Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avensis oil change - 2 O rings?

• 18-08-2010 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hey

Quick question that people might be able to help with. I did an oil change on a 2006 Avensis D4D yesterday. It uses the paper type oil filter. The new filter came with 2 O rings. One larger one to go on the filter cap and also one small one which looked like it would go on the cylinder within the filter housing.

The thing is, when i took the old filter out there was no small O ring used at all. So i was unsure whether to use the small O ring i had, does it go on the cylinder piece before you put the new filter on or after you put the filter on.

I didnt use it in the end as the car has run fine with the old filter in there. Anyone know how the small O ring should be used and is it a problem that i didnt use it??

Car was last serviced in a garage so i presume that had it all done correctly....

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is the smaller one a washer for the sump nut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If its really small (around 6mm Diameter) then it is required to be used on the filter housing. The large ring places around the seal of the housing cap and the small bit is placed on end of the stalk that goes down the centre of the paper filter. If you didn't remove it then it probably causing no hassle.

If its a bigger washer (c. 24mm) then as mentioned its probably for the sump stud

Edit the picture below shows it (although this is from a TDI engine.)
    15db252.jpg
    Its on the top left (small) and the large is on the bottom right.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭serco

Its around an inch in diameter but it is also a rubber one similar to the larger ring that seals the filter cap when its re-inserted.

It was the correct diameter to fit the stalk in the filter housing but since there was none on the stalk when i took it out originally i didnt want to chance putting one on in case i damaged anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

the small rubber seal is for the stalk of the filter housing. the idea is before you open the filter housing you drain the oil from the housing by the bolt/plug at the end of the housing, the seal there is replaced with the small rubber seal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Without the seal on the end of the stalk doesn't that leave it that oil can pass through unfiltered? I thought the lower o-ring was an anti drainback mechanism.

• Advertisement

@Padraic_M
    I think that may be it. There was a bolt at the end of the filter housing and i use this to open up the filter housing itself to expose the paper filter. Possibly the bolt was on fairly tight so instead of opening just the end of the housing to drain the filter oil first, it instead opened the full housing.

If thats the case it seems ok but i suppose id worry about the state of the small O ring that is currently in there and when it was last changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

yeah you only need to change it really if you open it other than that it should be good..

Excellent, thanks very much for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

How long did it take you replace? Would you take a photo of engine with filter on it please? I heard that it is hard to change it in avensis...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What year is your Avensis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

2007, d4d 126KM

Advertisement