Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lens question: from film to digital

• 18-08-2010 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

I did have (still have) a film Canon EOS 300.....the lens on this is EF 24-90.

I bought a Canon 50d body, stuck the old EF lens on it for the first few weeks.

Now I'm looking at buying a EF-S lens specifically for digital, probably a Canon 28-135, IS USM etc....

My question is this:

Taking the film lens and putting it on the digital camera magnifies the zoom, by i think 1.6....so it is the equivalent of a 38-144, or some such, on a digital camera.

Does the digital lens need to be magnified in the same way?

In other words, would the 28mm view on the EF-S lens used on the digital camera give me the same size of view as the 28mm view of the old EF lens on the old film camera?

Cheers,

Sorry if i haven't explained it well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

In short, no. The focal length on the lens is its actual focal length. Because the sensor on the 50d is smaller than a piece of 35mm film by approximately 1.6, you'll get a correspondingly smaller field of view on the digital body as you would on the film body, so that 28->135 on your digital body will be the equivalent of a 45-> 216 on your film body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

In short, no. The focal length on the lens is its actual focal length. Because the sensor on the 50d is smaller than a piece of 35mm film by approximately 1.6, you'll get a correspondingly smaller field of view on the digital body as you would on the film body, so that 28->135 on your digital body will be the equivalent of a 45-> 216 on your film body.

Thanks, thats very helpful. So a 17-85 on a digital is probably the one I want to go for rather than 28-135.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Bill2673 wrote: »
    Thanks, thats very helpful. So a 17-85 on a digital is probably the one I want to go for rather than 28-135.

I had the 17-85 IS lens for a year or so. Great lens, great quality.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

If you go for a full frame camera you won't have to worry about this. And if you have a collection of lenses already then its well worth the extra cost on the body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

JayEnnis wrote: »
    If you go for a full frame camera you won't have to worry about this. And if you have a collection of lenses already then its well worth the extra cost on the body.

But he's bought a 50D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I definitely have to disagree with Daire Quinlan on this one.

I used to sell Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Tamron kit, and unless it says "effective focal length" somewhere instead of just having a set of numbers, then what it reads is it's actual focal-length, and the 1.6x multiplier for it's effective focal length still applies, so a 24-90 would effectively work as 38.4-144mm lens. (and thus NOT give you the same field of view as it would on a 35mm or "full-frame" body.)

There isn't really anything being "magnified".. it's that your lens projects a circle of light onto a plane parallel to the film/image sensor. The distance from the back of the lens to the film/image sensor is the same in a 35mm as it is in an APS-C digital or a "full-frame" digital.. so the circle is the same size.. but the sensor size is different, so it's only capturing light from a small area of the circle projected by the lens. (see illustration) Because you're taking a smaller section of the image, and generally looking at it at the same size screen, or making the same size print, it works out functionally like magnification. Hopefully this gives one an idea why the effects of a lens such as vignetting, and the distortions of fisheye lenses etc.. aren't as pronounced on an APS-C (1.6) or similar sized sensor.

Sizes in the illustration are not accurate..they're eyeballed.. and only relative to each other.

124637.jpg
    Bill2673 wrote: »
    Taking the film lens and putting it on the digital camera magnifies the zoom, by i think 1.6....so it is the equivalent of a 38-144, or some such, on a digital camera.

Does the digital lens need to be magnified in the same way?

In other words, would the 28mm view on the EF-S lens used on the digital camera give me the same size of view as the 28mm view of the old EF lens on the old film camera?

Cheers,

Sorry if i haven't explained it well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Heebie wrote: »
    I definitely have to disagree with Daire Quinlan on this one.

I used to sell Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Tamron kit, and unless it says "effective focal length" somewhere instead of just having a set of numbers, then what it reads is it's actual focal-length, and the 1.6x multiplier for it's effective focal length still applies, so a 24-90 would effectively work as 38.4-144mm lens. (and thus NOT give you the same field of view as it would on a 35mm or "full-frame" body.)

ehh ... I think that's almost exactly what I DID say !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

That's what I thought too! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I just re-read your original post.. did I really misread it that completely before? =O

Advertisement