Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin pre med courses

Options
  • 18-08-2010 7:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

http://www.premedicalcourses.ie/

Anyone got views on this? whats cost likely to be. Could you do the time in dublin then use it to get into a UK medical school?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Be careful. They might have a fancy website, but that's easy do.

From http://www.imn.ie/index.php/news/1821-beckett-colleges-health-courses-not-recognised-here

A private college which only recently agreed to discontinue its nursing programmes because they were not approved by An Bord Altranais is now planning to run them again from September, IMN has discovered.
    According to An Bord Altranais, the College made the undertaking to stop its nursing courses after the Nursing Board put up a notice on its website advising prospective nursing students that it did not approve the undergraduate and masters courses provided by Beckett College Dublin, as was previously reported by IMN.

While the College has gone on to remove all references to the programmes, mainly targeted at students educated outside Western Europe, from its website www.beckettcollege.com, a receptionist revealed the College would offer an €8,000 per year nursing undergraduate degree programme from September, as well as others in pharmacy, pre-medicine, and radiography, all starting next year. The fees for the other prog*rammes were still being determined, the receptionist said.

The Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland has only accredited three pharmacy degree courses offered by University College Cork, Trinity College Dublin and the RCSI, and said it was not aware of any pending applications for approval.

On its website, Beckett College states that the BSc in radiography will make graduates eligible to apply for registration with the Health Professions Council (HPC) as diagnostic radiographers.

However, the HPC in the UK said the radiography programme delivered in Dublin is not on its list of approved programmes nor will it be approved in the near future, and the recently-established Health and Social Care Professionals Council in Ireland only recognises courses offered by the College of Radiographers, National University Ireland and University College Dublin, and has yet to start approving new courses.

On the pre-medicine qualification course, meant to prepare international students for entry into dental or medical schools in Ireland, a Medical Council spokes*person said the Council does not have jurisdiction over courses other than those leading to the award of recognised registerable qualifications entitling a person to registration with the Council or postgraduate courses leading to completion of training. “The Beckett College pre-medicine foundation course does not fall within this criteria and is not accredited by the Medical Council,” they said.

However, Fine Gael health spokesperson Dr James Reilly said there was a need for the regulation of such courses, otherwise people could be relieved of their money without any guarantee they would receive quality education. Medical schools could be requested to assess such courses, he suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Definitely wouldn't allow you to transfer into a UK medical school anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Welcome, Mr Beckett :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

15,000 grand a year to repeat the leaving with a bit of anatomy and physiology you'd learn in a book thrown in. you'd be absolutely mad to do this. studying medicine would be hard enough without trying to deal with hungarian (one of the most unique european languages).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sdk85

lifeline wrote: »
    I attended an open evening concerning the introduction of the premedical programme which I understand is going to start shortly at Beckett college. The programme was designed for students contemplating repeating the leaving certificate in order to get into medical school. This college has direct connection with the University of Pecs Hungary. Apparently this is the number-one University for medicine in Hungary. Qualifying students after six years can gain an MD qualification immediately (level nine on a European framework). It appears that graduates can easily become Senior House Officers. There was one recently graduated doctor from that University currently working as a HSO in a Dublin hospital -- I have forgotten which hospital that was. I talked with several other undergraduates of the medical program of that University who were there on the night. They seem to have a good time there, exams are different they are all done by viva so you must really know your stuff.
    It appears that Beckett college were offering a repeat leaving certificate with the special emphasis on personal development communications module on cultural diversity (apparently there are over 60 nationalities studying the English-language program at Pecs).
    The other modules included biomedical physics, biomedical chemistry and biology with an emphasis on anatomy and physiology. Beckett college was saying that students could do this program and at the same time repeat the leaving cert and try to get an entry into the Irish medical schools again through the CAO. That will be a tall order, but definitely the medical school seems to be very good and it is widely accepted throughout the world. Apparently Beckett College seems to have gotten exclusivity to work for the Hungarian University in Ireland in this way and the pre-med programme will be followed by 1st Med and 2 Med next year. The firs Med and the second med will be strictly controlled by the Hungarians and Hungarian professors along with some Irish academics personnel will deliver the programmes next year. Summertime apparently will be in Hungary doing anatomy and physiology. Beckett college also said this would be an opportunity for participating students to get familiar with Hungary and Pecs -a southern Hungarian town about the size of Galway .
    The overall idea seems to be very good .when two years are completed in Ireland successful students completed the remaining four years in Hungary.
    Worth looking at --that is my view. I looked up the university and they are very big on research the medical school is part of the University which has 40,000 students.

I was looking on their FAQ section, and apparently completing years one and two in Dublin successfully isn't enough to automatically qualify an applicant for a place in year three at Pecs in Hungary. If I read their description correctly, then it looks you have do the Pecs entrance test like any other outside applicant before they let you in. So basically you're paying 30,000 quid for a 2 year entrance-test preparatory course- albeit with the benefit of doing fours years in Hungary instead of six.

Better off the GAMSAT route IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

lifeline wrote: »
    One thing that attracts me is that if I qualify as an MD after six years in Hungary I could get a HSO position immediately.

Whats a HSO position ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

lifeline -Do you have any connection with the school in question? I've deleted your posts in this thread, please don't post on this subject again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lifeline

Senior House Officer

ok fine - please contact hello@boards.ie before posting again - you'll need to become an official rep.

Thread closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement