Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving home

Options
  • 17-08-2010 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,
    I`m in the process of moving home.
    Unfortunately for the last 18 yrs or so I have been looking after a wild cat which is now semi-tame, I had her neutered and she is a beautiful white and grey long haired cat. Does anyone know what I can do with her as everyone says she will just get lost if i try to bring her to my new home which will be 150 miles away?
    i`d really love to get her a new home if at all possible.
    Thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Hi - if you can keep the cat either inside the house with you or contained within a garden area for the first 2 or 3 weeks then she'll adjust ok to the new environment. Its true that cats don't like change, but they are also very clever and very adaptable.

The key is to keep her contained for the first while so that she can orient herself gradually. She'll know to stick with you if she is getting regularly fed by you!

It sounds like you have a good relationship with her & I think it'd be quite hard for her to trust someone else since you say she is only semi-tame. She's probably dependent on you for food now too, so it would be very tough on her if you can't take her with you.

You can get the loan of a cat trap from your local animal rescue centre if you find it difficult to pick her up or catch her.

That said, if you really can't take her - are there any neighbours nearby who would take on the task of feeding her in your absence?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Wow what a great age for your cat. I had a cat for 21 years, to be honest I would give it a chance and take her with me. The neighbours might promise to feed her etc but that may not happen and it would be a shame for her to have reached such a great age and end up a stray again.

My neighbours have moved house several times and each time the two cats move with them without any issues.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yeh i too would definitely be bringing her with me if its at all possible. 18 yrs wow! You HAVE to take her, i couldnt leave her behind :D

As above, once you keep her inside somewhere cosy and well fed for a week or so she'll get used to her new environment. Shes had 18 yrs of you being her slave shes not silly she wont budge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 rover600

Thanks for the replies guys..:)

Advertisement