Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandwiches

Options
  • 18-08-2010 8:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

I like to make my own sandwiches when I'm travelling: a flask of fresh, home-made tea and homey sambos, mm. Those plastic-packaged, plastic-tasting things you buy in shops are all imported from England and made days before.

One of my favourites: cold roast chicken, sprinkled with salt and a grind of black pepper and a big pinch of chopped parsley, with lettuce leaves for crunch.

Another: finely sliced cucumber, diced tomato, a sprinkling of fresh, chopped parsley and oregano.

I have a few nice recipes - always on batch bread, almost all involving lettuce and chopped parsley - but would welcome ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I like a tuna melt on seedy brown bread: John West tuna and sundried tomato, cheese, tomato, beetroot, lettuce and seafood sauce. Nomnomnom.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Sunday lunch's leftover roast beef, lettuce, scallions(essential), tomato and mayo (maybe some mustard), salt, pepper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I love tuna, with lettuce and red pepper and a little grated cheese.
    On batch of course.
    Brown batch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Loopy wrote: »
    On batch of course.
    Brown batch!

Is that a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

pesto, salami, cheese, mixed leaves & tomato - so good especially on ciabatta!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,160 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I like to make my own sandwiches when I'm travelling: a flask of fresh, home-made tea and homey sambos, mm. Those plastic-packaged, plastic-tasting things you buy in shops are all imported from England and made days before.

One of my favourites: cold roast chicken, sprinkled with salt and a grind of black pepper and a big pinch of chopped parsley, with lettuce leaves for crunch.

Another: finely sliced cucumber, diced tomato, a sprinkling of fresh, chopped parsley and oregano.

I have a few nice recipes - always on batch bread, almost all involving lettuce and chopped parsley - but would welcome ideas.

Do the cucumber tomato ones not get soggy when you are travelling?

Do the cucumber tomato ones not get soggy when you are travelling?

Trick is to freeze them overnight the night before, give them a couple of hours thawing.

Superquinn have nice cool bags for sandwiches at the moment, by the way - they close with Velcro, have a 'cool bag' interior and fold flat when not in use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

2 egg, 2 bacon, 2 sausage, 2 rasher and 2 pudding (1 black and 1 white) Stacked like a tower on top of each other and wrapped up good and tight. If I am having some tea I use the milk over there and the sugar in the bowl, I also love some sauce on my roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

2 Thick slices of bread, some butter, plenty of thin slices of roast pork.

A grind or two of salt and several grinds of pepper.

Sliced in half diagonally.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

Wow great,
    this thread came up on the day I have the fanciest sambos I've ever made in me life.

One with philadelphia spread with reindeer meat & one with philadelphia spread with black forest smoked ham.

Sprinkled with herbs de provence and served on multigrain brown bread.

(This is a one off, normally its a slice of chicken & ham roll and an easi single)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

old_aussie wrote: »
    Sliced in half diagonally.

Uber important

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Is that a thing?

aye..

_editor_Hi-Fibre%20Batch.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Cold roast beef with salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce.
    Warm roast chicken, salt and salad cream.
    Turkey, gherkins, tomato, lettuce, mayonnaise and dijon mustard.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Call me crazy as well but Christmas Dinner sandwiches are amazing. I usually have one on Boxing Day before heading to the pub.

2 slices of well buttered bread + warm christmas dinner leftovers i.e. turkey, ham, spuds, veg and gravy. Once the butter starts to melt it's soooo good.

Sunday lunch leftovers work just as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Novacastrian

What day?
    St. Stephen's Day

Oh, tomato and onion with mayo, and then some red cheddar on white sliced pan.

ALWAYS cut sandwiches diagonally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Warm crusty white roll, slathered with salty butter, thin slices of cold roast beef, spicy horseradish sauce and peppery rocket. Awesome.

Toasted white batch, lashings of butter, smoked streaky rashers, over-easy fried egg, crisp oakleaf lettuce and thickly-sliced plum tomatoes with a sprinkling of sea salt.

Open pita with little gem, caesar dressing, griddled chicken breast, bacon lardons and parmesan cheese, toasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

My favourite sandwich of all time is the turkey salad:

Fresh, crusty white pan from the bakery
    Real mayo
    Real butter
    Crisp iceberg
    Sliced onion
    Sliced boiled egg
    Thinly sliced tomato
    Thinly sliced deli turkey (not from a home-roasted joint - the reformed stuff!)

Absolute perfection in a sandwich.

omg I want a sambo

A friend calls diagonal-sliced sandwiches Catholic sandwiches, and rectangular-sliced ones Protestant sandwiches. But then she also calls tea with the milk in first Protestant tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Not a huge sambo fan, but love open sandwiches - crostini, bruschetta, so on. Bruschetta - diagonally sliced french stick, toasted on one side, then flipped and lightly toasted on the other.

Then pile up chopped tomatoes - often I'll peel and de-seed a kilo of ripe tomatoes earlier in the day, and finely chop the flesh. Pile it into a bowl and glug in lots of extra virgin olive oil, shredded basil, and two crushed (but leave them whole) cloves of garlic. Cover with cling film and leave to sit out at room temperature for at least four hours.

Heap this up on the toasted french bread and if you're feeling like a right piglet, tear good buffalo mozarella into pieces, layer it on top and put them back under the grill until the cheese melts. :D

Also excellent; slice fresh soda bread. Toast on one side under the grill. Flip. Butter with a scraping of good butter. Then layer on thinly sliced, ripe avocado. Squeeze over lemon juice. Then crumble a tangy, bitter blue cheese on top - especially gorgonzola. Back under the grill until the blue cheese melts. You might like a second squeeze of lemon before serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

left over chicken, loads of salt and pepper with tons of stuffing and coleslaw.

my weirdest one is cream cheese one side, ketchup the other and hunky dory cheese and onion crisps in the middle :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Egg Mayo with a slice of Dubliner cheese on top and toasted until the cheese melts. Add a little cracked black pepper on cheese as it melts. mmm

Smoked Mackeral fillets mixed with mayo and dijon and plenty of grated cheese and black pepper. Stir it all together and toast under the grill until the cheese in the mix starts to melt

Advertisement