Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the difference between a Seminar and a Lecture or Tutorial?

Options
  • 18-08-2010 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the difference between a Seminar and a Lecture or Tutorial? Basically just registering for a module in Environmental Law (cause I am cool) and it says its done in seminars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭n2o

Each seminar in a series is usually given by different guest lecturers each with a separate theme while a lecture series is usually given by an academic based on a continuous course? Just a guess really....

You could just ask the module coordinator.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I could yeah.

Unfortunately though its not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭n2o

In that case, when you find out what it is (as opposed to what it isn't) please do let us know! I'm kinda curious now....

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Lecture = Given by a lecturer (who would have guessed) to all the people in that course. Normally held in lecture halls

Tutorial = Given by a research student normally. The class is divided into small groups. Homework, such as read this paper, is set and the small group talks about it. With maths or chemistry, the homework is problem sheets. Normally held in class rooms.

Seminar = up to the co-ord. Can simply mean another lecture...

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I'm pretty sure you're in Law right? In the law school a seminar is a small class (up to 50 people usually) in the place of a lecture, usually you are expected to do some reading for each class, answer questions, contribute to the discussion. Sometimes there may be alternative methods of assessment, such as a presentation, there's usually an essay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

A seminar and a tutorial for all intents and purposes are the same. They are small group based discussions based on a reading assignment for example. The difference between the two is that seminars are mostly led by a lecturer and tutorials are led by MA/PHD students (?), and seminars are perhaps a bit bigger.

It could be different for other courses but for Arts, that's the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I expected. It makes sense that its a small interactive lecture, I can't imagine environmental law is gonna be the most popular (even though the lecturer is a ride).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

errlloyd wrote: »
    Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I expected. It makes sense that its a small interactive lecture, I can't imagine environmental law is gonna be the most popular (even though the lecturer is a ride).

This just got interesting! Well if the lecturer is a woman anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Nice to know one of my fellow classmates has his priorities right.:pac:See you in the seminars!

Advertisement