Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impossible ? Nothing is impossible right ?

Options
  • 17-08-2010 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

I'm from Ireland Working in San Francisco for the summer. I'd love to Extend my Visa to 18 months. I have Sponsorship for Laramar " The Fillmore Center"
    Its really a great job with good opportunity. I'm Planning on going to City college here. I'm Turn 21 on April the 6th 2011.

The problem is I'm not planning on going to College back in Cork. So It means I can't apply to any Irish Visa's and me being 20 doesn't help either.
    My J1 Visa Issue date was 15 of April 2010 and Expiration Date is 30 September 2010

Could ANYbody PLEASE give me information on what steps I need to do to Extend my visa?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

You can't extend a summer J1.

You say you have 'sponsorship', do you and your employer's know the ins and outs of doing this. For a skilled worker visa (H1B) you need a mimimum of a degree and you employer must show that they couldn't get a US citizen to do the job, it's also going to cost them at least 5k to sponsor you.

If you want to attend college you would be looking at an F1 visa, this does not allow you to work off-campus and as part of the visa application you have to demonstrate sufficient funds to support yourself through your education.

My advice, head home and finish your degree and then take up the 12-month J1 option to return to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Music4life

I do have a Fetac Level 5 if that would count?
    I never knew about the fee for sponsorship which is crazy. I think I might just ask my college to keep me on and tell them ill repeat the year so I could apply for the IWT.
    I've all ready missed my repeats this time around.
    I'd really consider doing anything to keep me here. I'm inquiring about a immigration attorney as we speak.

Thanks for the reply

Unfortunately for you the US is not really open to unskilled migration, a degree is the minimum requirement and even that would be a hard ask. You have the advantage of being young you are able to plan you future with one eye on your goal of moving to the US, if you really want it you are going to have to upskill yourself to make it worthwhile for a company to sponsor you.

There is also the diversiy visa lottery, which is an annual lottery for green cards. It will open for 2011 soon and close around the end of Nov with winners being notified around May/June next year. It's not a guarantee but "if your not in you can't win".

Thanks I appreciate it !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

If you can defer your college for a year, and show that you have been offered a place for next year then you will be eligible for the IWT or the intern visa. The cost of the H1B visa is not that expensive for a company, considering they would be hire you, it is a fraction of your salary/wage. FYI, it is illegal for the employee to pay for the sponsorship of the H1B, in any way!

• Advertisement

lil_lisa wrote: »
    If you can defer your college for a year, and show that you have been offered a place for next year then you will be eligible for the IWT or the intern visa.

I dind't know this, thanks lil_lisa.

That sounds like an idea!! I'm meeting with my Immigration Lawyor on Saturday. My Girlfriend said she'd marry me but it hasnt been that long since we have went out. Its another option i suppose.
    I just think its a joke that if I was 21 it would be an easier process :mad:

Thank you for the Help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Music4life wrote: »
    I just think its a joke that if I was 21 it would be an easier process :mad:

Why do you think it would be easier then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

The easiest way to get a green card is to get married, as many immigration lawyers have told me. But that may not be the easiest thing on your relationship. A year at a long distance relationship will be easier if its last resort. Trust me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

sadly things have changed in the US....getting married doesn't automatically entitle you to stay in the US.

If you get married you would still have to apply for permanent residency, if you're lucky they'll give you adjustment of status so you could stay in the US while your case is processed (the kicker is that you can't work while this is happening and it can take a year or even more).....there's also the chance that they wouldn't let you stay in the US and you'd have to go home when your current visa expires and then wait until the residency case is processed........sadly regardless of how much you love your partner, if they feel that you're getting married for the sake of staying in the us (which is likely if you haven't been together too long), US immigration are unlikely to allow you remain in the US while the application is processed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement