Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE 2FM - New Schedule version 5.0

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Jayob10 wrote: »
    For all those perplexed at the "luck" Lucy Kennedy has enjoyed, its all down to good old nepotism.

Her ould lad worked for RTE and i'm quite sure an uncle of hers is still their in a high ranking spot.

Its no different from the rest really. Todd Andrews, Tubridy and McSavage's grandfather was made head of RTE in the sixties so Tubridy was obviously seen as his legacy by RTE. McSavage has been crap for years and then he gets a tv show of his own.

The head of programming is married to Miriam O'Callagahan.

Eddie Doyle, Head of Entertainment, who has commissioned nothing but duds a has five family members employed in the All Ireland Talent Show.

Lucy Kennedy may be bad but the worst that will happen to her is that she'll be shuffled around wherever they can put her.

You just answered a question that has been on my mind for a long time. THANK YOU!

I kind of intuitively knew there must be some ulterior reason as to why Lucy Kennedy and Ryan Tubridy (there are many others) seem to be given jobs regardless of experience or quality. It's sickening that this kind of stuff goes on so blatantly in 2010. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭prunudo

Rubik. wrote: »
    Gerry Ryan's godfather was Eamon Andrews, who was Chairman of the Radio Eireann Authority in the 60's.

2fm producer Lindy Clarke is the daughter of the former head of 2fm, John Clarke.

The current head of 2fm, John McMahon, is married to Evelyn O'Rourke.

Between these and the other connections it's like one big family in there. Doesn't G.Ryan's brother work there as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Gerry Ryan's godfather was Eamon Andrews, who was Chairman of the Radio Eireann Authority in the 60's.
    Is that correct..really?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Is that correct..really?:confused:

Yeah. He was also his uncle by marriage, his wife being Gerry's mothers sister.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/bono-farrell-pay-respects-at-funeral-of-gerry-ryans-stoical-mother-66323.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Ok folks back to the Topic please. Enough of the family history.

What makes me laugh even more is the babysitting service on the breakfast show for the next 6 weeks by a woman who when she got the gig some years back recorded some of the worst ever listnership figures for that timeslot on 2fm.

Its baffling stuff altogether. Best thing Jim did was leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

bbability wrote: »
    Ok folks back to the Topic please. Enough of the family history.

What makes me laugh even more is the babysitting service on the breakfast show for the next 6 weeks by a woman who when she got the gig some years back recorded some of the worst ever listnership figures for that timeslot on 2fm.

Its baffling stuff altogether. Best thing Jim did was leave.

Who's that?

Ruth Scott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭2manyconditions

2fm are def going downhill and fast. Don't listen to radio in the morning but I'm not missing out on much with this lot.

Shockin bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Ruth Scott

Ah FFS. Why the hell are they putting her in there? They should leave Paddy McKenna covering the morning show, he's been doing a great job on his own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Ah FFS. Why the hell are they putting her in there? They should leave Paddy McKenna covering the morning show, he's been doing a great job on his own.

I don't like Paddy or Ruth. She facked it up once, why put her there again?! Idiots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Magi11

I'd say Today FM's listenership will increase, although I think people put up with Dempsey's banality just for the comic pieces. 2FM know what audience they are after but have no idea how to get them.

Magi11 wrote: »
    I'd say Today FM's listenership will increase, although I think people put up with Dempsey's banality just for the comic pieces. 2FM know what audience they are after but have no idea how to get them.

What audience are they after?

Judging by this latest change, Jim-Jim out and Hector in, they are clearly throwing their chips in to win the non-Dublin audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I like the way they have washed their hands of being a youth station for the tweenagers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Do the great and the good of the radio forum thing that 2fm should be sold off ?

BTW this is fast becoming my favourite forum here. I just think radio is a great medium when done right. Anyway sorry for rambling.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Do the great and the good of the radio forum thing that 2fm should be sold off ?

QUOTE]

Well, I'm a new fish but a long time radio listener, and I think it absolutely think it should be sold off.

As a public service it's no longer required, there's plenty of commercial stations catering to the "youth"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I think that the new line up is a part of an inside job to lower that eventual sale price actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

Sorry 2FM, you really have descended into hell.

Thankfully theres always BBC Radio 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 animalhuger

They should make a Gerry Ryan station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Hector o Heochagain 7-9
    Ryan Tubridy 9-11

Looks like an odd combination to me.

I wouldn't have thought that these two would appeal to similar audiences. It makes Tubridy's job of keeping Gerry Ryan's old audience much harder.

I thought 2FM would have given Tubridy a more appropriate lead in (maybe Colm Hayes or Marty Whelan).

Magi11 wrote: »
    I don't think Ian is banal at all. He's a very genuine chap. He doesn't tend to descend to the barrel scraping levels of other Breakfast shows. That's a good thing. No? He also takes the show out to the people very regularly and, I believe, he stole a march on 2FM by doing that. Colm and JimJim gave the impression (rightly or wrongly) that they were still broadcasting only to Dublin.
    coonecb1 wrote: »
    What audience are they after?
    Whatever rthey can get at this stage I'd say. They can't afford to be choosey. They're on a level with Today FM and the only ammunition they have is Ryan Tubridy. Today FM could easily steal a significant lead now if they just tightened things up a bit and upped the standard a tad.
    I don't. I believe we need a national state owned broadcaster. I believe they should be far better regulated than they are in terms of how they use their money. THey need a salary cap. Not to give the others a chance but to cut the dependency on the tax payer who (one way or another) is financing the massive unnecessary salaries of Finucane, Kenny, Tubbers, Duffy and co.
    SkidMark wrote: »
    Hector o Heochagain 7-9
    Ryan Tubridy 9-11

Looks like an odd combination to me.

I wouldn't have thought that these two would appeal to similar audiences. It makes Tubridy's job of keeping Gerry Ryan's old audience much harder.

I thought 2FM would have given Tubridy a more appropriate lead in (maybe Colm Hayes or Marty Whelan).
    Agreed. Marty Whelan was dragging the breakfast show back up steadily during that year they brought him back. He's similar in style to Ian Dempsey. Not your usual smart ares breakfast show DJ. People do like that.

... End of sermon... My dear people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I actually had a fair bit of time for Nicki Hayes. It's not that I was a regular listener or anything but when I did tune in I always felt she had a nice way about her. Definitely one of the nicer female voices on radio.
    That facebook comment doesn't make for nice reading. Not being given a chance to say goodbye to your listeners is a little bit shít.

Aidric wrote: »
    I actually had a fair bit of time for Nicki Hayes. It's not that I was a regular listener or anything but when I did tune in I always felt she had a nice way about her. Definitely one of the nicer female voices on radio.
    That facebook comment doesn't make for nice reading. Not being given a chance to say goodbye to your listeners is a little bit shít.
    I wasn't a fan of her earlier stuff on 2FM but that was the music she was playlisted to play rather than herself. I didn't listen to 2fm much at all during the last few years - too old (me not them!!). I liked her Sunday afternoon show. She'll pop up again soon somewhere else. Loads of people have been dropped by RTE over the years and emerged elsewhere: Jimmy Greeley, Phil Cawley, Declan Meehan (famously!), Mark Cagney etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bocoda

looking forward to Hector in the morns,think he might shock us all!

the station is a mess since the late Gerry Ryan left us,i`ll give Tubs a chance see how he gets on he has massive boots to fill!! cant be listening to Ray Darcy anymore same thing week in week out you could set your clock on the different topics each day!!

Rick o Shea should have got the chop,does my head in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

It's a bit of a head scratch another change of the schedule, Tubs in the morning is a good move however he's live tomorrow morning instead of Monday I would of thought pick one day and change everything advertising big launch etc for the entire station.

Hector getting the breakfast show is a head scratch - why didn't they pair him with Jim Jim that might have worked he doesn't start until October ?? Colm's programme should be a good move I liked him in the 9-12 slot and should have a good lead in numbers wise from Tubs.

Larry Gogan is still there?? Will they not move him on to R1 or Lyric. Rick O Shea in the afternoon will find it tough against Foley & Fenton - not a fan at all of his show.

Also after much fanfare of the relaunched website last year, I notice it's changed again - like the new version, the last version was crap, but seriously what a waste of money - I wonder is 2FM still in the black?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I wonder is 2FM still in the black?
    For now it is. It won't be when all that Gerry Ryan advert revenue dries up.

PFL wrote: »
    I wonder is 2FM still in the black?

2fm created a 3.5 million euro surplus on revenues of 20 million euro in 2008. Can't find 2fm's figures from last year, but RTE radio as a whole made a surplus of 700,000 euros in 2009 . I assume most, if not all, of that came from 2fm. This is down 75% on 2008's figure - so it would still be the black, but significantly down on 2008.

Add in that they have two extra shows a weekday now and extra presenters at the weekends so there's a hike in the payroll. Ad revenue has dropped all over this year again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Add in that they have two extra shows a weekday now and extra presenters at the weekends so there's a hike in the payroll. Ad revenue has dropped all over this year again.

While I agree that there's probably too many shows (and shows with too short a running time) in the schedule now, I wouldn't count on there being a "hike in the payroll" - particularly considering that Jim Nugent and Nikki Hayes are no longer on the books - not to mention the loss of Gerry Ryan and his substantial salary.

Bard wrote: »
    While I agree that there's probably too many shows (and shows with too short a running time) in the schedule now, I wouldn't count on there being a "hike in the payroll" - particularly considering that Jim Nugent and Nikki Hayes are no longer on the books - not to mention the loss of Gerry Ryan and his substantial salary.
    Maybe so, but Tubbers won't be too far behind G. Ryan on the salary and none of those bumped down to two hours will have taken a pay cut. That's not how it goes in RTE. And the comparison to Nikki Hayes, well there's two people in the slot now that she occupied on her own. Hector won't be cheap either. Colm Hayes will probably be still on the contract rate he signed up for for breakfast...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I don't see why Hector, Colm Hayes, Lucy Kennedy, or Baz Hamsandwich would be on huge money really.

Plus, regarding Tubs, if you're taking 2fm's budget into account as a seperate entity, you'd have to factor out the TV part of his salary really.

Still, I agree with you in principle - 2fm don't seem to be tightening their belts like most other stations have had to recently...

• Advertisement

Bard wrote: »
    Still, I agree with you in principle - 2fm don't seem to be tightening their belts like most other stations have had to recently...
    Yeah but they don't have to tighten the belt as much as others. If they turn a loss it'll be propped up by us the Government. The may make a small profit but regardless, they don't have shareholders and banks/investors to satisfy like every Independent station.

Yeah but they don't have to tighten the belt as much as others. If they turn a loss it'll be propped up by us the Government. The may make a small profit but regardless, they don't have shareholders and banks/investors to satisfy like every Independent station.

Lenny your turning this into a wage discussion again. We are talking about the schedule not peoples pay packets.

I'd say willie o really is laughing at this carry on. While today fm seem to carry on regardless rte are constantly changing this and changing that. It's a sure sign that there's too many cooks....

Lenny your turning this into a wage discussion again. We are talking about the schedule not peoples pay packets.
    Sorry. Yeah you're right.
    I'd say willie o really is laughing at this carry on. While today fm seem to carry on regardless rte are constantly changing this and changing that. It's a sure sign that there's too many cooks....
    Correct again. Yeah. Today FM have remained contant and consistent over the years. I wonder if Mr O'Reilly was ever approached to go back there to sort it out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

The slow death continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

2fm created a 3.5 million euro surplus on revenues of 20 million euro in 2008. Can't find 2fm's figures from last year, but RTE radio as a whole made a surplus of 700,000 euros in 2009 . I assume most, if not all, of that came from 2fm. This is down 75% on 2008's figure - so it would still be the black, but significantly down on 2008.

I wouldn't assume that at all... Afaik, Morning Ireland is still the most-listened to show across all the stations.

As regards the payroll... Are most of the 'new' signings not faces who've been knocking around RTE for ages? I think it's a matter of getting a bit of bang for their buck for staffers such as Lucy Kennedy and Baz? Dunno what the story with Hector is... Will production crew from old breakfast crew move down to Galway or will it be produced from Dublin. Moving a crew to Galway sounds like a HR nightmare...

I wouldn't assume that at all... Afaik, Morning Ireland is still the most-listened to show across all the stations.

I was basing it on this... http://www.rte.ie/about/literature/licencefee.pdf . In 2007 8% of the licence fee went to RTE Radio 1, 6% to RnaG and 4% to lyric fm. Whereas 2fm was a net contributor. But thats all a bit irrelevent now, as the figures I gave are now well and truly out of date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

Over the years RTE have changed the line up on 2FM about twice a year (more frequent this year) the only sure thing you could rely on was the late Gerry Ryan in the 9-12 slot. When Today FM and Newstalk started out they made a schedule and stuck with it for the most part with one or two major shake ups, why can't 2FM limit their changing of the schedule to once every 4 years or so. Hector and Baz will be gone by this time next year and a new shake up will be needed.

I think Larry Gogan should retire i've nothing against him but i think he could let someone new in to take his place, not a celeb presenter obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I thought I was hearing things this morning when I heard Louise Heraghty reading the sport on 2FM - but just checked her twitter and seems its her alright.

http://twitter.com/louiseheraghty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

so what was the age profile before the change? :confused: just wondering.....

edit: sorry didn't notice it's an old thread

• Advertisement
Advertisement