Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom's Next Generation Broadband (NGB), is it here yet?

Options
  • 17-08-2010 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭

Been searching around wondering if this is available in Greystones yet. Cannot find it listed if completed or if planned to be completed.

Completed so far:UTV internet listed AvailibeWholesale
    To be completed this year: Where is next for NGB

Anyone got any inside knowledge when Greystones will be upgraded to this NGB??

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

http://ngb.ie/map.htm

doesn't look like Greystones is on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

Kilmacanogue is on the list for definite. I remember hearing something about 24mb capacity for Greystones alright, no mention of NGB though.

For shame.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I see a good portion of Meath is in line for NGB before the year is out but only Wicklow Town getting it in before Christmas. Probably a question for the net and comms section but why is a well populated area of Greystones (15k or so) not even listed when Wicklow only has circa 10k?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Heard yesterday - it will be next year before it hits Greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

is it really that good though - Vodafone will do already "up to 8mb" or "up to 24mb" over your phoneline. I know Eircom claim that NGB is uncontended but I've never noticed contention having that great an impact on DSL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

as an fyi the NGB is an upto 8mb "Managed Contention Service", its not truelly uncontended its just a marketing term for a new contention management technique.

Long thread over here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055930135

Also, this is not an upgrade from you to the exchange, its an exchange back to eircom upgrade; Some customers do get slightly faster speed but on the whole you get pretty much the same; Except when you go over your limit you will be charged for it.

There is nothing "Next Generation" about the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

NGB is a trap for non techies. Just go with a service that isnt oversold and under maintained. :)

Apparently... the coverage map on NGB website shows a good portion of north east Wicklow lined up for 8Mb broadband upgrade between Dec and March. It doesn't say which year :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭lendmeyourear

astrofluff wrote: »
    Been searching around wondering if this is available in Greystones yet. Cannot find it listed if completed or if planned to be completed.

Completed so far:UTV internet listed AvailibeWholesale
    To be completed this year: Where is next for NGB

Anyone got any inside knowledge when Greystones will be upgraded to this NGB??

does anyone know when 1mb broadband will arrive to me, just five miles from Maynooth....Eircom send me a card twice and gave me hope and I got the modem thingy and was sitting and waiting and waiting and charged the minute I got the wireless thingy and waited and waited for the engineers to 'jumper' me, but in the end, I would have to move my house nearer to Maynooth :-(((

so isn't it grand to be expecting 8mb service...wish I had that expectation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

does anyone know when 1mb broadband will arrive to me, just five miles from Maynooth....Eircom send me a card twice and gave me hope and I got the modem thingy and was sitting and waiting and waiting and charged the minute I got the wireless thingy and waited and waited for the engineers to 'jumper' me, but in the end, I would have to move my house nearer to Maynooth :-(((

so isn't it grand to be expecting 8mb service...wish I had that expectation

This thread is for the Greystones area. There is a general BB forum under the Tech heading.

@ Astro.
    If you can get UPC, i would dump DSL.
    The speed and price of UPC is unreal compared to any DSL providers and as mentioned above this NGB is a gimmick.
    Read some of the reviews on the BB forum and you will see what i mean. For Roughly the same price as 8Mb (actual for this area 3Mb) NGB with a 30GB cap you can get 20Mb (actual for this area 20Mb) on UPC with a 250GB cap.

Hope that makes sense.

• Advertisement

back at ya Damo...

I would have moved to UPC long ago but for the best cost effective phone package for me is still with UTV. It comes down to total international minutes and UPC doesn't cut the mustard at my usage.

I can put up with the current speed of the DSL at what they are now i.e. much better and the exchange in Greystones has still to migrate.

1144638164.png

Now, I don't know being a UTV internet customer if the exchange upgrade will benefit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Wow. Those are impressive numbers astrofluff. Which plan do you have? Orion? Plus?

I have UTV Clicksilver and am only getting 2.55/0.31.

back at ya Damo...

I would have moved to UPC long ago but for the best cost effective phone package for me is still with UTV. It comes down to total international minutes and UPC doesn't cut the mustard at my usage.

I can put up with the current speed of the DSL at what they are now i.e. much better and the exchange in Greystones has still to migrate.

1144638164.png

Now, I don't know being a UTV internet customer if the exchange upgrade will benefit me.

That is a great speed. When i first moved to Charlesland over 2 years ago i was told be a few DSL providers that the max was 3Mb and even that would be hard to achieve. Think someone was telling me some porky pies!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

I'm on vodafone for both my phone and broadband and I'm in Greystones, and am currently getting quite good speeds on my broadband.

1145594097.png

It's a 7mb package, so as you can see, that's more or less what I've got. I've been with two or three other suppliers in the past but this is by far the best.

I see a good portion of Meath is in line for NGB before the year is out but only Wicklow Town getting it in before Christmas. Probably a question for the net and comms section but why is a well populated area of Greystones (15k or so) not even listed when Wicklow only has circa 10k?!

Where might I see this map please. I got the rural broadband scheme from 3, bit of a laugh a minute...under the terms of this...if you were able to get a signal in the loo, that qualified as supply to your house. In my case, I was able to get it in a tiny bedroom at the end of the house but I wanted it in the main living room, after much aggravation, they supplied me with a unit that would bounce the signal from the tiny bedroom to the living room but not until I had a few rants and told them to stuff it. The downside is anyway, that it works, it doesn't, etc. always getting dropped. So I welcome this news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

@astro don't UPC have unlimited international minutes for 5 yoyos a month?

I'm getting 20mb, 1 plus box, two standard boxes and phone for 62 a month

Thanks Matt - I looked at the pricing a good while back so things could have changed since - thanks for letting me know and I'll look into it.

The profile I had last night was connected at 7.6Mb - got that off the router's status page. Now it's connected at 6.3Mb and below is the speed achieved...of course, there's always that contention issue which will drop the speed a little.

1145947895.png

***Edit

@Darter: It's Clicksilver Plus 7.6Mb Broadband.

Thanks Matt - I looked at the pricing a good while back so things could have changed since - thanks for letting me know and I'll look into it.

The profile I had last night was connected at 7.6Mb - got that off the router's status page. Now it's connected at 6.3Mb and below is the speed achieved...of course, there's always that contention issue which will drop the speed a little.

1145947895.png

Oh envy envy! a download speed of 5.28mb/s
    I saw in the magazine that comes with the Sunday Business Post that Eircom are the only operator that can provide 100% coverage across Ireland with DSL, 3G and Satellite.... only maybe I could get Satellite but I could not afford it... would that be megaeuro.

@astro don't UPC have unlimited international minutes for 5 yoyos a month?

I'm getting 20mb, 1 plus box, two standard boxes and phone for 62 a month

hmmm, my calls and phone are 55 euro a month...no broadband available,
    cannot get rid of my landline cos vodafone or the others will not work here, I am told its because of the tall trees around house...they recommended I cut them down, UPC included for our not so super digital signal hahaha.

Contention does not affect connection synch speed. You can connect at 7.6 and get 40k because so many people are using the same pipe. If your connection is dropping speed it means your line is not stable I.e. With high attenuation.

I would say your speed is dropping at night due interference from street lights.

Contention number of people using same pipe.

• Advertisement

Contention does not affect connection synch speed. You can connect at 7.6 and get 40k because so many people are using the same pipe. If your connection is dropping speed it means your line is not stable I.e. With high attenuation.

I would say your speed is dropping at night due interference from street lights.

Contention number of people using same pipe.

Just to confirm - I know the difference between the connection profile speed and the actual download speed achieved. I was just saying it happened to be connected with a profile of 6.3Mb at the time of my speed test.

Re: streetlights, I was getting the best speed at night, when it is most probably due to contention and usage being low!

Finally i wouldnt touch Eircom with a barge pole, they throttled me within a week of getting it and i dumped them immediately... next generation my rear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

hI HAVE Eircom NGB 8 mb.

1148068763.png

see. all those 8's :mad:

WTF

argosy2006 wrote: »
    hI HAVE Eircom NGB 8 mb.

1148068763.png

see. all those 8's :mad:

WTF

this is suppose to be 8mb,,? why am i paying for 8 mb and getting 0.88 of a MB?

this is suppose to be 8mb,,? why am i paying for 8 mb and getting 0.88 of a MB?

Have you brought this to eircom's attention? what is their response?

darter wrote: »
    Have you brought this to eircom's attention? what is their response?

Nope havent brought it to there attention,

Nope havent brought it to there attention,

I doubt that eircom read this board (:rolleyes:), so complaining here is not very effective. Yes, steam is released, but you want action.

Some time ago (2008) when I was getting poor UTV speeds below what I was paying for, I complained to UTV, and did get some information from them that explained the problem. Of course, UTV was blaming eircom...

I'm now on UTV's Clicksilver and should get max of 3 Mb/s, and generally get over 2 Mb/s. So I'm reasonably happy.

Damo9090 wrote: »
    This thread is for the Greystones area. There is a general BB forum under the Tech heading.

@ Astro.
    If you can get UPC, i would dump DSL.
    The speed and price of UPC is unreal compared to any DSL providers and as mentioned above this NGB is a gimmick.
    Read some of the reviews on the BB forum and you will see what i mean. For Roughly the same price as 8Mb (actual for this area 3Mb) NGB with a 30GB cap you can get 20Mb (actual for this area 20Mb) on UPC with a 250GB cap.

Hope that makes sense.

It does. thank you very much...but I can only get digital TV via UPC and not even with the best of signals..however, I should push along to the BB thread then to get 'up to speed' which is the only speed I will ever accomplish with BB living just 20 miles outside Dublin into Meath...sad to say.:)

So it's March - Eircom are due to have the NGB stuff done by the end of the month. Considering the current speeds I'm getting I think I would prefer if they didn't do anything.

Here's two different speed tests today:

1187383018.png
    1187387940.png

The odd thing is that the router is only connected at 7616kps!!!

• Advertisement

Did you try other tests astro?

speedtest.net can be a little wide of the mark.

I got a speed test of 104Mb/s on a 30Mb connection.
    That speed is impossible with my router.

Advertisement