Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pet hates?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Insecure Digital Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Insecure Digital Users

Are there any actual film snobs? There are plenty of people who like film, but I've never seen anyone deride a photograph for being digital.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

pictures of swans, awful ugly fellas, i despise seeing photos of them

Are there any actual film snobs?

They're everywhere... they're called the FES... I'll say no more, we're being watched.
    There are plenty of people who like film, but I've never seen anyone deride a photograph for being digital.

I know... it makes you wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I don't think iv'e seen it on here but people who use color film and then decide to make it black and white cause it looks better.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Pet hates:
    • Photographs that look like they've had an aggressive inverted s-curve applied either through aggressive tone-mapping, poor choices in a photo editing application *coughlightroomfilllightslidercough*, or some other such means. Mostly because I think it looks like bad processing and then it freaks me out on some really dull days when the dynamic range of the world around me appears to have been compressed.
    • Applying a border to every image, faux-film or otherwise.
    • The word "nifty" as it applies to certain focal length.
    • "Lense".
    • Selective colour/selective desaturation. Although that might just be because I have yet to see it used to good effect.
    • People sharing photographs that look like they mean nothing to anyone, including the photographer. It seems like a lot of people share images for the sake of showing that they, too, can use a technique and apply it without creativity or consideration.
    • The generically-applied "intentional tilt".
    dazftw wrote: »
    Watermarks on BADDDDDDDDDDDD photos! Seriously!

Anecdotally, I've found the images with the most obnoxious watermarks are usually far worse than images with less intrusive ones.
    They're everywhere... they're called the FES... I'll say no more, we're being watched.

Sssh! You're only supposed to talk about this stuff on the secret sub-forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

charybdis wrote: »
    Sssh! You're only supposed to talk about this stuff on the secret sub-forum!

What :eek: There's a secret sub-forum ??!?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

dazftw wrote: »
    I don't think iv'e seen it on here but people who use color film and then decide to make it black and white cause it looks better.
    how can you tell when they've done it?

how can you tell when they've done it?

I have a few friends who have done it.. They don't buy black and white film cause its hassle to get developed.

• Advertisement

This might be a handy thing to do for some photographers but I was in Barcelona recently on a bus tour! I didn't really wanna take pictures on the bus cause it would have been too hard, moving bus and all.

A guy in front of me with a D700 and a huge lens seriously took more pictures in 40 minutes on that bus than I did in a week.

Are you that bad you need to use burst to get a shot..

I have a feeling a lot of people will disagree with this :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

In fairness, some people are after different things from their photographs, some want that artistic masterpiece, some just want a record of where they were last week.

If holding down the shutter button for an hours tour around a lovely city acquires that, leave'em to it :)

Fajitas! wrote: »
    In fairness, some people are after different things from their photographs, some want that artistic masterpiece, some just want a record of where they were last week.

If holding down the shutter button for an hours tour around a lovely city acquires that, leave'em to it :)

Yeah! I couldn't think of a way of explaining it earlier! I was thinking people had different styles of shooting but I thought that just sounded weird!

I guess it was just the fact he was on a bus, using one hand, craning his head and firing like a machine gun.. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he should have just bought a video camera and grabbed screenshots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

lense annoys the hell out of me too.
    selective colour is definitely a pet hate and photo after photo of flowers on a flickr account.
    I don't like over-sharpening.

don't think much else annoys me really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Lense drives me mad too, although we haven't that much of it lately (I wonder how many people are reading this and wondering what the problem is :D)

Not a fan of selective colour either, but an upcoming bride has specifically requested it so we'll see what happens...:rolleyes:

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head, although I'm sure there is a few things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Person A-"Where's that Orig. 'tog? Can I see exif? What time of day? PP info?"

Orig 'tog- "-insert place name-. Blah, blah iso blah. 6p.m. PP blah, curves blah".

Person A- "Great thanks, now can't wait to get one myself".

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

daycent wrote: »
    Lense

Not a fan of selective colour either, but an upcoming bride has specifically requested it so we'll see what happens...:rolleyes:

selling your photographic soul :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

The word Lense drives me nuts too.

People using the built in flash in the wrong situations for landscape/ cityscape type shots makes me giggle a little and the bigger the camera the better. Saw a guy in Dublin doing it last weekend with a 50D I think, the weather was really sunny, he had L glass too.

How hard is it to read a few pages of a manual after investing in an SLR.

HDRs make e cringe, (but I did make a few myself when I found out about them first I have to admit)

Quite a few of the photos I see in 'interestingness' on Flickr are a pet hate too,

insert, flower, bokeh, pretty girl, hdr, mini teddybear drinking a starbucks etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Tone mapping and overdone HDR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

not keen on selective colour

anal photogs who seem to worry about techy details all the time

people who moan about how much or how something has been process

photographers that spend a fortune on gear then wouldnt spend christmas on making decent prints!!! i mean speanding 1k on a lens and then buying a not great print for 30cent from some online factory.

oooopppps rant over

• Advertisement

selling your photographic soul :p

Everyone has a price :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

Eh? I just had a brief look on their home page and it was mostly pretty fit looking women. I'm a convert.

Agreed.

Wife: What's that you're looking at?

Me: Oh nothing, just a photography site...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

God yes! I agree with you 100%! Magicbastader must die!
    He prob wants to murder me for my Swan pics though. :D

Ooops...:o
    Didn't mean to target anyone in particular, AnimalRights :)

I think we could probably battle it out some day online.
    BANG ! (shiny building)
    BANG BANG ! (swan, 2 swans)
    KABANG ! (flower, butterfly)
    RE-BANG BANG *!! (Becketts Bridge, granite steps)
    BOOM * ! (butterfly on flower mwahhahhahhah ;))

See who begs for mercy first.

*insert better onomatopoeia

*insert better onomatopoeia

Huh?

Watching people doing Street photography with a zoom lense (:pac:) gets my goat up.

humberklog wrote: »
    Huh?

Onomatopoeia

daycent wrote: »

Y'mighta missed the subtlety of my weak attempt at homour. Meow.

gets my goat up.

Huh ? ;)

Am French Humberklog, and not very good at translating sound things, sorry if not always clear, must come across a bit stoopid sometimes online :(

Y'mighta missed the subtlety of my weak attempt at homour. Meow.

Yeah right :pac:

Huh ? ;)

Am French Humberklog, and not very good at translating sound things, sorry if not always clear, must come across a bit stoopid sometimes online :(

Mountain it was a joke on onomata...Like when someone says "are ye deaf" and sure enough the response will be "wha' ". You don't come across stupid it's just that sometimes my jokes don't come across at all:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

Lense
    72 DPI
    SOOC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not having a tripod.

Cameraman wrote: »
    72 DPI

This, and all its corollaries of misunderstanding .

Addendum:
    • The idea that perspective depends upon anything other than subject distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

'I have a Canonikony x123 that came with an 18-55mm lense and I want to get a zoom lense for it.........'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Oh, and I've been nodding and going 'uh huh' so much reading this thread that I've realised I pretty much hate everything.

I'm off to the Coffee and Tea forum to start a rant about nescafe so called 'gold' blend... :pac:

When I'm in Dublin and cyclists ring their bell at you whilst you're walking on the footpath and they want to pass you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Aha. Pet hates. Just my favourite cup of coffee (Non-Nescafe-Gold that is).
    • People that get horny over their gear.
    • People that look at me funny when I explain why I want to buy a particular camera. (The answer always is: It looks pretty).
    • Insects and kids. With the exeption of Oshead who makes both of them slightly more interesting.
    • Most HDR's
    • Titles of pictures quoting a place/country - when the image is a yellow wall with flowers.
    • When people ask me "How did you do that" - because my answer will be "Uh - I dunno. I, uh, pressed a button, like".
    • High Key stuff
    • Fashion photography that is actually Page 3 material.
    • Seeing the painfull evolution in above photographers, starting with skanky models fully clothed to barely anything a few months later.
    • People who buy the old vintage camera's I want to buy but don't have the money for and don't even offer to lend it to me for a while.
    • People who can't take critique.
    *gasps for air*

There, all better.

I'm changing my mind on 'self-portraits'.

It's now self-portraits with narratives along the lines of:

I was bored last night so...

I got a new flash so...

I got a new d-lite kit so...

I got a new backdrop so...

My missus was about to throw out a white sheet so...

I picked up these lovely muslin backdrops at the local charity shop so...

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thin White Duck

Have we done dodgy white balance?

Without wanting to sound like a washing powder advert, I like me whites white.

Tripods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Vignette, HDR
    HDR is right up there on the list too
    Most HDR
    HDR and over-use of textures
    vignette, really over-edited pictures
    Over done HDR
    aggressive tone-mapping
    HDRs make e cringe
    Tone mapping and overdone HDR.
    Most HDR's

Sniffs.... I know when I'm not wanted.

Sniffles and looks back with a sad look on his face.

SuperStock_1439R-1072893.jpg?t=1282231415

But I'm cured..... I swear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

That's a wee suitcase full of textures, right? And a HDR teddy bear?
    dakar wrote: »
    I'm off to the Coffee and Tea forum to start a rant about nescafe so called 'gold' blend... :pac:
    Try wrong grinds and stale, burnt beans.

/bean snob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

But I'm cured..... I swear.

*Telepatically hugs Barry*
    itsowlgood.gif

sNarah wrote: »
    *Telepatically hugs Barry*
    itsowlgood.gif

heh ! it says "It's 'OWL' good" ! And there's a picture of some owls !

but owls can't be kept as pets. so they can't be a pet hate.

but owls can't be kept as pets. so they can't be a pet hate.

Actually, that reminds me.

Owls.

• Advertisement

Those family portraits with them lying down on the floor with no shoes or socks! Especially with their legs up behind them.. cringe :o

Nice bit of selective coloring also.

wagner-128-Edit-701983.jpg

Is it that hard to be somewhat creative and original and do something good like this?

2010-04-12-FamilyBluebonnets-039.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

"That's a great shot. You must have a really good camera".

The "uncle with a professional camera" types that come up to you at weddings etc. and try to show you up with their wealth of photographic knowledge, which is almost always complete bollocks.

http://images.worldgallery.co.uk/i/prints/lg/1/3/13467.jpg
    *sob*
    sorry:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

All that 'nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I'm going into the garden to eat worms' self pity self portrait stuff...

I'm just jealous because no-one wants to ear the rantings of a bloke in his late 30's! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement