Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom's Next Generation Broadband (NGB), is it here yet?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Thanks for the suggestion Damo. Here's Magnet's results:

Download Speed: 4434 kbps (554.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 560 kbps (70 KB/sec transfer rate)

Download Speed: 5539 kbps (692.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 534 kbps (66.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

The download speed ran constantly on Magnet where while watching the Speedtest.net test it spiked getting the high reading. You are right - they are wide of the mark!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

See sig for UPC....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

UPC on a bad day over wireless network.

30CE088CF5E447EDB921690E9411FE27-0000333782-0002206543-01200L-B0325281318747CFB04BC7783D0F0F4D.png

maybe try using low-res images, it should work faster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

astrofluff wrote: »
    Apparently... the coverage map on NGB website shows a good portion of north east Wicklow lined up for 8Mb broadband upgrade between Dec and March. It doesn't say which year :rolleyes:

Anyone know any more on this ? I did a speedtest last night and still not on the 8mb NGB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

eigrod wrote: »
    Anyone know any more on this ? I did a speedtest last night and still not on the 8mb NGB.

I Phoned them last week was told it would be the end of the year before we get it, did'nt say what year:mad::mad:

bido wrote: »
    I Phoned them last week was told it would be the end of the year before we get it, did'nt say what year:mad::mad:

So the map they have on their website is complete and utter bs ?

Thanks for the info anyway bido.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭toitle

Map seems to indicate that we're due to be activated this month?
    Things like this are part of the reason I'm planning on emmigrating :(

I raised the NGB for Greystones delay with the Eircom guy over on this thread .

He has just PM'd me as follows :
    Hi eigrod
    Yes can confirm that there is a slight delay due to new cabling to facilitate NGB and have been advised new enable date is May.. If you post me here by end of April I should be able to give you a closer eta.
    Apologies for delay but this work will take a few weeks.
    Tony

I contacted Tony from Eircom via boards.ie again over the past couple of days and just received the following (disappointing) response.

The map on the www.ngb.ie website is still not updated to reflect this though, which could be construed as false advertising really.
    Hi eigrod
    I am afraid that latest date has this upgrade going through in July / Sept. The delay appears to be due to problems with upgrades to other exchanges. This has cause a knock on affect as techs have had to take longer to resolve this issue. I have been advised that the new dates provided have taken possible delays into account.
    Apologies for the delay in up-grading your local exchange it is in hand.
    Tony

• Advertisement

Up and running for me now. Got an email today, and sure enough, carried out a speedtest and have been upgraded.

what speed you get?

what speed you get?

Up around 6.9mb I think. I'll double check the exact figure tonight.

move to upc lol :P

eigrod wrote: »
    Up and running for me now. Got an email today, and sure enough, carried out a speedtest and have been upgraded.

Interesting, did you check what your router is connected at on the router config menus? Mines still on 7.6Mb (non-eircom provider). Just wondering if you have to be with eircom to get the 8Mb 'contention free' (I use that loosely) broadband.

Interesting, did you check what your router is connected at on the router config menus? Mines still on 7.6Mb (non-eircom provider). Just wondering if you have to be with eircom to get the 8Mb 'contention free' (I use that loosely) broadband.

I'll post the speedtest result tonight. Forgot to do it last night.

You should check out this forum on here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1293

Lots of questions answered there and the Eircom guys that man that forum are quite good, to be fair to them. If your question isn't there already, just open a new topic.

1448623608.png

Speed: 7648 kbps /512 kbps

For about the last two weeks the service being provided to me has dropped significantly. - Even though the exchange is now upgraded to 12Mb (I was connecting at 10Mb downstream as seen from my routers page) I am only getting down speed of less than 0.5Mb or even not service at all even though the internet lights are active on the router.

I have been onto my provider (UTV) to highlight this problem but they are none the wiser and lowered my profile to 8.1Mb to see if this will sort the issue but to no avail.

I have completed plenty of internet searches and I found many posts of a similar nature on the Vodafone forums. Now, I also posted this query over of Tech>Broadband one of the boardsies says that UTV might be line sharing with Vodafone and this may just be a problem with both their services off the Greystones Exchange.

So, has anyone here who has a DSL (Eircom, Vodafone, UTV or otherwise) experienced significantly bad broadband in the last couple of weeks? Please let me know - it could be related to the exchange upgrade so I'm trying to figure out where or which provider the problems are occuring with. Needle in a hay stack I know but any info will help! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mirrorball

So, has anyone here who has a DSL (Eircom, Vodafone, UTV or otherwise) experienced significantly bad broadband in the last couple of weeks? Please let me know - it could be related to the exchange upgrade so I'm trying to figure out where or which provider the problems are occuring with. Needle in a hay stack I know but any info will help! Thanks!

Me! I'm on UTV as well, the 8Mb NGB package. Last 2/3 weeks have been ranging between 0.5 and 0.9Mb/s download speed. I have logged the prob with UTV but no joy so far.

Thanks Mirrorball - keep in touch via posts and PMs.

• Advertisement

Jump bumping this thread - I'm looking for anyone who has UTV internet or Vodafone broadband in Greystones who has been experiencing slow or inconsistent broadband connections. I am trying to whittle it down to an exchange problem on the BT lines.

astro, i know i said it before but personally i think you should shift to UPC.

a are notoriously bad as well as UTV, they're all piggybacked on Eircom's copper which again isn't great in greystones.

The cables are grand - getting really good test recults for my line (so the support person says in UTV).

At present UPC don't offer the unlimited calls that I require - I've done the Maths! I know voice is seperate to broadband but it still works out ok once you bundle. How much comission are you on for finding business for UPC? :p

There is some anomaly here and support cannot put their finger on it. Hopefully between myself and Mirrorball we'll get the answer - at the moment to me its looking like an issue with the exchange as this was upgraded in mid Nov and is the only common factor. But of course they're not going to tell me that...

what type of anomaly?

UPC offer Free off-peak and weekend calls to local, national and selected international fixed lines including TV and 25Mb broadband for like €65 a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mirrorball

As per PM Astro, my service is back on form today. I got a new ADSL2 modem and UTV changed a profile on my account from 1Mbps to 8Mbps. The support guy didn't seem sure why I was on a 1Mbps profile but thought it may have been due to my old ADSL modem.

1698655442.png

Thanks for the update Mirrorball. Good to hear you're sorted!

Earlier they had me disconnect the phone for half a day to see if the DECT phone was causing the problem (because the phone is powered). They'll try anything! But thats why such things need to be weeded out.

So it now looks to be line specific. I'm going to look into the eircom master socket to see how things are connected. I'll re-patch the cables (two whole cables) and see how it goes from there. Hopefully I can prove it was an eircom issue afterall!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Am using UTV up in The Burnaby and getting very decent speeds:

1700799502.png

thanks for your input darter - defo looks like it's just me then. I've re-patched the cable so we'll see how the next day or two goes.

1705015750.png
    Hopefully that sorts it out - I re-patched the eircom master socket and they changed the broadband from 'fast past' to 'interleave'. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement