Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterior paint for patio slabs

• 18-08-2010 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a large area of ugly stained plain grey concrete slabs. Was thinking it would be good to paint them, maybe a sandstone colour. I found this product which seems perfect but it is only on sale in Australia ...
    http://www.spec-net.com.au/press/1105/wkp.htm

Has anyone come across something similar here or have you painted slabs yourself?
    Thanks

Put this in gardening also.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I woulldnt paint them at any cost to be honest. Id hire the biggest powerwasher i could get my hands on and go haywire on them for the weekend.

If you insist on painting them dulux used to do a step and tile paint in grey and red, for exterior use, would suit precast slabs like these, however you will need to prime them with a stabilising primer prior to any painting as precast concrete such as kerbs, wall capping etc dont like paint very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks snyper

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

id go with what snyper says,6 months down the line and the paint is going to start flaking off,it will look ten times worse than they are now.
    try power washing them with a patio cleaner or bleach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Years ago we used to use some stuff branded "Discrete" that afaik was quite strong Hydrochloric Acid for cleaning paving. Worth a try if you can still get it but beware all the saftey aspects of using it and certainly don't wash it off with a pressure washer as they could do you or anyone around serious damage.

NET-TROL Cleaner is also good stuff and a whole lot safer, if a little expensive.

This article has some basic info on the acid cleaning.

Still I'd try a power washer first.

Advertisement