Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone in Cork wanna help me build my bike?..

• 17-08-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭

.. hi there,

Relatively new to cycling. Just finished getting all the parts for my road bike. All that needs doing now is putting it together.

I've asked around a few bikes shops and, so far, they'll all do the job. However, I want to be involved in the build and none of the shops I've asked will allow this. For health and safety reasons, maybe?

Anyone down this way interested?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

Hi There,

Do you realise you are risking your life, by letting an unskilled person assist you in assembling your bicycle????
    I used to work in the cycle trade, and building a bicycle is skilled work. It requires specalized tools and the experiance to use those tools correctly.

Obviously any bike shop, won't let you in their workshop. The potential for litigation is enormous, if anything goes wrong.

So please bring your frame and groupset, to a bike shop for assembly.

The life you save, may be your own:D

Happy Cycling:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Lemag,
    Consider letting the LBS put the bottom bracket in and the headset.

Additionally, the cranks may be a good idea. Having them do it will probably be cheaper than buying the tools to do it yourself.

Remember, experience often trumps knowledge.

Did the cables come precut? Too many newbies get into a cutting frenzy and wind up with cables too short.

Other than that, if you are mechancically inclined, there should be no problem. On the Shimano parts there's a little technical paper that comes and explains everything you need to know.

True, you are taking your life into your own hands. In my case, that's the safest place to be. I insist on doing all of my own work as I am the only person that I trust to do it. When that bike is descending hills at 50+mph, it is me and not the mechanic that's on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 shnoop

Building a bike is nothing more than bolting some parts together.A bike shop will charge you over €100 to build your bike.There is great satisfaction to be had from building your own bike and i pride myself on being able to build a bike from scratch to fully tuned in under 2 hours.Don't mind these scaremongers (probably work for bikeshops) you won't have a catastrophic failure,worst case you might have to re-tighten something or make some adjustments.If youve never done it before just take your time especially when it comes to cutting your forks leave them on the long side and cut more later if you have to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

shnoop wrote: »
    Building a bike is nothing more than bolting some parts together.A bike shop will charge you over €100 to build your bike.There is great satisfaction to be had from building your own bike and i pride myself on being able to build a bike from scratch to fully tuned in under 2 hours.Don't mind these scaremongers (probably work for bikeshops) you won't have a catastrophic failure,worst case you might have to re-tighten something or make some adjustments.If youve never done it before just take your time especially when it comes to cutting your forks leave them on the long side and cut more later if you have to.

I disagree with that it's just bolting some parts together, how as ever I don't feel it's as intimedating as some people make out either. You do need the correct tools which a home mechanic kit will cost you about €60 but you have them for life after that, a mechanic stand which will set you back over €100 but again you have it for life and they're good for washing the bike with also. If you make an error you may have to buy replacement parts so think of the cost involved there (recently I put on a chain which I may have done incorrectly which resulted in new chain, derailleur and a bent braise, it also may not have been my fault). There are also plenty of instructional videos on the net, I use bicycletutor.com. If you've any doubt in your mind you should hand it into a trained mechanic.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Duh! Of course you need the right tools.I don't think anyone would attempt to assemble a bike with their bare hands :eek: But i do agree with a bike stand being a good investment.

• Advertisement

Heres my list of bare essentials to build a bike.
    1. Set of metric allen keys
    2. Cable cutter
    3. Hacksaw to cut forks (or pipe cutter if aluminium)
    4. Chaintool
    5. Cassette tool
    6. Bottom bracket tool (Shimano Chainset comes with the tool which will also fit Campagnolo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭redmaxi

Hi Lemag, if you wanna bring the bike over to my place I'll supervise/instruct your assembly. T'aint rocket science like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

redmaxi wrote: »
    Hi Lemag, if you wanna bring the bike over to my place I'll supervise/instruct your assembly. T'aint rocket science like.

Thanks for the very generous offer redmaxi. The frameset which I've bought has the fork, stem and headset already in place. Would I need get the BB and chainset sorted before bringing it over to your place?

Whereabouts in Cork are you? (PM me if you can) Outside of normal working hours I should be able to meet you at your convenience. The only component which I'm waiting on is pedals which should arrive today or tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Most build errors will not be fatal.

If you're worried about safety just get a mechanic to spanner check it after you've built it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭redmaxi

PM sent, I am somewhat qualified by the way :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

Got the bike built in the end. Thanks a million redmaxi. Top guy with unbelievable patience. Here's the first snap -

eanIY.jpg

I'm delighted with it.

Just awaiting the arrival of the saddle and the pedals before the official weigh-in and the post on the 'images of beauty' thread.

Thanks for the advice folks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Tasty and with a good colour scheme :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Tasty and with a good colour scheme :D

I thought that the orange might be a bit too flash. Looks better in natural daylight though. I'll have to employ the services of my photographer friend for the big unveiling on the 'Post Images of Beauty' thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

Lemag wrote: »
    .. hi there,

Relatively new to cycling. Just finished getting all the parts for my road bike. All that needs doing now is putting it together.

I've asked around a few bikes shops and, so far, they'll all do the job. However, I want to be involved in the build and none of the shops I've asked will allow this. For health and safety reasons, maybe?

Anyone down this way interested?

Robbie in Rothar Cycles in Carrigaline will let you help build it. He's a gent and he's very good. It's a business so he'll obviously charge you for his time. Check out his website and call/facebook the shop.

Robbie in Rothar Cycles in Carrigaline will let you help build it. He's a gent and he's very good. It's a business so he'll obviously charge you for his time. Check out his website and call/facebook the shop.

A bit too late but cheers all the same. Hopefully that'll help someone else looking to do a build. Couldn't have worked out better for me than having redmaxi by my side.

Sold a full sus' trek to Robbie a few months back. Seemed like a nice bloke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭paulieb2006

Lemag wrote: »
    Got the bike built in the end. Thanks a million redmaxi. Top guy with unbelievable patience. Here's the first snap -

eanIY.jpg

I'm delighted with it.

Just awaiting the arrival of the saddle and the pedals before the official weigh-in and the post on the 'images of beauty' thread.

Thanks for the advice folks.

Super looking bike, really nice.
    A lot of crap in some of the previous posts when all you wanted was some help and guidance. IMHO if you do something drastically wrong in the build you prob wont get out the driveway before you realize something is up.
    Congrats on the new bike and the build, and fair play to redmaxi for guiding you.

Super looking bike, really nice.
    A lot of crap in some of the previous posts when all you wanted was some help and guidance. IMHO if you do something drastically wrong in the build you prob wont get out the driveway before you realize something is up.
    Congrats on the new bike and the build, and fair play to redmaxi for guiding you.

Thanks paulieb2006. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it that way.

Most of the posts seemed (to me anyway) to be well intentioned at least and offering helpful advice/opinions. At the end of the day the thread served its purpose very well when redmaxi came in with his very generous offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Fair play for getting the bike togather Lemag. Looks nice. Those bars are interesting. Anatomic drop is similar to the WCS Logic2 bars I have here. Actually on the lookout for a S/H other pair.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Fair play for getting the bike togather Lemag. Looks nice. Those bars are interesting. Anatomic drop is similar to the WCS Logic2 bars I have here. Actually on the lookout for a S/H other pair.

Cheers velo.2010. I have another new pair for sale over on adverts. They're size 44 (46 cm outside to outside) so you'd want to be a pretty big bloke.

Advertisement