Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you get the dole while doing a p/t postgrad and working a p/t job?

• 18-08-2010 1:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hi I am starting a Postgraduate Dip in NCAD in september. Its 5 hours of lectures a week and around 2 hours of placement and the rest, I think, is assignments done in your own time. I suppose this means its part-time? (or does it?)

I am going to have to get a job, and the job will probably only be part time (ie. under 3 days a week), so i have time for college work. Can I get part-dole so?
    If I am means tested they will find that I definitely do NOT have the means. For anything. Will I still have to show that Im looking for full time work, even though Im not because I wont have time with college?

Any idea on what happens here?
    Thanks in advance
    Aine

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Ainekav wrote: »
    Hi I am starting a Postgraduate Dip in NCAD in september. Its 5 hours of lectures a week and around 2 hours of placement and the rest, I think, is assignments done in your own time. I suppose this means its part-time? (or does it?)

I am going to have to get a job, and the job will probably only be part time (ie. under 3 days a week), so i have time for college work. Can I get part-dole so?
    If I am means tested they will find that I definitely do NOT have the means. For anything. Will I still have to show that Im looking for full time work, even though Im not because I wont have time with college?

Thanks in advance
    Aine

If it was a masters by research with thesis only and no lectures, then yes. But since you have lectures you are not available to work so unfortunately you do not qualify for JSA/JSB. THere may be other schemes that cover you though.

edit: BTW that is not part-time, you will find the hours creep up with tutorials etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

I had a friend though who had a postgrad with lectures in the evenings and she got part-dole.My lectures are in the evenings too. Apparently Im not eligible for a grant either until Im 23. What can I do so? Any job I get will only barely keep me because Ill only be able to work around 3 days a week with the postgrad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If all your lectures are in the evening, you would be available for full time work. But you'd also have to be actively seeking work.
    To qualify you must also be working no more than the 3 days a week. It also depends on how much you earn on the days that you do work. For jobseeker's allowance, you'll be means tested and since you're below 23 it would be reduced further.
    You might get something and there's no harm going in and asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,098 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thanks in advance
    Aine
    Not too sure about the dole question but you can get a 20% refund from the revenue commissioners on tuition fees

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

Johnny, where and how do i get this refund? Just go into tax office?

I called citizens information today and told her the situation and she basically said im not available for anything because im under 23 and ill probably be working a part time job.

monotype I dont understand you, sorry, Im under 23 so my parents would have to be means tested and since my father is self employed im assuming I wont be eligible. I am hoping to get a job that is 3 days or less so I can concentrate on my coursework, but this means that I wont be eligible for jobseekers allowance does it? Because I shouldnt be working at all, techinically, because I am supposed to be studying. If I dont get any job so, what are my options, normal dole yes?

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Johnny, where and how do i get this refund? Just go into tax office?
    go to www.revenue.ie and do a search for tuition fees

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

monotype I dont understand you, sorry, Im under 23 so my parents would have to be means tested and since my father is self employed im assuming I wont be eligible. I am hoping to get a job that is 3 days or less so I can concentrate on my coursework, but this means that I wont be eligible for jobseekers allowance does it? Because I shouldnt be working at all, techinically, because I am supposed to be studying. If I dont get any job so, what are my options, normal dole yes?

Thanks again

I was actually referring to jobseeker's allowance, where recent cuts mean that new applications have 50-100 cut if you're below 25.

You'll be eligible for JSA if you're working 3 or less days a week. However,

Jobseeker's benefit is dependent upon PRSI contributions, but if you haven't been working fulltime, you might not have these sufficiently built up.

There's a page around somewhere which details limits that your parents or yourself can earn to qualify for JSA, but I can't find it.

If you leave your job, your parents will still be accessed if you're living with them.

There's a forum on state benefits, you might get more help there.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    go to www.revenue.ie and do a search for tuition fees

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/tuition-fees.html

Actually, I'm interested in this too, and thought that you'd claim it back at the end of the following tax year - e.g., say if you did a course in 2010, you'd claim it at the end of 2011. Is this the case or do you send it in any time?

Monotype wrote: »
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/tuition-fees.html

Actually, I'm interested in this too, and thought that you'd claim it back at the end of the following tax year - e.g., say if you did a course in 2010, you'd claim it at the end of 2011. Is this the case or do you send it in any time?
    any time as soon as you get your receipt

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DsJewel

Hi,I also have question about this. Does anyone know if you're entitled to anything like jobseekers allowance if you're a full time research Masters student + working part time? I'm terrible when it comes to understanding allowances+taxes and such. I doubt I'm eligible for anything but no harm in asking sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

DsJewel wrote: »
    Hi,I also have question about this. Does anyone know if you're entitled to anything like jobseekers allowance if you're a full time research Masters student + working part time? I'm terrible when it comes to understanding allowances+taxes and such. I doubt I'm eligible for anything but no harm in asking sure.

If its thesis only and you are working part-time, then yes. In my case if I worked 2 days a week, while doing my thesis (as I said no lectures or anything like that), and having qualified for full €192, then I would get €152 (you lose a bit for each day you work). If you work 4 days or more then you get nothing that week. Just my experience!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DsJewel

tommy21 wrote: »
    If its thesis only and you are working part-time, then yes. In my case if I worked 2 days a week, while doing my thesis (as I said no lectures or anything like that), and having qualified for full €192, then I would get €152 (you lose a bit for each day you work). If you work 4 days or more then you get nothing that week. Just my experience!

Thanks.I'll look into it more so. God to think of all I might have missed out on do far. Feck.

Advertisement