Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eligible for a "Gold" upgrade - what phone should i go for?

Options
  • 18-08-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I have been told by o2 that I am eligible for a "Gold" upgrade. Aparently, I can choose any phone I want under this offer???

Any suggestions what I should go for?? Best/worst phones?

EDIT: I am not interested in an Iphone.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

HTC Desire!
    Fantastic phone, made only better by the new Froyo 2.2 os.
    Gorgeous screen, easy to use, easy to fiddle with, app market is only getting embiggened daily, can't recommend it highly enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Nice looking phone. Is it easy to use? I'm on o2 Billpay. Is this phone available?

My Dad and brother both have one of those Sony Ericsson Vivaz phones?? Nice looking phone too, although my Dad seems to be having trouble working his!!??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, up to the launch of the iphone 4 the Desire was the most powerful handset on the market, screen is super, the new OS is fast and the 1Ghz processor means everything zips along.
    The 5mp camera has HD recording and it is far more versatile than any iphone when it comes to watching media online, as it supports pretty much everything, and for what it doesn't there are free apps out there.

On the subject of apps, it is easy enough to tell the Desire to accept any apps from any source, so you can "obtain" them from the net, and install them with a simple program to the Desire, which is nice... No Jailbreaking needed.

Also, from Meteor at least, HTC phones are sim unlocked, so they run on any network, handy if you head abroad for a while, you can slip a local sim in and save a fortune on roaming charges.

not sure if the Desire from O2 is similarly unlocked, call and ask I suppose.

The other great feature is, despite the power of the handset, it is relatively cheap, on Meteor, for 30 a month over 18 months, it was only 130, with 200 minutes, 200 texts, 2gb of data and free own network calls and texts.

Here's a comparison of the Desire Vs Vivaz
    http://www.phonegg.com/compare/26/Sony-Ericsson-Vivaz-vs-HTC-Desire.html

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, up to the launch of the iphone 4 the Desire was the most powerful handset on the market, screen is super, the new OS is fast and the 1Ghz processor means everything zips along.
    The 5mp camera has HD recording and it is far more versatile than any iphone when it comes to watching media online, as it supports pretty much everything, and for what it doesn't there are free apps out there.

On the subject of apps, it is easy enough to tell the Desire to accept any apps from any source, so you can "obtain" them from the net, and install them with a simple program to the Desire, which is nice... No Jailbreaking needed.

Also, from Meteor at least, HTC phones are sim unlocked, so they run on any network, handy if you head abroad for a while, you can slip a local sim in and save a fortune on roaming charges.

not sure if the Desire from O2 is similarly unlocked, call and ask I suppose.

The other great feature is, despite the power of the handset, it is relatively cheap, on Meteor, for 30 a month over 18 months, it was only 130, with 200 minutes, 200 texts, 2gb of data and free own network calls and texts.Here's a comparison of the Desire Vs Vivaz
    http://www.phonegg.com/compare/26/Sony-Ericsson-Vivaz-vs-HTC-Desire.html

How much would it be on 02 billpay? Also, I don't really understand the whole "apps" thing??? All I really need the phone to do is to be able to make/receive calls, and send texts.

I originally bought my first mobile phone because, as a disabled driver, I was told that it is a vital piece of equipment, if I happened to break down in the middle of nowhere. Now I can't live without one! :D

Okeydoke

Following on from my OP, I have decided that the type of phone that I want would have to have the following features:

1. Be small(ish) - preferably of the non-flip type.
    2. Have touchscreen technology/or a decent sized keypad
    3. Billpay only.

• Advertisement

Get one of the Nokia business class E-series phones, no bull, just a solid series of phones with great battery life, easy to buy car kits, no hassles, proper keys.
    The Nokia E52 looks like an excellent phone.
    I have seen it in use and it's got a beautiful crisp screen, no touch features but this just means the things battery lasts much longer than the smart phone range, and this could be important if you are on a long journey and need to be in communication with home.
    In fact, the O2 phone site has it running at between 49 and 119, depending on the tariff, and they also have the car kit for 80 or so.
    Could be your best option.

Does that suction cup come in the package too? Could come in very handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

I too had the Gold upgrade earlier this year, so a word of caution !!
    Do not get the Palm Pre, it has caused me heartache. Had to change twice in 1st month, it drops network, locks up, won't upgrade, loses photos (although photo and video quality are great !)....

It is lovely to look at, and when working is as good a phone as I've had, but the lack of support and other users on forums makes it hard to figure out when it goes wrong. It's forever going into "Check SIM - SOS only mode" for no reason, and the only way to fix is to take off the back, battery out and in, and restart !!

So have a good look, HTC may be your best option...

That HTC is a nice looking phone........

..........I think a visit to my local Carphone Warehouse is in order?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

Wait for the N8? That's what I'd do.

So how does one qualify for the gold upgrade anyway?

• Advertisement

Wait for the N8? That's what I'd do.

So how does one qualify for the gold upgrade anyway?

When does that N8 come on the market? How long does the upgrade offer last for?

What does all this jargon mean??

I'm talking about terms such as: Android, OS etc.??

I ended up getting the Nokia 5230. Nice looking phone. I had the alarm set for "weekdays", however I couldnt figure out how to stop it this morning!? It kept going off every 5 minutes.

I managed to figure it out - eventually - and totally by accident. *Memo to self* - RTFM - Read the ****ing manual!!! :D

Are there any specific lanyards for a 5230???

Also, I can't seem to locate the eyelet for the above? Whereabouts on the phone is it located?

Help!!!

My brother has the same phone as I do, and he was able to connect his phone to our home broadband, but I was unable to do this???

Any suggestions/tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Help!!!

My brother has the same car as I do, and he was able to start his car in our driveway, but I was unable to do this???

Any suggestions/tips?

Do you see any problem with this type of post Mickey, there seems to be some details missing and it's like you have done nothing. RTFM first and ask your brother how did he get it going

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Help!!!

My brother has the same phone as I do, and he was able to connect his phone to our home broadband, but I was unable to do this???

Any suggestions/tips?

Your brother doesn't have the same phone as you, your wondering how i know that. The nokia 5230 doesnt have wlan. He probably has the 5530 which does have wlan but looks nearly identical. You have 3g, but he doesnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

never mind the N8...its probably just gonna be a terrible slow phones as the rest...anyway at its price tag its overpriced for what it has...

Davy wrote: »
    Your brother doesn't have the same phone as you, your wondering how i know that. The nokia 5230 doesnt have wlan. He probably has the 5530 which does have wlan but looks nearly identical. You have 3g, but he doesnt.

He's got the Nokia Xpress Music 5800. Excuse my(obvious)ignorance, but what's 3G when it's at home?

He's got the Nokia Xpress Music 5800. Excuse my(obvious)ignorance, but what's 3G when it's at home?

Its high speed internet browsing on your phone using your phones network. In this case o2. You are charged of course as you use it, or sign up for a data add on.

• Advertisement

Its high speed internet browsing on your phone using your phones network. In this case o2. You are charged of course as you use it, or sign up for a data add on.

That's what I thought? So it's better that I don't use it - as my older, more sensible brother said. If I wanted, where would I sign up for a data add-on.

EDIT #2: I think my brother can do both - surf intenet on his own phone network, and thru the home broadband....?

Well its 99cent a day for any day you use it. Thats to a max usage of 50MB. 50MB would be enough for browsing webpages, and email but watching a lot of videos and you could go over it quick enough.

If you plan using it more than 7 days in any month, add the €7.50 addon to your plan, and that will let you use it at anytime will a 250mb limit for the month.

Yes your brother can do both, the 5800 is capable of both.

Well its 99cent a day for any day you use it. Thats to a max usage of 50MB. 50MB would be enough for browsing webpages, and email but watching a lot of videos and you could go over it quick enough.

If you plan using it more than 7 days in any month, add the €7.50 addon to your plan, and that will let you use it at anytime will a 250mb limit for the month.

Nah f**k it.

Nah f**k it.

You could return it for something else. You wont get the 5800 now though. Well not new from a network

You could return it for something else. You wont get the 5800 now though. Well not new from a network

I'd rather use Facebook & surf the 'net from my pc.

Advertisement