Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE 2FM - New Schedule version 5.0

• 17-08-2010 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Well I thinks it best I start a thread this evening before tomorrows onslaught (did I spell this right?)

So all posts, articles comments etc to go on this thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

They say there will be some BIG names? Apart from Tubbers who would be a big name they haven't already got? They need to go back to basics and bring back some of the real talent they cast off over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

They say there will be some BIG names? .

They probably meant big salaries for average names

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Finally I can sleep happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Its Hector , Tubbers and Colm, all on 2fm now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Oh Jesus it's awful stuff

Baz and Lucy on weekend breakfast
    Paddy mc kenna and Ruth Scott weekend afternoons

Sorry weekday line up is

Hector 7 to 9 from 7th Oct???
    Tubridy 9 to 11
    Hayes 11 to 1
    LG 1 to 2
    Rick o Shea 2 to 4.30
    Will leahy 4.30 to 7 (one wonders how he survived the chop)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is Larry Gogan like a ships lucky mascot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Who is Colm Hayes going working with now? And when? Who has taken the morning slot now? Surely Paddy McKenna is only a stand in?

Cant believe Jim Nugent is gone, that was shortlived on RTE (2007 they joined wasnt it!?) Although he wanst great without Colm, and quite frankly they were irritating sometimes.

Not surprised on the Nikki Hayes front, she always annoyed me. But at the same time I am sad she lost her job, I am sure one of the Dublin stations will take her though. Not good for the confidence though.

So many questions....... :D

EDIT: Thanks for that BBAbility! Wow some of that is dire!! Baz and Lucy are rubbish! Rick o Shea is anoying in my opinion. LG - legend, Hector? FFS, looks like Ill be listening to Ian Dempsey on the way to work now, Id take Paddy McKenna any day! Will Leahy, thumbs up! What are they thinking??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

I pressume Nikki Hayes is still on the weekends - they only announced the daytime line up. The tweet pics from Rick O'Shea Yvonne Judge show a launch of 2FM and Radio 1 and Lyric - all of RTE's radio stations. Any change or update from them?
    Hector in the morning...up against Ian Dempsey, this is breakfast suicide, I am not saying that Ian is the best, but come on, he is doing breakfast for years and well Hector...I dunno! Maybe he will prove us all wrong when the listernership figures are released next year.

• Advertisement

She's gone aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I think Hector is actually a good choice. They need someone with a bit of confidence and character in that time slot. His show with Tommy was actually quite funny (once you got used to the comedy culchie bit). If he could just tone that down a bit, he could be ok.

ncmc wrote: »
    If he could just tone that down a bit, he could be ok.

I don't think he can tone it done, thats the problem.

Lucy Kennedy has done nothing in the past few months to merit getting another radio job. Montrose certainly moves in mysterious ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Rubik. wrote: »
    I don't think he can tone it done, thats the problem.

Lucy Kennedy has done nothing in the past few months to merit getting another radio job. Montrose certainly moves in mysterious ways.

+1 on Lucy Kennedy, she is incredibly annoying, her laugh makes me want to put a hot poker in my ear and if I have to listen to 'adorable anecdotes' about her son one more time I will scream! But someone in RTE obviously loves her for some unknown reason as they seem determined to keep her in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philsopher

bbability wrote: »
    Oh Jesus it's awful stuff

Baz and Lucy on weekend breakfast
    Paddy mc kenna and Ruth Scott weekend afternoons

Tubridy 9 to 11
    Hayes 11 to 1
    Rick o Shea 2 to 4.30
    Will leahy 4.30 to 7 (one wonders how he survived the chop)

Rick O'Shea?? :eek: :mad: :rolleyes:

And that schedule is why I will continue not to listen to 2FM!! Thankfully, they got rid of that Jim Jim eejit though (if only they did the same with the other guy) - the worst type of DJ's possible: smug, swarmy, cheesy, not funny in the slightest yet were the exact opposite of all that in their own little minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Lucy Kennedy has done nothing in the past few months to merit getting another radio job.

+1

I do not understand this!! She wrecks my head. Great presenting recorded TV/Bord Gas ads. Crap on radio. FFS!! The mind boggles! Tis a long way from Ballydung manner thats for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Interesting schedule...

Genuinely surprised at the unceremonious way in which they dumped Nikki (not allowing her even the chance to say goodbye to listeners).

Hector is a bit of an unknown quantity for breakfast ... could do well ... hard to know. May not be long before he's paired off with someone.

Disappointed with Lucy Kennedy's appearance as, from what I've heard, she's just not up to scratch - and pairing her with Baz Amshamway?... er... I dunno!

It seems a very experimental/transitional schedule and seems very unlikely to me to be in anyway intended as copperfastened or 'set in stone' for a long time. It's going to be an interesting few months...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

What a complete and utter disaster. Well 2fm have lost a listener in me.

Quite sad, I've listened to Colm and Jim Jim together for more than 10 years. They were great on FM104, not so good on 2fm but I still enjoyed the show.

I thought Colm did really well filling in for Gerry Ryan (not bloody Lucy though :mad:) and I reckoned he'd get his own show from it. He would have been much better to put in that slot than Ryan Tubridy IMO.

I also thought Jim Jim and Paddy were doing well together and hoped that they'd stay on the breakfast show.

2fm can f*ck off with Hector. Off to Today FM I go for my mornings.

(Delighted Nikki Hayes is gone though!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Lucy and Baz filled in for Colm and Jim Jim early this year for a couple of weeks. Bloody awful. They sounded like a pair of transition year students on a community station.

When was a 2fm schedule ever copper fastened?
    I'm almost certain this is the fifth change in twelve months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

She's gone aswell.
    Yep see that now.
    I was never a fan of hers but she did seem to have a closeness with her listeners, maybe they were people she knows, like with the people that texted and tweeted her during the show. But I would say that the bosses in 2FM are just being cautious about having her live on their station now that she is being let go. Wonder what station will pick her up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

yungwan wrote: »
    +1

I do not understand this!! She wrecks my head. Great presenting recorded TV/Bord Gas ads. Crap on radio. FFS!! The mind boggles! Tis a long way from Ballydung manner thats for sure!

The champagne must be open in every oth station in Ireland.

Hector for breakfast is rubbish. Gerry Ryan replaced by 2 shows and incredibly Lucy Kennedy is allowed to continue broadcasting. Shame on RTE for such pathetic programming. you've lost me forever

Sure... but it seems to me to be a schedule that was made with future changes in mind - as if it's only a stepping stone towards a future schedule which they may (or should) already have in mind.- hence 'transitional'

Incidentally, seems Hector is on facebook and has 1,203 friends. I tried to add him for the craic and facebook said that he already has "too many friends"... take out of that what ye will ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I'm one of the people that didn't actually mind Nikki Hayes. I can understand why some might find her annoying but I didn't.

She did seem to have a great rapport with her listeners and I just think it's a shame that she can't just have her last two shows this weekend and then bow out.

I can't stand Hector, but I rarely listen to breakfast radio anyway and when I do it will always be Ian Dempsey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Im disappointed that the Tommy and Hector show is finished. I really enjoyed that, and I know it was very popular among Irish people living abroad. We might not take to mad stories about silage and 96 Toyota Starlets but when you're on your own in a new country Im sure its nice to hear for a couple of hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Baz and Lucy on weekend mornings??

lost for words...

Am a bit baffled at the inclusion of Lucy Kennedy and Baz Hamsandwich at weekend breakfasts myself, although it's a show that I'm unlikely to be awake to hear...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Did they pick presenters out of a hat?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 colmbie

If I was looking to boost all the other radio stations listenerships, I'd pick that lineup too.

RTE trying to go under?

• Advertisement

yungwan wrote: »
    Not surprised on the Nikki Hayes front, she always annoyed me. But at the same time I am sad she lost her job, I am sure one of the Dublin stations will take her though. Not good for the confidence though.
    She wouldn't have been my style of DJ but I do feel sorry for her. They were fairly callous the way they did it. Not very nice. She'd have been better than Lucy Kennedy for weekend breakfast... But that wouldn't be hard. Nikki seemed to gel well in the weekend slot.
    ncmc wrote: »
    I think Hector is actually a good choice.
    Oh, I don't know.A bit too heavy for that time of day. I doubt Ian Dempsey will have a sleepless night anyway!
    If anything she's made a good case for not getting another gig!
    What a complete and utter disaster.
    Yeah. I'd tend to agree there.
    Yeah. and several more over the past few years. How many breakfast show hosts since Ian Dempsey went to Today FM? Six??
    rovert wrote: »
    Did they pick presenters out of a hat?
    No. Maybe they should have. It might have been a bit more inspired!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I honestly can't think of a single person I wouldn't rather listen to in the morning than fecking Hector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

It is pretty bad alright. With all the changes that have happened over there during the past while. It is amazing that they keep churning out the same old faces. I realise Hector is new to weekday radio, but he should have been left where he was strong, with Tommy T at the weekends. Get some bloody new talent in to 2FM.

To be honest, I wasn't a fan of Nikki Hayes on the radio, but it seems she has been treated badly, and doesn't deserve that. She's quite good at what she does, just not my cup of tea.

Hopefully Jim Jim wont have a problem settling in elsewhere.

Good luck 2FM, you'll bloody well need it !

From http://www.rte.ie/radio/newseason/2fm.html :
    Baz Ashmawy and Lucy Kennedy bring their winning formula to 2fm's weekend breakfast as the dynamic duo wake up your weekends with more madness than is strictly necessary.

"winning formula"???? "dynamic duo"???

Sorry, but that made me laugh.

Quite a bit...

So they'll have nine DJ's (plus associated hangers on in studio I guess) each day. Hector and Tubridy won't be cheap so the wage bill will have increased substantially. Fascinating isn't it? BTW, who's on early breakfast now or is that scrapped? I didn't see any mention of it. IMO Jenny Huston is absolutely wasted on her nightime slot. She's been excellent on that morning slot and would probably have been a better choice for the 11 to 1 slot?

And, aparrantley the reason Nikki was dropped was because of the shift in age profile of the target listener. But, she's right in the middle of that profile so that's a lame excuse. The whole Lucy and Baz thing flummoxes me though.

So they'll have nine DJ's (plus associated hangers on in studio I guess) each day. Hector and Tubridy won't be cheap so the wage bill will have increased substantially. Fascinating isn't it?

Really think Hector and Tubridy's wages (for 2FM alone) will match what they paid G. Ryan?

I agree in principle though... the shift to mostly shorter shows while other stations are getting more/longer shows out of their presenters (for the same or less money) is baffling.

Breakfast should really be 6-9 - but on 2FM it's 2 shows, a 6-7 and a 7-9. The gap left by G. Ryan is essentially being filled by 2 shows followed by a 1 hour show that keeps Mr. L. Gogan on the payroll.

IMHO there, you should have a 9-12, 12-2.30/3 and 2.30/3 to 5/6. Seems like TodayFM have that formula right...
    BTW, who's on early breakfast now or is that scrapped? I didn't see any mention of it.

Damien Farrelly has a 1 hour slot from 6-7am - which is a bit of a waste of a presenter if you ask me... https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.rte.ie/radio/newseason/2fm_schedule.pdf
    And, apparrantley the reason Nikki was dropped was because of the shift in age profile of the target listener. But, she's right in the middle of that profile so that's a lame excuse.
    That's what they told her apparently...
    Mind you, it doesn't really matter what age she is herself - you don't have to be in your target audience's age group (which she is) to be able to do programming that suits them (which, it seems, RTÉ think she isn't).
    The whole Lucy and Baz thing flummoxes me though.

You're not alone there, buddy...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 maccy

Baz and Lucy were so bad it was funny listening to them - they didnt know their arse from their elbow when they were on. Its like a bad substitute teacher its fun for a while but it grates on the nerves after a while.

The only good thing from this schedule is Paddy is getting a show albeit with Ruth Scott. But I did think him and Jim Jim were good in the morning. I'll miss them - not sure if I can handle Hector first thing on the way to work.

So will Nikki Hayes still be on RTE Pulse or XM or whatever one it was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it all stinks of cost-cutting.

Baz, Lucy Kennedy and Hector should not be anywhere near the airwaves.

f*cking horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

SlickRic wrote: »
    it all stinks of cost-cutting.

Baz, Lucy Kennedy and Hector should not be anywhere near the airwaves.

f*cking horrific.

In fairness, if they want to cut costs, they could get a few much superior presenters from other stations for less money. I don't know if it's a cost cutting exercise. More like cluelessness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So will Nikki Hayes still be on RTE Pulse or XM or whatever one it was?
    Nope, this from her facebook:
    Good morning my loves. I'm at meetings all day but took time out as I wanted you to hear from me not about me. Yes I am parting company with RTE after a brilliant 7 years broadcasting with 2fm and this year adding Pulse to the mix. I enjoyed hosting my own music show RTE 2 television and will always be thankful to John Clarke for taking me on board and continuously believing in me. I relish a challenge though and this is it . . . The start of a brand new chapter. It is not the end, not by a long shot. I'm very excited to see where the next road leads. I do apologise that I couldn't say goodbye, that gutted me and had it been my choice you know I would never just have left you like that. So I look forward to continuing on this journey with you all and thank you from the bottom of my heart for your love and constant support each day. Have a lovely wednesday and you'll be hearing from me very soon x x x

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    Nope, this from her facebook:
    Fair dues to her. Good luck! I'm sure there's a slot for her elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I like how 2FM are corralling some of the most annoying people in the country into their morning schedule. At least you know when to avoid tuning into them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Bard wrote: »
    From http://www.rte.ie/radio/newseason/2fm.html :

"winning formula"???? "dynamic duo"???

Sorry, but that made me laugh.

Quite a bit...
    More than the show will probably!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Fair dues to her. Good luck! I'm sure there's a slot for her elsewhere.

Pahahaha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

All Hail Lawerence of Gogania - still in demand and back at lunchtime at the age of 117!
    Here's a memo to the rest of the 2FM lineup. Just do more or less what he does and you'll be grand. Play the tunes, tell us what they were and SHUT THE **** UP!
    Thats it, thats all. Ye re not funny, ye re not Paxman ye're radio jocks.

All Hail Lawerence of Gogania - still in demand and back at lunchtime at the age of 117!
    Here's a memo to the rest of the 2FM lineup. Just do more or less what he does and you'll be grand. Play the tunes, tell us what they were and SHUT THE **** UP!
    Thats it, thats all. Ye re not funny, ye re not Paxman ye're radio jocks.
    Nail on head comes to mind. Spot on Timmy, and Larry still produces the numbers consistently despite being moved all over the shop. There's a lesson there for younger aspiring Jocks...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

For all those perplexed at the "luck" Lucy Kennedy has enjoyed, its all down to good old nepotism.

Her ould lad worked for RTE and i'm quite sure an uncle of hers is still their in a high ranking spot.

Its no different from the rest really. Todd Andrews, Tubridy and McSavage's grandfather was made head of RTE in the sixties so Tubridy was obviously seen as his legacy by RTE. McSavage has been crap for years and then he gets a tv show of his own.

The head of programming is married to Miriam O'Callagahan.

Eddie Doyle, Head of Entertainment, who has commissioned nothing but duds a has five family members employed in the All Ireland Talent Show.

Lucy Kennedy may be bad but the worst that will happen to her is that she'll be shuffled around wherever they can put her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

yup.

the da did the piano in a eurovision entry back in the 70s .

if half of RTE shagged the other half of RTE the missing link wouldnt be far behind.

:)

on the OP.

Wow. hector. really ?

cant see the comercial lads getting worried about this line up. in fact im beginng to wonder just how well RTE could do without the liscence fee now.

methinks massive pay cuts would be on the books as theyre ad revenue is taking a pounding. UTV is out preforming them !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭prunudo

Well I dont know where RTE are going with this. Enjoyed the T&H show on saturdays but dont think i'll be tuning into Hector every morning. I feel sorry for Jim Jim, enjoyed listening to him for the last 6/7 years for breakfast. Even more sorry for Nikki Hayes, wasnt mad on her shows, but many were and i'd say she is gutted she cant say goodbye to them (even though she seems postive in her facebook reply).

All these short 2 hour shows, You'll just be getting into a show and it will be over. I and many people wake early, I want the same presenter on when i wake at 6 oclock as when i'm driving to work an hour later.

I'm looking forward to Tubridy on monday and also to see how Colm gets on. I'll give them a chance but if i dont like them i'll be switching to Nova if their test is anything to go by.

Jayob10 wrote: »
    For all those perplexed at the "luck" Lucy Kennedy has enjoyed, its all down to good old nepotism.

Her ould lad worked for RTE and i'm quite sure an uncle of hers is still their in a high ranking spot.

Its no different from the rest really. Todd Andrews, Tubridy and McSavage's grandfather was made head of RTE in the sixties so Tubridy was obviously seen as his legacy by RTE. McSavage has been crap for years and then he gets a tv show of his own.

The head of programming is married to Miriam O'Callagahan.

Eddie Doyle, Head of Entertainment, who has commissioned nothing but duds a has five family members employed in the All Ireland Talent Show.

Lucy Kennedy may be bad but the worst that will happen to her is that she'll be shuffled around wherever they can put her.

Gerry Ryan's godfather was Eamon Andrews, who was Chairman of the Radio Eireann Authority in the 60's.

2fm producer Lindy Clarke is the daughter of the former head of 2fm, John Clarke.

The current head of 2fm, John McMahon, is married to Evelyn O'Rourke.

• Advertisement
Advertisement