Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results 2010 - First look at stats in The Irish Times

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Well that has me ****ing bricking it now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

failer rates are high this yr bec probably the way they structured the papers and the unusual qs asked

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

ayumi wrote: »
    failer rates are high this yr bec probably the way they structured the papers and the unusual qs asked
    What do you mean? The papers were structured the same way as any other year!

Ruski wrote: »
    th ord maths paper was not structured like any other yr and some qs were diffcult and biology had qs where u had to apply ur knowlege of biology to the question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭monaghanman10

just got my results there.english a2 maths b2 irish a1 accounting a1 business a1 economics b2 chemistry b3 and french b1

• Registered Users Posts: 42 eoin_mulhern

just got my results there.english a2 maths b2 irish a1 accounting a1 business a1 economics b2 chemistry b3 and french b1

fair play

can't get mine till mid day and am in bloody work

fair play

can't get mine till mid day and am in bloody work
    why cant u go to ur school

• Registered Users Posts: 42 eoin_mulhern

ayumi wrote: »
    why cant u go to ur school

I repeated this year after four years,
    The results get sent to my house but they are available online at 12.

i didnt do it in my old school either

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

I'll take a wild guess he's in work :pac: good luck to you all, more luck to you on Monday though. That's when the nerves really kick in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

I think its interesting that more people got a A1 in HL maths than people who failed the higher paper.

Lots of people drop HL maths when they realise maths isn't their strongest point, even when they could easily pass it, probably due to the reputation it has. In many other subjects once you're passing you don't feel so inclined to drop down from HL. What this means is that within the group that ultimately sits HL maths, you have a much higher concentration of high achievers than in other subjects so the A1 rate is skewed in the unusual way that you pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

Ruski wrote: »

Higher Level Business and Geography had new layouts. Ordinary Irish and French had new layouts also. That threw me off completly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

frser32 wrote: »

We can take from this that the Irish population isn't the best with theory. Something needs to be implemented because if the Leaving cert is dumbed down anymore we will lose our credability as one of the most well educated work forces in the world.

During the boom time if you applied for a job anywhere in the world and had, "Nationality: Irish", on your CV you had the job. Ireland has a reputation for its dedicated, hard workers. Our image of a drunken pig farmer is finally slipping away as we have made huge advances in the fields of Computer technologies and medical research.

The Leaving Cert needs to be brought back up to the standard it was at 40 years ago. All students are simply too lazy too work and the teachers are too lazy to teach. I know, because in my school if the majority of the class was talking the teachers didn't try. They never did one on ones with students who actually wanted to learn, but instead ****ed a ton of notes at us 2 weeks before exam time....

Today, parents have to pay the equivelent of college fees to ensure their child is actually taught something in school. Not that they get a good education...Just to make sure they are taught!

If we make big changes to our education system now, we will definitly see the benefits within the next 6 years.
    I know it sounds corny, but children are the future, and if they aren't motivated now.....

When are they going to be?

Advertisement