Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swords last proper league race tonight the 18th

• 18-08-2010 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

So last proper league race tonight on the new White House circuit. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/119212

Looks flat and fast to me and hopefully wether won't be too . Hope to be there domestics situation allowing.

If Staro just turns up and takes his two points is that the league wrapped up for him? He can't be sent off in group 3 again despite his new role as my leadout man. ;)

Anyone lese planning on racing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Should be fun. Anyone checked out the course in the flesh?

What's next week? Hill time trial?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Some technical sections with s bends and sharp corners . It's mostly flat although does drag up towards the finish.
    Other than the Ashbourne road it's over very quiet roads.

And Staro just needs to turn up this week and next :cool: He did the hard work earlier on and placing last week in the bunch sprint (including all he scratch riders) showed he deserves it

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Did it on a commute home a few weeks ago. I think it's a great course (flattest in the league;)). Road quality is very good (relative to the other courses!). Corners don't seem bad at all, although there are a couple of sharp ones. It will be very fast, particularly if we are only doing 3 laps (33km), and my main issue will be hanging on when we are through the corners.

Next week is Nags Head hill climb:( (already working on my excuses for that one!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'll be there with my marshal suit on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Sign-on opens earlier than usual at 6.30pm, does this mean the start time will be earlier too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

RobFowl wrote: »
    Some technical sections with s bends and sharp corners . It's mostly flat although does drag up towards the finish.
    Other than the Ashbourne road it's over very quiet roads.

And Staro just needs to turn up this week and next :cool: He did the hard work earlier on and placing last week in the bunch sprint (including all he scratch riders) showed he deserves it

Hey Rob, I was PMing you a while back about taking part in some of these races. Am I ok to race tonight? Have my CI licence and all so no probs there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Sign-on opens earlier than usual at 6.30pm, does this mean the start time will be earlier too?

Light is becoming an issue so usually Joe like to get this one started as promptly as possible.

Just at this stage of the season and after all the races so far take a few moments to consider the effort Jim Callaley made in doing up the calendar and the sterling efforts Joe and Breda McNally make week in week out to organise the sign on and handicaps.

All the marshals efforts are appreciated but special mention should go to Sam McArdle and Paul Deans who always seem to do far more than than they have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Light is becoming an issue so usually Joe like to get this one started as promptly as possible.

Just at this stage of the season and after all the races so far take a few moments to consider the effort Jim Callaley made in doing up the calendar and the sterling efforts Joe and Breda McNally make week in week out to organise the sign on and handicaps.

All the marshals efforts are appreciated but special mention should go to Sam McArdle and Paul Deans who always seem to do far more than than they have to.

+1 Also if anyone is free, we'd really appreciate some assistance this evening. This is a new circuit, so more marshals then normal would be appreciated. tks.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

Hopefully the weather won't spoil this one. Have got great experience from doing the races this year & am gutted this is the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

as a matter of interest what is the average speed you guys would be doing in a race? would like to start next season perhaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

as a matter of interest what is the average speed you guys would be doing in a race? would like to start next season perhaps

Depends on the route, who turns up and which group you are in.

But go for 35kph+

Cheers for the race tonight lads (RodFowl in particular for the invite)

Went out with group two and after doing my fair share of leading for two laps hung in there for the third following any breaks. Delighted to come in forth in the end! Not really sure how.

And goldencleric, 37.3kmph by my clock

Cheers for the race tonight lads (RodFowl in particular for the invite)

Went out with group two and after doing my fair share of leading for two laps hung in there for the third following any breaks. Delighted to come in forth in the end! Not really sure how.

And goldencleric, 37.3kmph by my clock

Followed you a bit back in 5th ;) forgot my garmin so no stats. Quite refreshing actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Went scratch again started with 8 but two pulled out early possibly cos of some dodgy corners on the first straight. Some big engines there tonight and struggled in places and was delighted to catch semi-s a lap and a half in to have a wee break. got a second wind and put in a few stints buit no sign of any other groups just stragglers.

Jury out on the course as two blind bends that were a bit hairy esp if you were ahnging on the big boys. Good hard workout and nice to be able to hang on again.

No hill climb for me next week cos I insert appropriate excuse here. Another great league so thanks to Joe Breda Sam JC Lion of Fingal, ambulance crews motorbikes lead cars etc over the season.

I also believe Staro is uncatchable now (if not before this race) but he's keeping his head down for fear of celebrating too early. I can hear the fat lady clearing her throat Staro. Well done. Scratch next year, I need a good lead out man.....

Followed you a bit back in 5th ;) forgot my garmin so no stats. Quite refreshing actually.

There wasn't much left when we caught group 1.

The first three was the one break I couldn't quite cover (although i foolishly tried) which left me in no-mans-land and anxiously looking over my shoulder and unable to get out of the saddle (wrecked) as I closed in on the finish.

I'll be back tho.

That was a tough, fast circuit. Was dropped from group 2 on final lap. Found I lost a lot of ground on the corners due to the wet roads. Stayed with the big boys for a bit and rolled in just behind main bunch.
    Lots of twisting and turning. Not my favourite circuit for sure.
    Lots of thanks to all the organisers and marshals. Gutted it's the last road race this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Is that track really good or really dangerous.... not quite sure!! :rolleyes:

In Group 2 tonight and there were quite a few of us and was kinda nervous heading off as roads were very greazy and with it being a new track I knew lads would be nervous! Group worked well together on lap 1 with most lads taking there turn at the front and the pace was good and high! My Polar is a bit sick and off getting sorted so no stats for tonight I'm afraid! Lap 2 one or two people began to struggle a bit including myself and was worried about hanging on but held in there and by the end of the lap there were about eight of us and my legs were feeling good again! Beginning of Lap 3 we seemed to ease up a little and I thought for sure were gonna get caught. We were given a shout of 45 secs as we turned at St Margarets. The pace picked up at this point and were worked well to stay away. As we approached the N2 we caught up with Group 1 and joined up with 3-4 of them. I somehow found myself at the front as we approached the cross roads and thoguth the lads will just fly past me now. I had planned to go from the White House sign and as it came i got up and went. Dave O Connor went by me and I just had nothing left. My legs were like jelly. I thought I would get caught but had a quick look and saw I was ok for second place. Delighted with that result as it came from Group 2 so it showed me I can stay with them and get up there if we stay away!

Pity season is ending as I appear to hitting some form (as they say on tele)

Hill climb left which isn't my forte but sure just give it everything ya have I suppose!

Time for a cuppa!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Winner from Group 2 this week:D

However they dropped me after about a lap and a quarter:(

I found the pace very erratic tonight, and the up and overs were not working very well at all. I suspect it was down to some riders being a bit faster - gaps opened up after quite a few corners, and the lack of familiarity of the course, meaning most riders did not know what was round the next bend, and the line just strung out (I understand the pace picked up on the last lap when they had already been round a couple of times)

I found myself stuck at the front on a couple of occasions when no-one was coming through, and also spent quite a bit of time closing down gaps before I was dropped.

Although I stuck with Group 3 for a few km once they caught me, I spent 1 and a half laps basically TTing. In the group I averaged 37.1kph and 270w, whereas on my own it was 33.6kph at about 260w.

Overall speed - 35kph, at 265w

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

I thought group 3 caught group 2 after about 5minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

Went in the 4th group off. Took it very easy down to the first turn, but after that the roads seemed to dry out a fair bit. Group didn't really work well together, we never got into a rythem. I was told at the end I was going through a bit too hard, making it difficult for people to follow my wheel and come a round me. It's is probally a throw back from the chaingang where we just tried to rip each others legs off rather than actually work together.

• Advertisement

I thought group 3 caught group 2 after about 5minutes.
    :confused:

Group 3 caught me after about 30 minutes, and Group 2 were at least a minute ahead of me at that time

Didn't see group 3 until the last bend in final lap. Group 2 started fairly big but as a result was a bit disorganised. After the first lap everyone was working well and the pace was tough. Hope everyone made it round in one piece what with the roads being a bit slippery?

Hope everyone made it round in one piece what with the roads being a bit slippery?
    The ambulance kindly stayed behind me for the last couple of km (not sure if they were concerned I may be about to have a heart attack:D) - I'm pretty sure they had nothing better to do all night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Beasty wrote: »
    The ambulance kindly stayed behind me for the last couple of km (not sure if they were concerned I may be about to have a heart attack:D) - I'm pretty sure they had nothing better to do all night!

Beasty that top you wore was lovely last night. The prisioner motif was quite appropriate seeing as we were not far from Thornton Hall. Was there a deeper meaning to the top? Are you imprisoined in Group 2? Time for some pop psychology methinks.

shaungil wrote: »
    Beasty that top you wore was lovely last night. The prisioner motif was quite appropriate seeing as we were not far from Thornton Hall. Was there a deeper meaning to the top? Are you imprisoined in Group 2? Time for some pop psychology methinks.
    I knew you'd like the "Alcatraz" gear - it's all about escaping from Group 2, and into Group 1 - made a pretty good attempt at it last night - hopefully Joe will show some sympathy next year and put me in my rightful place!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭abc_xyz

Set off in 3rd group and found it though going. Really didn't like the first stretch, especially in the wet/damp, and was yo-yoing on-off the back. Group of eight tried to work together but was a bit patchy with bends. I decided I couldn't face the first straight again on the second lap so did big (for me) pull on the front and then dropped off on the old N2 soon after. Not sure if I wimped out/had a decent excuse (I did oly tri Sat, 2hr run Sun, run intervals Tue)/was a bit wary of the course (my bike handling isn't the best when I'm struggling to hang on in group 3).
    Sat out second lap (and noted that group 3 actually went around the second lap about a minute and a half slower then the first lap) and then did last lap with back-markers just so for fun.

Away next week so that's the last race of the year for me. Really enjoyed league this year - did a bunch of races, scored a few points (while I was in group 2), generally was able to hang on to group 2 and then 3 (absolutely nothing left when I was though with 3) and had a decent outing in the club open race on the Corduff circuit. Hopefully I'll manage to do the races next year (I've signed up for IM Austria), if I do, I might try and race be a bit smarter (ie. take a break when I need it, conserve something for the finish) but then again maybe not :) - they are training after all, not an end in itself. Would also like to progress up to group 4 at some stage next year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

‘Chicanery?’

Ah well – I’d hoped to get more out of last night’s race than I did but it was a new route and had recently rained so I was not so comfortable. The marshalling was grand and organisation great as usual so I don’t want the below to sound like a moan. I raced a few times this year and really enjoyed it, I’m sorry that it’s finishing up. I’d stopped racing in June to make sure I didn’t get injured before the Land’s End to John o’ Groats, came back to some marshalling and only got going again last week and now it’s over. It couldn’t go on forever of course and big thanks and congrats to all the organisers and folks who marshalled and did the background stuff that is often not seen – great job.

Last night I turned up feeling pretty nervous about the race ahead. Apart from the usual race nerves, it was on a new course and had just rained so I was half expecting to be picking myself off the ground at some point. When I saw the Alsatians at the start it didn’t help! Thankfully the Marshall braved being eaten and got them brought in. The first group were sent off and we (2nd) were lined up. It was a bit of a mad dash from fairly early on. I think in fairness to most people, the twisty roads, narrow sections, nasty bends and ‘chicanes’ made it really difficult to get the ‘up and overs’ working very smoothly but I also think it’s fair to say that not all of the group actually worked. Of course, this is ok if they are struggling but I believe some were holding back for later….tut, tut. The second lap went better for me and I was thinking that this could finish OK if it continued this way and even the group settled down to a core that was working well. We caught the first group in stages over the second and third lap. On the third lap however, things went awry for me – the section from the Naul turn was fine up to the narrow twisty bits and it was here that I gradually got disconnected. It looked like I might be able to make it back on for a while but inevitably, they were getting away and I just didn’t have the strength to get back on. The average speed was something like 37k/h in the group and I was only managing about 34k/h on my own. I was disgusted with myself and try as I might I couldn’t get on. How is it that the turns seem to grow further apart when you are on your own? Anyway, a group came past which was either the third group or another bit of the second group. These went past and I couldn’t stick with them but on the end was English Bob and we worked together toward the finish, which was a nice break. We were just gaining on people along the last stretch when the line came. I heard later that the winner came from the second group which cheered and bugged me in equal parts. I was not very happy with myself for having let go but I was knackered after the effort that it took to try and do ‘up and overs’, braking and accelerating on the twisty sections. It’s good to have a bit of variation but I don’t think this will be my favourite route in the future.

Big thanks again to the organisers and marshals for their sterling work. It’s a great club and the races are always a good bit of craic. Hill climb next week…

My stats:
    Distance: 33.079k, Max: 49.3k/h, Ave: 36.4k/h, Time: 54:35

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mc2000

Wasn't able to make this one as am away on hols - but just to add to RobFowl's comments earlier and say a big thanks to SwordsCC and to Joe and Jim and Bernie and Breda and Sam and all the marshalls for all the races - I've been doing this league for 7 years now and it just gets better with each season.

chapeau! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

mc2000 wrote: »
    Wasn't able to make this one as am away on hols - but just to add to RobFowl's comments earlier and say a big thanks to SwordsCC and to Joe and Jim and Bernie and Breda and Sam and all the marshalls for all the races - I've been doing this league for 7 years now and it just gets better with each season.

chapeau! :cool:

+1 just back myself from holidays and want to say a big thanks to all who give up their time on a wednesday night to make it possible for us all to race. only got 3 races in myself as i started very late but enjoyed every one of them. cant wait for next year already.

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    +1 just back myself from holidays and want to say a big thanks to all who give up their time on a wednesday night to make it possible for us all to race. only got 3 races in myself as i started very late but enjoyed every one of them. cant wait for next year already.
    There's still the hill climb next week ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Beasty wrote: »
    There's still the hill climb next week ...
    Tempted but feeling very fat after 2 weeks of pasta, ice cream and beer. see how i feel after tomorrow mornings club spin.

Sounds like perfect carb loading to me!!

Advertisement