Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results 2010 - First look at stats in The Irish Times

• 17-08-2010 11:53pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Switch it on now if you want to hear it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Did it start yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I will watch it on the TV3 player later

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Yep.

All they've said of note so far is that Science and Maths failure rates are still high.

Eh, it's over now, they hardly spoke about it at all even though LC was on the front page of the Times and the Independent. I think he said the Indo had something on grade inflation not increasing, but I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

yah i think the headline of the indo is that the points race is off, science and maths failure rate up i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

frser32 wrote: »
    yah i think the headline of the indo is that the points race is off, science and maths failure rates up i think:mad:

Failure rates up? God I must go to bed, before I worry myself further :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

The bloody failure rates are up high as Oridnary level is too divided while higher lever is made too difficult!

Infact they wished to challenge many of those that dropped from higher level who simply wished for an easy A by making ordinary level quite difficult this year,meanwhile those of us who are atrociouse at maths where in all words "****ed!" for this exam :mad:.

Maths being mandatory for most university subjects is idiotic!I wish to study political science and I see not very much use for algebra in it!

I will more than likely fail this exam,I did work but my mind is simply not mathmatic...I do excellent in my other subjects((but obviously my spelling can be poor :)) yet this requirment has dragged me down :mad:

I don't think they said that failure rates are up, rather that they are still high. Probably much the same as last year.

dambarude wrote: »
    I don't think they said that failure rates are up, rather that they are still high. Probably much the same as last year.

ah ok i stand corrected. :) let's pray they aren't anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

failure rates are controlled by the SEC and there marking schemes - they will make a marking scheme to get the bell curve graph they want - it's all a load of ****e basically...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Any one have a link for that show(on TV3)? Just found this thread now...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I would like Foundation Maths from saving me from the worry of possibly failing Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

frser32 wrote: »

wow its a whole article with nothing in it :P chill guys they're scare mongering 4300 people failing math is less than 9% across all levels and says nothing real about the results in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Anothe pointless page filling article about the leaving cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭BeeJazizWafuls

that made me more nervous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Article:http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0818/1224277072626.html
    SEÁN FLYNN, Education Editor

HIGH FAILURE rates in maths, science and business subjects are the most striking feature of the Leaving Cert results published this morning.

More than 4,300 students failed maths in the exam, while failure rates in science subjects at both higher and ordinary level were far higher than in other subjects.

Failure rates were also relatively high across the main business subjects.

The “honours” or ABC rate for higher-level Irish and maths is down this year by 5.5 per cent and 3 per cent respectively – the first decline since 2005. The drop in grades comes after concerns were raised about grade inflation and a “dumbing down” of the Leaving Cert.

With record numbers seeking college places this year, CAO points for most major courses are expected to increase when the first round of offers is published next Monday.

Minister for Education, Mary Coughlan yesterday ruled out the return of college fees during the lifetime of the Government.

Among the most popular subjects, biology had the highest failure rate (9 per cent) at higher level. Failure rates were also relatively high in chemistry (8 per cent); physics (7 per cent); business (6.5 per cent ); and economics (5 per cent). This compares to failure rates of less than 2 per cent for Irish and English.

The failure rate for chemistry at ordinary level was 18.5 per cent.

In maths, the failure rate at ordinary level declined marginally from 10.4 to 9.8 per cent. But only 16 per cent of students – or fewer than 8,500 – took the higher-level paper. This is about a quarter of the figure taking higher-level English.

On a more positive note, the new more “user-friendly” Project Maths course – examined for the first time this year – attracted a higher percentage of higher-level students (18.7 per cent) from the 24 schools in the pilot programme.

Ms Coughlan promised yesterday to press ahead with her plan to award bonus CAO points for maths, despite concerns raised by UCD and other colleges.

Overall, the Leaving Cert results tend to reflect Ireland’s standing in international league tables.

While Ireland is among the top-ranked Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) nations in reading and literacy, it is ranked only in mid-table in both science and maths.

Last night, the group representing 600 US companies in Ireland called for dramatic reform of the education system.

Joanne Richardson, chief executive of the American Chamber of Commerce in Ireland, said the continuing failure rates in subjects such as maths, chemistry and physics was disappointing “considering the focus on developing a smart economy”.

The employers’ group Ibec said fewer than 50 per cent of maths teachers at second level have their main qualification in the subject.

Fine Gael education spokesman Fergus O’Dowd said Ireland needed high levels of achievement in science and technology, but instead of seeing positive moves in this area, the Leaving Cert results had confirmed disappointing trends. Ms Coughlan also promised yesterday that a report on a series of blunders in this year’s exams would be published shortly.

Results are available from early this morning in schools. Students can also access their examination results from midday today by quoting their Personal Identification Number (Pin) and examination number online at examinations.ie, or by phoning 1530 719 290 for callers in the Republic or 00353 1 6885312 for callers from outside the Republic.

Results: main points

Only 16 per cent of students sat the higher-level maths paper while 4,300 failed the subject across all levels.
    The honours rate declined by over 2 per cent in higher-level accounting. Key sections of this paper were omitted when the paper was first distributed in 16 south Dublin schools.
    The number of A, B or C grades in higher-level English grades rose by 0.6 per cent – despite the surprise omission of poet Eavan Boland in the June exam.
    Concerns over grade inflation may be having an impact – the honours rates dipped this year in Irish and maths.
    Among the most popular subjects, music and Irish have the highest honours or ABC rate at higher level. Biology and business have the lowest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭corkman123

doesthis mean the points wont shoot up as first thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

Woah thats alot of maths failures...thank god i passed it last year...

And surprised with Biology to be honest

• Advertisement

Well, courses like mine(Computer Science) might get away easier, but overall they will still jump I'd wager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Second thread with the exact same story...

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭corkman123

ne1 applied 4 arts in ucd?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Ah well.
    We can only wait and see.
    Thank God I don't do Biology, Business or and Sciences.
    A failure more than likely still in store for me with Accounting though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sjacob

This is bad man... so bad. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

THFC wrote: »
    Second thread with the exact same story...

in fairness to the OP, the other threads original topic was about TV3 talking about it, and the link was put up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MyHair

Hoping to christ I'm not one of those maths failures:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Biology had stuff hasnt come upsince before they revised the course!

The amoba ffs :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I think its interesting that more people got a A1 in HL maths than people who failed the higher paper.

But the 1 in 10 for OL, ouch.

• Advertisement

MyHair wrote: »
    Hoping to christ I'm not one of those maths failures:pac:

I'm on that boat for English(H) and Irish(O)....if I pass them I should get the points for at least my third though. So its either crash and burn or home in one.

Advertisement