Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where is the best place to look for a job in perth

Options
  • 17-08-2010 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all
    im leaving for Perth in 3 weeks and im wondering where to start looking for a good job with a decent employer that might lead to sponsorship down the road.
    Im going alone and my wife and children will follow as soon as i can get sponsored so you can understand i dont want to waste any time.
    all advice and views would be appreciated.
    Oh and im a plasterer for 12 years also is the work available as good as everyone says it is or is it a case of "far away hills look green"
    thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Couldn't comment on work for Plasterer's but the whole sponsorship malarky seems to be a hell of a lot more difficult than it was a few years ago, all I can say is good luck mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

bellachief wrote: »
    Hi all
    im leaving for Perth in 3 weeks and im wondering where to start looking for a good job with a decent employer that might lead to sponsorship down the road.
    Im going alone and my wife and children will follow as soon as i can get sponsored so you can understand i dont want to waste any time.
    all advice and views would be appreciated.
    Oh and im a plasterer for 12 years also is the work available as good as everyone says it is or is it a case of "far away hills look green"
    thanks a lot

im workin in Perth as a concreter and im going to be honest with you.There is lots of jobs advertised for plasterers but im not sure what the rates are like.The best place to find a job is the Western Australia paper,the two best days to look are Wednesday and Saturday,you are best to get up and start ringing them anytime after 6am,dont ring before 6 or after 7am,or else the job will be gone.

Work is good in Perth as the moment but there is a huge influx of workers from abroad and the Eastern states but someone with as much experience as you should have no problem.

Im not to sure how easy it will be to get sponsored.What some employers here are doing at the moment is once they sponsor you they will pay you minimum wage because they know its a condition of sponsorship that you stay with the company for 3/4 years.

I hope i havent rained on your parade,i just want to let you know some of the pros and cons.Of course this isnt always the case.Loads of guys get sponsored with great companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Copper89

Hi everyone,

Me n my boyfriend are movin to perth on the 10th of march. when we arrive in perth airport we dont know where to go from there..:)

Just wondering can anyone help with where id the best place and wheres the most work at the moment. were both irish and ive a degree in hotel managment so looking for hotel work and my boyfriend is a qualified carpenter.

also how much cash in your pocket would you want going over to keep you going til you've a bank account set up to transfer money into

and one last thing whats it like there in relaation to crime thieves etc

Hope some one can help

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

when we arrive in perth airport we dont know where to go from there

Can I ask why you've decided to move to the most isolated capital city in the world without knowing a single thing about it? Had you done any investigation prior to booking?

If you search through threads/posts in the forum you'll find that I've answered most of your questions previously so it'll be a starting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Im thinking the adventure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Do people not buy Lonely Planets when they're going to foreign destinations any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Vorsprung wrote: »
    Do people not buy Lonely Planets when they're going to foreign destinations any more?

No. Since the reccession in Ireland has gotten worse 'backpackers' have all but disappeared. Everyone who comes over now just wants to get straight into work and talk about how to get sponsored!

OP what visa are you coming over on? You can't get a working holiday visa if you've got a wife and kids. If you are looking for sponsorship then I'm am presuming you are coming on a holiday visa which does not allow you to work. you will find it very hard to get a job without a tax file number or abn. Very few companies will be willing to sponsor you without you having worked for them unless you can prove to them that you've got something that other plasterers here don't.

Advertisement