Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photography Project - Need Some Advice

• 18-08-2010 5:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭

I live in Vancouver and I've been toying with the idea of trying to photograph the Irish community here. The community is quite small compared to other Canadian cities and it doesn't get much recognition as far as I'm concerned, and isn't helped by the terrible, overpriced, plastic Paddy pubs, which really boil my blood!!!:mad: Not that this project will change that!!

Despite the relatively small/quiet community here there are still quite a lot of Irish here, a lot of whom have been here 10+ years and have settled here with their family, and basically I wanted to capture there story. The idea is to select 20 people and photograph them at work and also enjoying themselves outside work, be it at the beach, hiking, skiing etc.

20 is a lot, and it's going to take me a long time, which is something I'm actually looking forward to. I have sent out a questionnaire to all the Irish run businesses and groups I could think of and the response has been amazing. It's enough work just replying to everyone tbh!

The overall aim of the project is to set up a website, even got a few offers of help with that (which is great as I've no experience at that at all), and have the 2 photographs per page with a small blurb on who the person is, how long they've been in Vancouver, what they do, what they like dislike about the city and what they miss about Ireland etc.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has attempted something similar and could offer any general advice on taking on a project like this. I'm particularly interested to know if I should be getting everyone to sign a waiver to allow use of their photograph on my website. If so what do I need to include? Would a standard model release do?

I haven't really photographed people in this way before, I like to capture the moment so I'm never directing people. I've a few mates who have agreed to let me use them as test subject over the next few weeks but are there any general techniques to directing people? Any absolute no-no's?

Next and more photography specific, I'm going to be photographing some of these people indoors, one guy runs a few cafes and restaurants around town, i want to get a shot of him inside his more famous venue. What equipment would you recommend me getting - this is all being done on a budget but if there is something that I definitely need then I'm willing to save up for! ie diffusers/reflectors etc.

Anything else that anyone want to throw in please do, all advice is much appreciated.

tnx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

make sure they are there legally first !!

(dont know much about immigration laws in Canada - but if its anything like USA...then they'd be deported if the pics and stories are discovered)

Model release forms are a must if you intend creating a website with the images.

Ps. if you are interested in sending to the national media here in Ireland ...ie. Irish in Vancouver documentary - let me know and I'll see if the papers are interested in printing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Thanks PCPhoto. Obviously I'm way off having this finished but I'll keep your offer in mind! Actually been approached this morning by someone who works for an Irish Canadian publication expressing their interest in the project. I'll see how it goes anyway...

I hadn't even thought of asking people if they were legal or not, great point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

You should research and become knowledgeable on environmental portraits.

Plenty of info out there on the interweb - start here:

http://www.illustratedphotography.com/photography-tips/environmental-portraits

And good luck with it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the biggest issue i can see coming from this is that from looking at the pictures the context of the project will get conveyed. Sounds interesting and very good as long as the context of the project is maintained throughout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I agree, the context has to be clear straight away from looking at the pictures. I'm still not sure what way to present the pictures, whether side by side or each on their own, but that's a little bit down the road yet. I have arranged to meet 3 people who got back to me and get theirs shots done in the next 2 weeks. I'll play around with the presentation (it'll be rough and ready) and post it up for C&C. I suppose it'll all depend on the layout of the website though and as of yet I haven't really had a chance to speak to the lad who's willing to help me set that up.

My first 3 willing subjects are; a recent immigrant who is a manager in the chamber of commerce and is a part time model, a prominent business owner in the city who relocated here in the late 80's and an ex army man and retired kilt maker who's been here since the 50's. A good sample to start with I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

sprinkles wrote: »
    Despite the relatively small/quiet community here there are still quite a lot of Irish here, a lot of whom have been here 10+ years and have settled here with their family, and basically I wanted to capture there story. The idea is to select 20 people and photograph them at work and also enjoying themselves outside work, be it at the beach, hiking, skiing etc.

Sounds like an interesting project.

It seems like the might be a big enough Irish community in Vancouver, as there is a GAA club there, it might be worth contacting them or dropping down to the place when some games are being played as it might give you a chance to show that while they have left Ireland they have brought their sporting culture with them. http://www.isscvancouver.com/

Advertisement