access to a phone line at the farm location for this to work.

I thought of that but were talking about farmers here....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

If that's the case then 5 miles of coaxial cable so :D

But still I reckon it would be best to consult a security company as they will tell you if its possible and then provide a quote as well.

You might look into http://www.irishwan.ie/ , you need to register first. Depending on the location, they provide a line-of-sight network and sometimes allow internet access. If the frames-per-second was low, this might be an option. I think the equipment cost is about 300-400, which would be less than installation and line rental for a year from Eircom I think.

Ya I will tell him do that. Maybe a life time supply of rashers and sausages would lessen the bill....:D

Advertisement