Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pet hates?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Funny, I keep looking back over my post and don't see where you're mentioned :confused:

paranoid much? :P

I know cliques when I see them though, but I didn't suggest I meant on here. There's a whole world outside boards photography y'know?

I'm not rude, or offensive. I take offense to you trying to make out I am, as you know nothing about me in "reality". The rest, maybe a little. But hey, it's teh internets. If you think people are exactly as they come across in a few posts online, you may let go of the late 90's.

You seem to think that people often misinterpret what you're saying. Have you considered changing how you express yourself to a way that more effectively communicates your ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Problem is, they do. You just seemed to think that I seem to think I do for instance. It's just an impression you get, doesn't make it so. I think I have mellowed out a lot lately, but the usuals keep poking at me waiting for me to erupt or something :D

If I was anywhere as obnoxious as DQ would love to imagine, i'd not be here. I'd not have apologised to himself one of the times I was ousted! And he'd not have accepted it. I think once you cross certain people they never get over it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you do seem to get very defensive about your purchases. your camera is FINE.

you do seem to get very defensive about your purchases. your camera is FINE.

What? :confused: I'm not in the slightest defensive about my purchases! Just stating facts about it [in another thread] No point someone saying it's not as good as it actually is without backing it up. I really am not a gear-head, a good camera is about all i need. I don't fall in love with equipment like :D I'll more than likely have a different one this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I think I have mellowed out a lot lately,

You know, I think you have actually. It's like a pavlovian response, you get a little more housetrained every time you pick up another ban.

• Advertisement

Problem is, they do.

Well, you've often claimed there's a disparity between what you've said and how people have interpreted it. Why do you think this is?
    You just seemed to think that I seem to think I do for instance.

I did. You keep defending what you've said on the grounds that it isn't as abrasive as people find it to be.
    It's just an impression you get, doesn't make it so.

When interacting with others, their perception of your actions is of prime importance to effective communication. If you are trying to communicate with them in a way you know is going to be misinterpreted then you are effectively saying what your statement is going to be misinterpreted as. It's effectively the same thing.

You know, I think you have actually. It's like a pavlovian response, you get a little more housetrained every time you pick up another ban.

Nah, I just get tired over-explaining myself to people who'll just never get it/me ;)

Now it's a quick 'here's my opinion, hate it if you must', and leave the begrudgers to it :D

charybdis wrote: »

I did. You keep defending what you've said on the grounds that it isn't as abrasive as people find it to be.

I wasn't defending anything. I state my case, that's all. I obviously am the only one knows what I mean or meant by anything I said, if it needs clarification, so be it. What DQ said above is his opinion based on a few virtual scuffles on here - that's weak basis to go on. It's no way to judge a person at all IMO. I don't doubt you're probably nice lads outside of here, I only judge your posts. No idea what you're like in person, nor would I pretend to.

I mean, I'm not exactly a txt spk chav who jst cmes in to abuuuuse :D There's thought in my posts, whether heated or not ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

mmmmm pavlovian nmom nmom nmom.

humberklog wrote: »
    mmmmm pavlovian nmom nmom nmom.

Was wondering when you'd pipe in :D No insult or nit-pickery? I am in shock :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Was wondering when you'd pipe in :D No insult or nit-pickery? I am in shock :P

Wasted I'm afraid- do you not remember he put you on ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM ;)

Thks all for taking my mind off my problems tonight, I know it's pet hates but I love a good argument ('specially when I'm not involved :p).

I've thought of another pet hate : I hate that new look thing I've seen online, whereby people ruin their own shots by adding a little medallion or frame with the technical details of the pic, can't remember for the life of me what sites I saw had that, but they were all modernish real professional looking sites. I love reading the exif, but I prefer to have to click somewhere for it in my own time.

Wasted I'm afraid- do you not remember he put you on ignore.

I don't tend to remember things I don't really care about ;) Your job is dragging up the past is it not? :P

That's most of the crew in, think there's only 2 missing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Having only a certain amount of money and not being able to decide what accessory/lens to buy next

Having no money and wanting every lens I see! :D

If you don't mind, I'd be interested in hearing who is part of this conspiracy/clique/crew, you seem to have a very clear idea of who the participants are. Would you be so kind as to enlighten us?

I seem to have a good idea who the crew I personally believe all cling together are? I sure do. But that's classified ;)

What conspiracy?

I seem to have a good idea who the crew I personally believe all cling together are? I sure do. But that's classified ;)

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I think my biggest pet hate is on internet forums....when someone is making almost every 2nd or 3rd post.....on the other hand, people like that are pretty entertaining......

Are we down to 1 yet.....I thought I'd venture out of the photo challenge threads for a change, it gets boring "sabotaging" things in there...I'll try my luck in here.

Man, I wanna be part of a crew....

Just a hunch.

Just like some think I'm a big C-word - I could be wrong too. But I am allowed think it, no? I didn't think it was a share-all your thoughts forum! :confused::D

• Advertisement

Just a hunch.

Just like some think I'm a big C-word - I could be wrong too. But I am allowed think it, no? I didn't think it was a share-all your thoughts forum! :confused::D

It just seems like you have a very clearly defined idea of who the members of this clique are, down to a number of participants. I find this idea interested and had hoped you'd share specifics given that you're happy enough to hint at what you know without prompting. Why would a hunch make you reluctant to post a simple piece of information that you're happy enough to hint at otherwise?

Luckilly I've been shooting for almost 30 years now

If I was doing something for that long, I'd at least expect to be half decent at it :D

....oh yeah....people who put smiley faces after they say negative things :D

pete4130 wrote: »
    I think my biggest pet hate is on internet forums....when someone is making almost every 2nd or 3rd post.....on the other hand, people like that are pretty entertaining......

Oh sh!t.....I'm posting like, every 2nd or 3rd post now....wait, thats entertaining right? :D:D:D

charybdis wrote: »
    It just seems like you have a very clearly defined idea of who the members of this clique are, down to a number of participants. I find this idea interested and had hoped you'd share specifics given that you're happy enough to hint at what you know without prompting. Why would a hunch make you reluctant to post a simple piece of information that you're happy enough to hint at otherwise?

You get in trouble for naming names on here ;)

I do indeed have a clear personal idea who I would say have it in for me, so to speak. Yes. But they'll get over it in time.

Good job you don't claim to be at it that long in that case pete! :P

pete4130 wrote: »

Are we down to 1 yet.....I thought I'd venture out of the photo challenge threads for a change, it gets boring "sabotaging" things in there...I'll try my luck in here.

Man, I wanna be part of a crew....

Nope. You're not Leet enough man, sorry.

You get in trouble for naming names on here ;)

I do indeed have a clear personal idea who I would say have it in for me, so to speak. Yes. But they'll get over it in time.

You can PM me the list if you like. I appreciate that you might not want to state it publicly.

DO you actually care that much? It really is only my personal intuition. Also, you can get in trouble for things you say via pm, as I found out once.

DO you actually care that much? It really is only my personal intuition. Also, you can get in trouble for things you say via pm, as I found out once.

I just think it's interesting that you have such a clear idea of who is in this clique. I won't report what you say in a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭NooSixty

Just a hunch.

Why the reluctance to oust this so called clique!?!? You seem pretty hell bent on implying there is one and they are out to get you....... :confused:

You also seem to be doing a pretty swell job at trying to make this a forum just about sharing all your thoughts....... :confused:

• Advertisement

NooSixty wrote: »
    Why the reluctance to oust this so called clique!?!? You seem pretty hell bent on implying there is one and they are out to get you....... :confused:

You also seem to be doing a pretty swell job at trying to make this a forum just about sharing all your thoughts....... :confused:

Oust? It's pretty much my own business who I think clique-together. Why should it bother you? If my thoughts are not interesting to you, skip over my posts.

Making this forum about my thoughts? How? By simply posting what i think? That's the idea of a forum. Not my fault nobody else is posting tonight is it? Think if you bother to search my posts I'm pretty helpful in general and stay on topic. We're just chit-chatting here maybe ... sorry ...

Absolute morons on internet forums that don't have a clue when to give it up......thats a pretty big gripe of mine too. I can live with it though....it is entertaining and self inflicted *insert smiley face now* :D

Take your own advice Pete ;) You're just not funny :( :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Take your own advice Pete ;) You're just not funny :( :P

Actually I think Pete can be very funny.

Actually I think Pete can be very funny.

And? That's not a Pet Hate, stay on topic for once :D

Pet hate: People who pop randomly into threads to disagree with you for no reason only to disagree as per usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

mod warning
    Back on topic if anyone has a problem with another users post please report it, or bans will ensue. Please stop trying to pick fights with one another as it's really off putting for new users.

Thank you
    Trish

• Advertisement

So, no PM yet. Did you send one?

Nope, will keep my opinions off topic to myself. More should do the same.

Pet Hate: Having too slow a pc to run LR3 + CS5 smoothly side by side.

PC's.....Apple ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

elitism, be it gear snobs, film/digital snobs or just plain snobs. I dislike you all. (I think that makes me an anti-snob snob!?)

Thinking you've got the perfect picture only to find out when processing it that you've inadvertently chopped off part of your friends head.... :mad:

Missing a golden photo op because I didn't bring a camera with me.

sprinkles wrote: »
    Thinking you've got the perfect picture only to find out when processing it that you've inadvertently chopped off part of your friends head.... :mad:

Missing a golden photo op because I didn't bring a camera with me.

Yup, and yup!

Someone jokingly said to me recently "Do you ever go anywhere without that camera bag?" - Thing is, a lot of the time I'm heading out, I know it won't get used - But I just know something great will be happening down the road, or I'll spot something I've been dying to shoot forever, if I leave it behind. I really hate having the bag on my back for hours and going home without one shot. I'll sometimes just take it out and take a few shots of a tree or th sky or ... anything! Just so i can feel like it wasn't a waste :D Sometimes those images end up as keepers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

dust

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Big Heads.....

Edit: Like in wide angle close in portraits. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Maybe I'm just not forum savvy but all these feckin abbreviations and acronyms people use when posting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

My pet hate is not making the photo I think I'm making. But guess that can be a positive in that it drives me strive to do better next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,957 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Over-use of HDR and /or saturation sliders.
    "Lense".
    "RAW" - it's not an ancronym, ffs. It doesn't stand for anything. Lower case will do fine.
    There are many more things that boil my piss, but I'm just a grumpy bastard.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Things I hate:
    artiness & fartiness,
    - like calling inkjet prints 'glycee' - Arrgh
    - or adding film rebates in photoshop to digital pictures - dumb

Stupid bunfights
    - Cakon is better than Ninon ( dpreview forums are deadly for this)

obsolescence
    - the nagging feeling that my 40D is past it & a 7D would cure all my problems, when I know deep down the real issue is about my time & commitment...

- FoxT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

as others said selective colour its time has past let it go.

people who put shots that are obviously snapshots up for C+C. you want me to spend 5-10 minutes of my life discussing a pic that you thought about for 5 seconds.

people who use digital cameras but don't pp them and are smug about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

sheesh wrote: »
    people who put shots that are obviously snapshots up for C+C. you want me to spend 5-10 minutes of my life discussing a pic that you thought about for 5 seconds.

+1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sheesh wrote: »
    depends on what you mean by a snapshot. i've seen some great grab shots being posted here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭ender ender

I don't hate Cartier-Bresson, but the reverence he receives, jeez...

Adams too. Am I the only person who thinks this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement