Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No 2g (GPRS) data on three Ireland

Options
  • 18-08-2010 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

I know threads exist specific to the iPhone and issues people are having on three. I am being told by three that the issue is the iPhone4 and nit the network. Would love to know if anybody else has no data at all when on 3s 2g network.

I have read that 3 have a roaming agreement with vodafone for voice and text but not data. I have also read that people with blackberries had 2g data but in July it all stopped. Seemingly on august 13th 3 turned on 2g data and it seems to be working for some people. Not me though!

My other issue which may or may not be iPhone related is that the phone is that I seem to find the phone on 3 rather than 3(3G) in areas where I know there is good 3G signal. It looks like the phone picks the stronger signal and doesn't prioritise 3G.

I would love other peoples experience. I would love to stay with 3 but I cannot survive having no data most of the time. I can live with 2g data for email, gps etc but trying to get the phone to automatically pickup 3G in a good coverage area is also very frustrating.

Do you have 2g (GPRS) data on three 53 votes

No - I'm using an iPhone
    0% 0 votes
    Yes - I'm using an iPhone
    37% 20 votes
    No - I'm using an different phone
    33% 18 votes
    Yes - I'm using an different phone
    28% 15 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

That's interesting because I was considering moving to three, do you know is this a widespread problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

I dont know, I suppose that is the reason for this thread. Three have great packages and prices for the iphone but it is no good paying for a smartphone with data when you actually cant use it.

At the moment I am on O2 and not very happy, can't really use my phone in work because I can't get on the internet :eek:

I am still considering which phones I am interested in on three, seems to be better value on 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

I'm fairly sure its a problem with settings that is causing the problem.

How I have it working

(Not sure if this step is necessary) On mythree > Account Settings > Access Settings I have set Internet access on - Local and International.

On my phone I have told it to allow data when roaming (because thats effectively what you are doing when on 2g with 3.

My APN is set to 3ireland.ie

The above settings are also necessary to use data on a 3 like home network (UK, Australia etc)

If you go to a country that doesn't have 3 like home you can just disable data when roaming on your device.

I just spoke to somebody in 3 technical support and he was very helpful. He said they are aware of the problem. On friday last they turned on data on 2g but there seems to have been an issue with some of the masts and thats why it works for some people and not others.

The issue where the phone doens't stay on 3g requires a carrier update as the iphone tries to use 2g to save battery life where possible. He said this will also be done.

Here is hoping it is done within the next week before my cooling off period expires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

three doesnt have 2G or otherwise called EDGE

It has GPRS -> 3G

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

three doesnt have 2G or otherwise called EDGE

It has GPRS -> 3G

2g Gsm voice and text
    2.5g GPRS
    2.75g Edge
    3g Wcdma
    3.5g HSPA

sorry :) actually googled it and your right :P

it still doesnt have edge network :P

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

sorry :) actually googled it and your right :P

it still doesnt have edge network :P

I know, the 2g service is provided by vodafone who dont have edge at all!

hence why i preffer metoer...their small unpopulated and non congested speeds provide reasonable speeds outside 3G, and good 3G speeds when in area

• Advertisement

2g Gsm voice and text
    2.5g GPRS
    2.75g Edge
    3g Wcdma
    3.5g HSPA

Thanks for the explanation. I suppose my concern is that 3 should have some sort of data when not on 3g. Looks like if they are roaming with vodafone it should be 2.5g in order to get gprs. Really the phone is no good when there are so many areas without 3g or where the phone wont stay on 3g

Kaskade wrote: »
    I just spoke to somebody in 3 technical support and he was very helpful. He said they are aware of the problem. On friday last they turned on data on 2g but there seems to have been an issue with some of the masts and thats why it works for some people and not others.

The issue where the phone doens't stay on 3g requires a carrier update as the iphone tries to use 2g to save battery life where possible. He said this will also be done.

Here is hoping it is done within the next week before my cooling off period expires.

Data on 2g has been working since I joined 3 in May, so they didn't just 'turn it on' on friday.

It's just a matter of how the phone is set up. People who cant get online when they don't have 3g coverage simply have settings wrong somewhere.

The iPhone 4 should work on GPRS with 3 (via vodafone) with its battery saving thing. The problem is that it will be very slow. It also wont be able to change to 3g since to do so it has to change network (form vodafone to 3).

mathew wrote: »
    Data on 2g has been working since I joined 3 in May, so they didn't just 'turn it on' on friday.

It's just a matter of how the phone is set up. People who cant get online when they don't have 3g coverage simply have settings wrong somewhere.

The iPhone 4 should work on GPRS with 3 (via vodafone) with its battery saving thing. The problem is that it will be very slow. It also wont be able to change to 3g since to do so it has to change network (form vodafone to 3).

Have you any idea how I get these settings, 3 have told me that it was switched on back on Friday the 13th but there was an issue with come cells. I was in Galway, Clare, Limerick and Cork this weekend but I never got the little blue o when I am not in 3g coverage. Twice this morning I have seen the little blue o for about 2 seconds after I hang up a phone call. I'm surprise at how many people have data working, both of our two phones on 3 dont work other than when we have 3g. This is seriously frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭electrolinks

Ive just got the iPhone 4 with three.ie and it doesnt work properly. When I lose 3g connection 2g doesn't kick in. It makes the smartphone into well just a phone.

Im going to leave the netwrok and return my phone. What a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

It does work, you'll see by the poll more people than not have 2G data working

Some people say its a phone hardware issue, some people say its that three.ie dont have GPRS on all cells. Either way it doesnt work for me and three dont know why. Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

if it does work, i.e. 2g works, can someone please explain how I get my phone to work it, when there is no 3g available.

if i switch to 3 (not 3[3g]), in carrier settings I still get no 2g or an icon on my screen.

thanks

I persisted and their tech support made some change on their side now I have 2g as well as 3g on my iPhone 4. So the solution is to call them and insist they fix the issue. Why dont they make sure it works by default?

They told me just now 2g data is just for iphone 4 users :(

Works perfectly on my SGS... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,188 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Getting my SGS today, can't wait : )
    Have my fill of iPhone and the brutal reception on it.
    Have roadtested the SGS and it's amazing how quicker and better the 3G reception is by simply changing phones.

Can't say it works for me..:mad::(

I will give it another try tonight but I am frustrated to say the least..

Have you no 3G at home angel? 2G data seems to be a bit hit and miss.

Have you no 3G at home angel? 2G data seems to be a bit hit and miss.

I get 3G at times and then I lose it so I get "R" and no data. So I have to manually check and then get connected again. I lost it again earlier on my way to work and 3 tell me, 2g data only works for iphone users so they won't do anything for me :(

angel01 wrote: »
    I get 3G at times and then I lose it so I get "R" and no data. So I have to manually check and then get connected again. I lost it again earlier on my way to work and 3 tell me, 2g data only works for iphone users so they won't do anything for me :(
    I put a possible solution in your other thread. Did you try it?

I put a possible solution in your other thread. Did you try it?

I have, my signal is ok at the moment but I will test it on the way home, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I've got GPRS over the vodafone network working for me i had other profiles saved in my phone with differant 3 APN'S i deleted all the other ones and kept the one that had the APN of 3ireland.ie and it works great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

just to chime in here but I'm also having the same problem. Bought my phone 2 days ago and have had nothing but problems (no mms working, no 2g access, phone not ringing even in coverage).

Been on to tech support everyday regarding 2g access but no joy so far. going to return it if I dont get it sorted within the 2 weeks.

BrianjG wrote: »
    just to chime in here but I'm also having the same problem. Bought my phone 2 days ago and have had nothing but problems (no mms working, no 2g access, phone not ringing even in coverage).

Been on to tech support everyday regarding 2g access but no joy so far. going to return it if I dont get it sorted within the 2 weeks.

What phone are you using and where are you, sounds like a dodgy phone best off go back tomorrow and get it swapped for a new one.

• Advertisement

BrianjG wrote: »

I can give you a good contact for 3 who got my 2G data working if you like. PM me for their name :)

Advertisement