Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE player abroad through my Dublin internet

Options
  • 18-08-2010 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi
    Anyone have any bright ideas how to set up my netbook abroad to get RTE player abroad.
    It should be possible to reroute it through my UPC internet connection so as it thinks I am in Dublin
    I have a Draytek 2910vg router which has tons of settings and a QNAP NAS
    Any thoughts greatfully received
    Maurice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

You could VNC to your PC in Ireland and watch it through your pc at home. Not entirely sure how well it would work though, but its a quick fix.

Tbh there's probably better ways of doing it, im sure someone will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

maurice1 wrote: »
    I have a Draytek 2910vg router ......

I think that router should have a VPN facility so wherever you are, you can just connect back to the router and surf from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭maurice1

Thanks Guys for your input.
    GoneDrinking - The VNC route would mean leaving my PC on at home whilst on holidays and I know that using ProgDVB on my PC and VNCing to my net book gets a lot of stuttering in the picture on the net book.

bHickey. Would VPN actually work. I know it has the buttons on the router for VPN but looks complicated and have you been successful setting it up for this proxy purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

maurice1 wrote: »
    bHickey. Would VPN actually work. I know it has the buttons on the router for VPN but looks complicated and have you been successful setting it up for this proxy purpose

VPN would normally be as simple as adding a username/password somewhere on the router's VPN setup page and then connecting to the router from a remote location.

If using Windows then you'll follow the new network connection setup wizard to enter your VPN connection details.

Your computer then is effectively connected to your home LAN and would work as normal - well a bit slower of course. You're not actually using any proxy - just connecting to your home network.

Play with it can see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Will you have open ports while on holiday? If so then the quickest way of doing this would be to expose the SSH server on your NAS such that you can log in to it from the internet. Then use putty on your laptop to set up a socks tunnel back to your nas and set your browser to use that tunnel. Check out http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=421 for a guide on how to set up the putty part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭maurice1

SOLVED

Thanks Guys for all your help

I tried the Sugarman hotspot shield but when I went to whatismyip.com it appeared to be from the USA.

I tried the bhickey VPN method and using that method with whatismyip via a Ipod touch and Joikuspot on a nokia 5800 I am getting the rerouted IP and access to my home network.

Didn't need to try the Knasher method, although interesting to read.

I expect everything will work fine now,

Advertisement