Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pet hates?

• 17-08-2010 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

Just another completely subjective thread about nothing important -

What are your pet-hates when it comes to photography/image processing?

For me it's that selective colour thing - where you only show something red.

(I'm not saying it's bad photography or whatever - I just don't like it myself, I know others don't like landscape stuff or gig stuff or car stuff (ahem) but you know what I mean...)

What sinks your boat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Vignette, HDR & fake film borders. Although I have been guilty of using vignette when I first started but not a fan of it now

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Promac wrote: »
    What are your pet-hates when it comes to photography/image processing?

Pet Hates - I hate photos of peoples pets - even my own - especially if they've been HDR'd, vignetted and have a fake film border...:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

more of a proper hate than a pet hate. dirty sensors. Don't care what you say, they're impossible to keep immaculate if you have several lenses.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

More of an on-line drag than a real life one but it's photos of places taken and displayed just to show that they've been somewhere fancy then mascerading it as photogrpahy. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Oooh I really dislike the selective colour thing too. I don't think I've ever seen a photo processed in that way which I've liked.

HDR is right up there on the list too. It can be nice when selectively applied but most people just seem to max out the sliders.

A really bad sepia effect. Maybe it was cool years ago but now it just looks cheesy.

Gear wars/rage. Really I don't know why people put down the gear that other people use. If the camera/gear does what you need it to do then it's the best thing in the world and no-one can tell you otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

i hate people going on about the photos they take with their iphone:eek: (possibly because i dont own one.)

im a bit meh about nature photography (dont mind flowers tho), and i wouldnt really look at cars or sports.

also a bit bored of the baby portraits and kids with the high contrasty/really white background .

lol, nothing interests me tonight im sick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

My pet hates are when people get overly excited about how cool selective colouring is or how someone is such an amazing photog when clearly the pic looks like its straight out of the 80s and the amazing photog sports a gallery full of family pictures with messy backgrounds!!!! Im sorry but a bunch of good pics of your own kids in the back garden or at a party are not portfolios!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Volume. I often get overwhelmed with images to process since my day jobs take up so much time. It mounts up too fast to cope with sometimes, and frustrates the hell out of me. I've got over a thousand to get done by Friday, which probably won't happen without working straight through at least one night and heading back to the day job (something which is becoming alarmingly more frequent).

People doing "duck-face"/gangsta poses as soon as a camera is pointed at them. Conversely, people complaining I was taking a photo of them when they stray into the shot.

The shot that almost was perfect.

The face I make when looking through the viewfinder. A friend showed me a picture of it that she caught the other day. Not at all pleasant...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

People that mention what film camera they've used.
    Selective colouring.
    Topaz effect (which I went thru a terrible phase of using and I cringe at my old photos now)
    Most HDR
    Most tourist photography but not all, then again if I get my dream holiday next year I'll probably end up doing the same. :(
    Sport photos over cropped.
    and finally yes I-Phone people boasters. :p

I also hate this thread, I never knew I had so much hatred bottled up in me towards Photography practices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

HDR and over-use of textures, just not my thing.
    (Modern) architectural shots, I've had it with windows reflecting sky, slanty angles on granite pavement complete with handrail. (looking at hundreds of pics to try and learn, simply can't look at another modern glassy building).

Duckface, definitely.

Hate the modern trend of (outdoor mostly) band/model photography, whereby people are lit left right and center (and back ?), quite literally. Have absolutely zero knowledge of flash, strobes, whatever you call them, but I think they're not being used very successfully most of the time. Make photo/people look totally un-natural, ghostly, just makes me uncomfortable looking at them.:mad:
    Give me natural light and reasonable shadowy parts anyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Digital

Moore's law

Other peoples' pet hates.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Not being able to find a way to do selective colour shots on my iPhone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

I hate pets too.

Wait. What do you mean that's not what you meant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

pet hate >>> reading through threads like these and realising that so many things i do are the pet hates of others and therefore not feeling worthy... :o

oh oh ... and gear snobbery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

CabanSail wrote: »
    Not being able to find a way to do selective colour shots on my iPhone

iPhone >> App Store >> Search >> ColourSplash >> Install.

Let the mass annoyance begin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

People who rag on about anyone who shoots film as being 'elitist'. Never understood that myself. I exclusively shoot film because I was doing it before digital came along, I like the results I get with it, I like the process, I like the organicness of it, and I don't really see the need to spend a couple of thousand euros on digital gear just to duplicate what I'm doing already.
    With other peoples stuff it's all about the end product, don't really give a crap whether it's shot on film or digital, although I'm not a big fan of over processed shots in either medium.

Oh, and also people who make long tedious justifications as to why they still shoot film. Losers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

When I'm queuing at the ATM and the person using the machine in front of me is programming binary code to launch a nuclear missile attack on Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Nice! Some crackers in there :D

I was just thinking that instead of a photo appreciation thread we should have a thread where you're only allowed to point out what you don't like in the image you comment on. It'd be a great way to learn what people don't like to see in photos. I think people try to find something encouraging to say about a picture to make the poster feel good about what they're doing but you often learn more from someone who doesn't like you.

we should have a thread where you're only allowed to point out what you don't like in the image you comment on

:eek: Did you read TCOs last critique thread?

Promac wrote: »
    I was just thinking that instead of a photo appreciation thread we should have a thread where you're only allowed to point out what you don't like in the image you comment on. It'd be a great way to learn what people don't like to see in photos. I think people try to find something encouraging to say about a picture to make the poster feel good about what they're doing but you often learn more from someone who doesn't like you.

Ah, a photographic UNappreciation thread. I like it :-) Though it strikes me that some people might ... over-react ... at receiving negative comment, even in a thread that's specifically tailored toward negative comment :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

pet hate - paradox of choice.
    which camera will i take with me? then which lens? then what white balance? etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Constructive criticism...

Nah - you're probably right!

When the pros get in my way outside the court

Pros that don't pay their taxes

Amateurs that do jobs for free

Self-Portraits :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Hate the modern trend of (outdoor mostly) band/model photography, whereby people are lit left right and center (and back ?), quite literally. Have absolutely zero knowledge of flash, strobes, whatever you call them, but I think they're not being used very successfully most of the time. Make photo/people look totally un-natural, ghostly, just makes me uncomfortable looking at them.:mad:
    Give me natural light and reasonable shadowy parts anyday.

Ugh. Strobism. +1

Seriously, there's so many sh*te photographs coming from it. Results 99% of the time are absolutely horrible.

Which also leads me on to something else you touched on. 'Model photography'... So many awful awful photographs coming from this. It's pretty funny when it's labeled 'fashion photography' - it's anything but!! Bad tan, dirty strobes, horrible light ratios, terrible poses, and dirty men getting their jollies. Yeah, real fashionable. Bend over a bit further there, love. :rolleyes:

Do a good job of it or keep your wankbank to yourself.

People that mention what film camera they've used.

But yet you want everyone to post their EXIF data? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ellieswellies

Most of my pet hates are things I've already been guilty of in the past...fake borders, vignette, really over-edited pictures, the works...I guess they're pet hates cos I look back and cringe!:pac: But I suppose you've gotta learn somewhere ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Which also leads me on to something else you touched on. 'Model photography'... So many awful awful photographs coming from this. It's pretty funny when it's labeled 'fashion photography' - it's anything but!! Bad tan, dirty strobes, horrible light ratios, terrible poses, and dirty men getting their jollies. Yeah, real fashionable. Bend over a bit further there, love. :rolleyes:
    very practical-photography-cover-shot-ca.-1989.

/shudder

or keep your wankbank to yourself.

Damn... and after all this time I never thought anyone had kopped it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Ugh. Strobism. :pac:

Wish I had known or thought of that word, would have sounded less of an ignoramus :o

• Advertisement

I'd count yerself lucky :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

(Modern) architectural shots, I've had it with windows reflecting sky, slanty angles on granite pavement complete with handrail. (looking at hundreds of pics to try and learn, simply can't look at another modern glassy building).

God yes! I agree with you 100%! Magicbastader must die!
    He prob wants to murder me for my Swan pics though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

People who shoot cars whilst tilting the camera. Also known as 'Oneleglongerthantheother syndrome'

Magicbastader must die!
    if you strike me down, i would become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

Will someone other than me start a "Show us your self portraits" thread?

do i take more geometricy architecture shots than most?

• Advertisement

People with legs the same length... grr... lucky fcukers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

Shakey hands.
    And Glasses. Feckin glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Out of focus shots.

Seriously, why post them or show them off? THEY ARE OUT OF FOCUS!

Grrr...

Out of focus shots.

Seriously, why post them or show them off? THEY ARE OUT OF FOCUS!

Grrr...
    You're dead right... I mean look at the state of this one -

161928186_f8f4fd9c54.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

Internet warriors.
    Max shutter speed of 1/1000 on old film cameras. :(

• Advertisement

(cue 'my film camera only goes to 1/500th! responses)

My film camera only goes to 1/500th sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

Okay well my Olympus Trip 35 only goes to 1/200th sec :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Watermarks on BADDDDDDDDDDDD photos! Seriously!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Photographs of food with freaking napkins folded and under the plate....in almost every shot...all the rage this weather. WTF a napkin goes beside your plate or on your person, use a bleedin place mat ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

People who are obsessed with film. Also photos which need to say that it's out of the camera without any processing.

People who give out about processing.

Shots of the most banal things.

My Sinar shutter (mounted onto this monstrosity) only goes to 1/60 :cool:

jpb1974 wrote: »

Self-Portraits :D

Do NOT visit lookbook.nu unless you really want to be annoyed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Over done HDR and film snobs :)

Do NOT visit lookbook.nu unless you really want to be annoyed!

Eh? I just had a brief look on their home page and it was mostly pretty fit looking women. I'm a convert.

• Advertisement
Advertisement