Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just a quick question

• 17-08-2010 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

hey guys and gals

im moving down in 2 weeks for college. im a mature student so trying to find accom away from students if i can but i know ill end up with the f**kers:D

anyway im just wondering about a few areas if ya can give me some advice.

im meeting landlords tommorow

im looking at
    * De Bruin student accom
    * Aylesbury Manor student accom

im also looking at a place on
    * manor street
    * Thomas street
    * Johns Lane
    * Ballytruckle Road

just wondering if i should be avoiding any of these places for other reasons than students

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

How's it goin? The first two are bread and butter student accommodation, as I'm sure you guessed. There's nothing to note about the accomodation, only that they're centrally located, so a little bit of a trek if you're walking out to the Cork Road campus.

About the others, they're all city centre. Manor Street is a student hotspot, 3 story houses with 5 bedrooms all full with students, more or less. Thomas Street is quiet, and located in an area popular with immigrants from Eastern Europe. John's Lane is a backalley located just off the main nightlife junction, be wary of this one. Ballytruckle Road stretches a bit, so hard to say which part you'll be located on, but mostly these areas are ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

KingLoser wrote: »
    How's it goin? The first two are bread and butter student accommodation, as I'm sure you guessed. There's nothing to note about the accomodation, only that they're centrally located, so a little bit of a trek if you're walking out to the Cork Road campus.

About the others, they're all city centre. Manor Street is a student hotspot, 3 story houses with 5 bedrooms all full with students, more or less. Thomas Street is quiet, and located in an area popular with immigrants from Eastern Europe. John's Lane is a backalley located just off the main nightlife junction, be wary of this one. Ballytruckle Road stretches a bit, so hard to say which part you'll be located on, but mostly these areas are ok.

cheers. ballytruckle im looking at up by poleberry street.

thanks for all the info. i think ill defintly avoid johns lane so. im under no illusions that its going to be a fantasy land where nothing happens:D im just hoping to stay away from the worse areas.

thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Icky Thump wrote: »
    hey guys and gals

im moving down in 2 weeks for college. im a mature student so trying to find accom away from students if i can but i know ill end up with the f**kers:D

anyway im just wondering about a few areas if ya can give me some advice.

im meeting landlords tommorow

im looking at
    * De Bruin student accom
    * Aylesbury Manor student accom

im also looking at a place on
    * manor street
    * Thomas street
    * Johns Lane
    * Ballytruckle Road

just wondering if i should be avoiding any of these places for other reasons than students

thanks in advance

Hi mate
    I used to do the security for the De Bruin and the Aylesbury Manor , The De Bruin is the quieter of the two but still lively and loud at times (Wednesday nights )
    Aylesbury Manor avoid like the pledge , if you really want to avoid all that is wrong with student life . Always some party taken place and the way the place is designed the noise travels . 99% of my call outs to there where from fellow students trying to study , funny as 2 or 3 nights later the call out would be about them :rolleyes:

Oh rag week was nuts down there .

Of the other places , I know the man that owns the Manor Street(worked for him) and while the collage are running the building (may have changed) , He normally runs a good place, But it will be nothing but students Another draw back is its near a local night spot (Harvey's )but think thats more a weekend spot so may not effect you .

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

would it make more sense for the OP to place an advertisement in the munster express accomadation section , looking for a room to rent for however long he is staying in waterford , i couldnt blame him for not wanting to live with younger students, , and im sure the way the world is at the moment, somebody might just be delighted to rent him a room for the next while and ease their mortgage payments.

just an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭blondiexox

ROCKMAN wrote: »

Of the other places , I know the man that owns the Manor Street(worked for him) and while the collage are running the building (may have changed) , He normally runs a good place, But it will be nothing but students Another draw back is its near a local night spot (Harvey's )but think thats more a weekend spot so may not effect you .

Hope this helps.

Do you mean Manor Village? I lived there a few years ago and it's pretty much a party place. And having the security lads in reception watching your every move was a bit annoying! However, the other block, Manor Village 2, is for older students it seems. And they don't have a reception like the other block so you have a bit more freedom.

As for Harvey's, when the students are back it will be fairly busy from wednesday night through to saturday. It might be even busier now this year with some of the clubs closed. I don't know what the story is there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

blondiexox wrote: »
    Do you mean Manor Village? I lived there a few years ago and it's pretty much a party place. And having the security lads in reception watching your every move was a bit annoying! However, the other block, Manor Village 2, is for older students it seems. And they don't have a reception like the other block so you have a bit more freedom.

As for Harvey's, when the students are back it will be fairly busy from wednesday night through to saturday. It might be even busier now this year with some of the clubs closed. I don't know what the story is there!

The one I 'm talking about is on Manor Street about 200 yards from Harvey's (SAME SIDE) just before the traffic lights , Never heard of it called by " Village "
    Bow to your wisdom re. Harvey's ,

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭blondiexox

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    The one I 'm talking about is on Manor Street about 200 yards from Harvey's (SAME SIDE) just before the traffic lights , Never heard of it called by " Village "
    Bow to your wisdom re. Harvey's ,

Ok sorry I thought you meant Manor Village when you said it was run by the college. I don't have "wisdom" about Harvey's, it just what I've seen of it in the last few years. Just throwing in my two cents. :)

Advertisement