Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp Your Society here, 2010/2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Sktchr

I went to the PokerSoc quite a few times last year...I get the impression they gave up on the website...

They hold a weekly 12e tourney (10e in with 2e going towards an accumulated prize pool for the end of year "Tournament of Champions" event.). It's good craic, they're all sound out and its nice and cheap.

Grand way to get to know a few people and play your game of cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

Sktchr wrote: »
    I went to the PokerSoc quite a few times last year...I get the impression they gave up on the website...

They hold a weekly 12e tourney (10e in with 2e going towards an accumulated prize pool for the end of year "Tournament of Champions" event.). It's good craic, they're all sound out and its nice and cheap.

Grand way to get to know a few people and play your game of cards.

for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Sktchr

Dave47 wrote: »
    for sure

Fo' Shoooo' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 myImage

Is there a juggling/circus society? Can’t see one on the unions index of societies but I am sure there used to be one. If it is gone does anybody have interest in restarting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

myImage wrote: »
    Is there a juggling/circus society? Can’t see one on the unions index of societies but I am sure there used to be one. If it is gone does anybody have interest in restarting it?

Yeah there is. They meet at 6 o'clock in The Mardyke on a Thursday, I think... I went in semester 1, which was a long time ago, so I don't remember exactly when it was on...

• Advertisement

If they have no link on the index whats the best way to find out about times etc? Will they just flyer around the place? Im new to these things, cheers for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

There is a juggling club if that's what you are thinking of. Its listed as juggling and acrobalance so may have other circusy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

There'll be a clubs and socs day on campus someday, either next week or the week after, and you can find out everything about all the clubs that day.

great, thanks for help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 UCC Philosoph

UCC Philosoph (offically known as the UCC Philosophical Society) is the primary debating society in UCC.

So basically if you are interested in debating yourself, listening to topical issues being debated by famous and respected experts, developing your own public speaking skills or just meeting new people the Philosoph can help.

Every Monday the society holds a debate or an address by a guest speaker on a topical issue, for example; "That this house would Arrest the Pope" is the inaugural debate of the 161st session. Respected people in the field present arguments and then there is an open floor where basically anyone can stand up and say their piece.

On Tuesdays there is speaker development. It is really casual. Bunch of people meet outside the Kane building at about 19.00. The development officer, an experienced debater leads the session. It is just a chance to practice speaking in public in front of a small crowd which is great for people who have to make presentations in college. Beginners are paired with people with experience and it is set up to be enjoyable and build confidence.

At the weekend there are often competitive debates which you can decide to attend or not. But it provides a great chance to travel at the University's expense. There are competitions in London, Oxford, Cambridge, Dublin, Galway, Limerick and the World Championships are in Botswana this year.

After every event and at every competition there is a social so there really is a huge focus on people being relaxed and making friends. The Philosoph is not at all your stereotypical debating society so do not let preconceptions put you off popping into any meetings. Everyone is welcome be you a speaker, a listener or a social butterfly!

Check out the website at www.uccphilosoph.com/thehouse or e-mail the PRO at publicrelations@uccphilosoph.com if you want more information, otherwise just turn up at any of our events!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

Sktchr wrote: »
    Fo' Shoooo' :D

ah yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

We'll be at clubs day, and our first practise will be this Thursday 9pm - 10.30 Multipurpose Studio, in the Mardyke. That rooms above the climbing wall say, so up the stairs turn to the right and walk down the end of the corridor

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Brian_N

HeadPig wrote: »
    Anybody have any information on the poker society?
    Just after seeing this now as I'm not on boards a lot. I think the main question has been answered already. The website given is very old and I don't have access to change it. Our new website can be found at https://sites.google.com/site/uccpokersoc/

Poker Society

• Weekly €12 freezeout in the elec eng room L1 @ 6.30 pm on Mondays
    • Leaderboard held throughout the year
    • Weekly winners and top 10 on leaderboard (excl weekly winners) will qualify for end of year "Tournament of Champions"
    • Tournament of Champions includes heads up tourney and also a deep stack main event.The prizepool is made up of the 2 euros that are taken from each person's buy in each week. 100% of this goes to prizepool.
    • Plans for a weekly online tournament this year also if demand is there.
    • Will be sending people to the Paddy Power Student Masters event this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chantal08

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KalEl88

The new Art Society will have its first official drawing session in a couple of weeks. It will be a still life drawing class and will cater for absolute beginners and experienced artists. For the beginners there will be a few of us around to help out to give guidance and help with tips and techniques.

Email us at art@uccsocieties.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

I was at the poker society tournament tonight and for anyone that was thinking of going but didn't I would recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

pbowenroe wrote: »
    I was at the poker society tournament tonight and for anyone that was thinking of going but didn't I would recommend it.

NVM--Im a tired idiot......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

pbowenroe wrote: »
    I was at it a few times last year and it seemed grand.Can i ask why you wouldn't recommend it? Just curious :p

He said he would recommend it Papa. Think you jumped the gun there a bit :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

He said he would recommend it Papa. Think you jumped the gun there a bit :p

I shouldn't be on the computer without having slept for the last two days...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

Where meeting Thursdays 9 - 10.30 pm, in the multipurpose Studio, mardyke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

KalEl88 wrote: »
    The new Art Society will have its first official drawing session in a couple of weeks. It will be a still life drawing class and will cater for absolute beginners and experienced artists. For the beginners there will be a few of us around to help out to give guidance and help with tips and techniques.[EMAIL="art@"][/EMAIL]

I was at your first event tonight, t'was awesome! Thanks for organising it, I'll definitely be going to more in future. Getting the guys from the Medieval & Renaissance Society to pose for life drawing in future is a brilliant idea, can't wait for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭m2wua0ox56iz93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

When is the Accounting and Finance Ball?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭m2wua0ox56iz93

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

UCC For Choice!

UCC Pro choice are holding their first meeting this Thursday 15th October at 6pm in Boole 5! All Welcome to discuss upcoming activities for this year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Well done! Will see you there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

panda100 wrote: »
    UCC For Choice!

UCC Pro choice Society are holding their first meeting this Thursday 15th October at 6pm in Boole 5! All Welcome to discuss upcoming activities for this year :)

There is no Pro-Choice society in UCC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

x43r0 wrote: »
    There is no Pro-Choice society in UCC

Yes, you are completely and utterly right. I just posted it on the society's notices here as I thought it the best place for UCC event notices, sorry mods!

UCC Pro Choice is not a recognised society on campus , but we do have the intentions to become one. We are holding the meeting to collect signatures and try and see If people are interested in getting involved in such a society.

All mighty Oaks must grow from small seedlings after all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Hi,I'm webmaster of UCCFilmSociety.

We do exist.

We're showing Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince tonight at 6.30 in Boole 4.So if you're around college,maybe bored in the library,come along.We're awesome so might as well join us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Cillerz

On Saturday the 5th of February 2011, we will be hosting a "one-day economics conference". This will have general speakers and then breakout sessions. Topics:

1. Benefits of defaulting
    2. Stimulus
    3. Deficit - in particular what should be cut, tax rises, specifics, tax reliefs etc... what Argentina did and how China avoided meltdown with it's banking system.
    4. Monetary Reform - with international group Positive Money promising of their presence, provided there is no clashes.
    5. Alternatives

Advertisement