Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp Your Society here, 2010/2011

• 17-08-2010 10:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭

Tell us what your society is about, and why people should join. Even if you're just a member, feel free to extol the virtues of your favourite societies.

Happy Pimiping! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Suppose I'd better go get the ball rolling here then:

PHYSOC - UCC PHYSICS SOCIETY

Anyone out there with even the slightest interest in Physics should come join PhySoc. It has the perfect balance between being an academic society and a social society - we have special lectures by staff members, students or guest speakers on interesting topics in physics (with milk and cookies provided!) aswell as many great nights out. Some of the highlights last year included:

*Trip to CERN
    *90's-themed Table Quiz
    *Two mystery tours
    *Christmas Party
    *The famous (or infamous, depending on who you talk to! :p) Maths & Physics Ball.

I was social secretary for PhySoc in 2009/10 and am sitting on the committee again this year as an ex-Officio. You don't have to be a Physics student to join up - everyone is welcome. :)

Our website is located here: http://physoc.ucc.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Suppose I'd better go get the ball rolling here then:

PHYSOC - UCC PHYSICS SOCIETY

Anyone out there with even the slightest interest in Physics should come join PhySoc. It has the perfect balance between being an academic society and a social society - we have special lectures by staff members, students or guest speakers on interesting topics in physics (with milk and cookies provided!) aswell as many great nights out. Some of the highlights last year included:

*Trip to CERN
    *90's-themed Table Quiz
    *Two mystery tours
    *Christmas Party
    *The famous (or infamous, depending on who you talk to! :p) Maths & Physics Ball.

I was social secretary for PhySoc in 2009/10 and am sitting on the committee again this year as an ex-Officio. You don't have to be a Physics student to join up - everyone is welcome. :)

Our website is located here: http://physoc.ucc.ie/

You went to CERN?!?!?!?! :eek: Where the hell was I?!?!? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭JohnyDarko

NETSOC - UCC GAMING, NETWORKING & TECHNOLOGY SOCIETY

Anyone whos even sort of into gaming should definitely consider joining NetSoc although, being Auditor this year I guess I'm a LITTLE biased. We (hopefully) are planning to bring some big things this year, but to give a little idea of what we get up to, check out our website or some of the events from last year below.
    • Trip to the London EuroGamer Expo (which was only €50 each for three days including flights + accom!) which we'll hopefully be returning to this year
    • Halo 3 Tournement (with cash prize)
    • Mario Kart Night (Gamecube, N64, Wii)
    • Fortnightly LAN nights
    • Intervarsity LAN gaming competition against CIT (a (kinda) draw, and will hopefully expand beyond CS:S and TF2 this year!)
    • XHTML & PHP Tutorial (This year we'll do a Java one as if VD is teaching it again this year, CS students in particular will need)
    • NetSoc Fugitive during rag week
    • King of Fighters Tournament (with our lovely golden belt as a trophy)
    • Weekly NetSoc podcast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Netsoc don't do any Linux stuff, do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

Netsoc don't do any Linux stuff, do they?
    What do you mean by "Linux stuff"? My interest is piqued...

• Advertisement

We will if theres any demand for it, I had an idea a few years ago for a sort of "Introduction to Linux" night, where we'd bring along a few cd of Ubuntu or Fedora (as they're the only ones I've any experience with) have a laptop hooked up to the projector and show people how to install, setup, find drivers, useful free programs, terminal usage and how create basic scripts..... but then it was pointed out that nobody would really be interested in it!

But if you come along to any random event I'm sure there'd be a few people who'd LOVE to tell you at length how much better Windows 7/OSX/TinyOS/Win3.2/OpenSUZE are and why whatever you like sux0rs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

UnionOfV wrote: »
    What do you mean by "Linux stuff"? My interest is piqued...

I don't know really! Anything...

I know a few Linux users in UCC, though I don't know if there's anything we could actually do were we to "organise" into something. Maybe bum a server off of the CS department and set up a Linux server for the lulz. :pac:
    JohnyDarko wrote: »
    But if you come along to any random event I'm sure there'd be a few people who'd LOVE to tell you at length how much better Windows 7/OSX/TinyOS/Win3.2/OpenSUZE are and why whatever you like sux0rs

Looks like a few NetSoc folks are in need of some education. :D

I know a few Linux users in UCC, though I don't know if there's anything we could actually do were we to "organise" into something. Maybe bum a server off of the CS department and set up a Linux server for the lulz. :pac:

Hah! You can try.... I offered to GIVE them some old Sun Servers for students to use or take apart that some guy who used to study here had to get rid of them from Sun offered me and they wouldn't take them! Although in fairness NetSoc do have our own server (Windows 2008, so future Webmasters can use it easily, much to the annoyance of some guy at our EGM two years ago!) and CS students can run their own off the kubuntu OS on the compters here :D

Also, on topic, Science Soc + E&S events = win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

PHOTOSOC - UCC Photography Soceity.

I'm a commity member, Nothing arranging stuff but still a member.
    This soceity is usually a big hit with everyone, Irish and erasmus students and everyone get's along.

There are planned trips during the year, Usually to a good few places for photography/beers/fun!

Also Guest speakers come along so if you're a beginner or an amateur photographer come along and you'll be sure to learn something and have some fun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KalEl88

New art society supposedly starting up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

I suppose I'll have to do my bit here for E+S Soc -

E+S is the UCC Entrepreneurial and Social Society, and has a range of events every year to cover both of these areas - so that includes some great speakers and some fresh innovative and fun social events.

Events held in the past include:
    - European Mystery Tour (went to Paris in year one and Majorca last year)
    - Talks by Bill Cullen, JP McManus, Frankie Sheehan, Donal Og Cusack and more.
    - The first ever UCC Dragons Den competition.
    - An annual Bright Ideas contest where good business ideas from UCC students are rewarded.
    - Annual Iron Stomach contest which happened in the old bar last year during R&G week.

Huge team on board for next year with tonnes of new events planned so certainly one to keep an eye for some fun events and great talks.

Website www.ucceands.com currently in development, will be up and running for freshers week.

Dont forget you can sign up to any society mailing list to keep informed of their events by visiting http://www.collegeroad.ie/societies/join-a-society.html - a new feature introduced this summer which should make it easier than ever to join your favourite society.

Also, for a list of websites and facebook pages of each society - visit http://www.collegeroad.ie/societies/index

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

I know that E and S has great events during the year but I was wondering what you guys do for your weekly meetings? For example you know the way Fine Gael and Philisoph have debates on diff topics each week! Interested in joining and just wondering what it would entail...:D

I know that E and S has great events during the year but I was wondering what you guys do for your weekly meetings? For example you know the way Fine Gael and Philisoph have debates on diff topics each week! Interested in joining and just wondering what it would entail...:D

Hey, in the past E+S havent traditionally had a public house meeting (like FG or phil would have), instead E+S would have regular talks and social events, but not as frequently as every week. Being a member would mean getting the free membership card on societies day and coming to any of the events that interest you. Sign up to the mailing list in the previous post i mentioned to hear about all their events in your student email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

Ah I see! Really want to join a society to meet new people, guessing E and S wouldnt be the best for that then seen as the events are so spread out! Can anyone recommend a suitable club/society? Not really into sports so all of them are out!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

Capriccio might be worth considering if you're any way into music at all. Thursday nights in the New Bar- there's an open mic night that's worth a listen. There's always a laid-back, friendly atmosphere (and free sandwiches too!), and anyone can get up and play if they feel like it. I saw someone get up and play the kazoo last year, so you don't need to be a prodigy or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

Can somebody tell wtf the cowpunchers society is?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ah I see! Really want to join a society to meet new people, guessing E and S wouldnt be the best for that then seen as the events are so spread out! Can anyone recommend a suitable club/society? Not really into sports so all of them are out!

Netsoc,FilmSoc,ScifiSoc,Dramat?

What are you interested in really

pbowenroe wrote: »
    Its the food science society, dont really know how they got the name but trust me it has nothing to do with punching cows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 HammyMcHamster

UCC Chemical Society - home of the hamster

The chemical society will be celebrating our first meetin on the 12th of November 1925 this year. 85 years later chemsoc is still a quirky little society with lighthearted weekly meetings to discuss everything from academic stuff to terrible nerdy jokes :-) we also organise a huge range of events for EVERYONE in ucc and not just chemistry students, while at the same time providing a social society for all our students (postgrads and undergrads)

Some of our past events include:
    • Annual Chemistry Ball (October)
    • The John Tobin Table Quiz (Largest in UCC - 59 teams last year)
    • Chemical Bingo Nights X3
    • Cartoon Nights (Pinky and the Brain) X 3
    • Ice Skating Christmas party
    • Coffee mornings
    • Industry Lecture Series
    • Chemistry Magic Shows (raised 200euro during RAG week last year)
    • End of Year BBQ and Summer BBQ
    • Mystery Tour
    • Annual Chemistry 5-aside Football Cup (12teams last year)
    2011 is the international year of chemistry and as such will be a great year for the society.

Find us on Face book:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34659410167&ref=ts

Or Visit our website which will be updated for the new year:
    http://chemsoc.ucc.ie

1988: Nominated Best society
    1991: Won most improved Society
    2009: Won Most Improved Society + 4 other nominations
    2010: Nominated Best Society + Nominated best financial

2 bene merenti Winners, 2 STAR award winners

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BigDaddyCan

UCC DJ Soc - Ravin' & Not Behavin' since 2003

the UCC DJ Society is for anybody interested in the art of DJing or music in general, we run a couple of club nights throughout the year and every year host the RAG week battle of the DJs which is basically a week long rave starting at 2 every afternoon!

this year we are organising a trip to the Belgian "I Love Techno" festival in mid november

we also organise workshops for people interested in learning how to DJ!

for more info email dj@uccsocieties.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Looking for a new sport to take up in college?..
    Then look no further Ultimate is for you!
    As Social as it is Athletic!You'll find plenty of friends within the team!

http://sites.google.com/site/uccskulltimate/

Our Achievements for the Season past can be found at our above website
    But we are currently Varsity Champions!So no better place to start
    And Most Improved Club of 09/10
    The planned events for the Season Ahead which we hope you will be involved in!,can also be found at our website

Feel free to join the forum and talk with the team there more than happy to talk and fill you in on all that needs knowing

You'll get to travel all over Ireland for tournaments!
    Get Fit
    Make Friends all over the country from other teams!
    And come summer you may be representing your country

Sound interesting?
    Come to our Info Evening
    27th of September
    Boole 1
    7pm

Any questions feel free to PM me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

pbowenroe wrote: »

Food Science Soc...But as i do believe i was told when i joined...they just get drunk all year:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Sktchr

Dramat - Society of the Year 2010 ;)

http://www.uccdramat.com/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭flynny51

samf wrote: »
    trust me it has nothing to do with punching cows!

Lies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

where is there a list of all the different societies?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KalEl88

Art Society AGM in 3 weeks time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

Anybody have any information on the poker society?

http://www.ucc.ie/pokersoc/

It's out of date though, best bet would be to email them - poker@uccsocieties.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

flynny51 wrote: »
    http://www.ucc.ie/pokersoc/

It's out of date though, best bet would be to email them - poker@uccsocieties.ie

A lot of the clubs/societies websites are out of date unfortunately.

Advertisement