Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having a D&C without anaesthetic

Options
  • 18-08-2010 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, I have to have a D&C shortly and the doc wants to do it without a general anaesthetic. He says local anaesthetic is enough (this is a spray on which I dont feel would be adequate.) Has anybody had a D&C done without general anaesthetic? Am really freaked out about this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Fenetta

Please phone/talk to your own GP about this. Maybe you can get a second opinion. Sounds like the gynecologist wants to save time by doing a D&C under local. You are entitled to have general anesthetic unless there is some major medical reason why you can't have it.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 11 leopardlady

Thanks for your reply Fenetta, I got so freaked that eventually rang & said that I wanted full anaesthetic so its being done Wed week. Thats taken a lot of the stress away. Googled 'd&c without anaesthetic' - results were frightening! :eek: Think I might have put the question in the wrong area here but Im new to this and dont know much about it yet. Thanks again for your reply. I'll post a report of how I get on in case it will help someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Hi leopardlady my wife had a D and C back in February in Holles St.
    She didnt have a general anaesthetic but had epidural because of underlying health issues( Diabetes and weigth) She said it was fine.She had a general anaesthetic D and c as well in the past she said she preferred the epidural.
    She says to tell your doctor that your not comfortable with the spray anaesthetic.Your are better to tell your concerns than to keep them to yourself
    I hope this is of a little help to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Fenetta

Thats good news Leopardlady,

All the best, hope everything goes well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

I had one done under local mainly because I'm terrified of general! It was uncomfortable I'll admit but didn't take long and I didn't have to spend time recovering afterwards!

• Advertisement

Hi all,
    Had the d&c under general anaesthetic and all went fine, just tired today so resting up, think its because of the anaesthetic. Im glad I decided to get the general anaesthetic as was very nervous and this way there are no bad memories! Id be more afraid of being awake and aware of the trauma & drama & think that if I have to snuff it, Id rather, as Woody Allen says 'not want to be there when it happens' haha. Thanks for all your comments and helpful advice, very much appreciated.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yellowfrog

hey girls i have now cancelled my c&c 3 times, can i just request a general anesthetic? or does my dr have to ask? i am such a scaredy cat but cant face it ''straight'' :(

I presume your doc has referred you for the d&c so get on to him and tell him you want anaesthetic. If he cant/wont assist then get on to the hosp directly to arrange it, you would have to have this organised in advance as theatre has to be booked for anaesthetic. There is absolutely nothing to worry about, all goes extremely smoothly so dont delay, these things should be dealt with promptly. Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yellowfrog

ok have to grow a pair....or maybe not might scare the gynea LOL

Not at all, ull be fine. Im the biggest wuss and got through it ok so just make the appointment and it will all fall into place. Go do it. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement