Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

books on the foreign legion

• 18-08-2010 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    can anyone recommend a book on the foreign legion.Not one on the experiences of soldiers that have enlisted(read one about a british lad that joined in the fifties and also a good one abought an irish soldier)but more on the history of the legion from when it was formed up to the present day.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

'Voices of the Foreign Legion' by Adrian D. Gilbert is a compilation of Legionnaires letters/books tracing the Legion from it's creation in Africa in the 1830's right up to it's PK missions in the Balkans and Congo. It is separated into three main areas -
    1 - The making of a Legionnaire
    2 - Life in the Legion
    3 - The Legion at War.

It's quite a good book, a lot of info and is easy to read. Throught the bibliography you will certainly find more books on the subject.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Voices-Foreign-Legion-French-Words/dp/1845965760/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282128392&sr=1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Thanks will look and see if they have it in town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

"The Devils Guard" by George Robert Elford is a good read. it details the experiences of German members in the FFL from WW2 till Indochina. good book and hard to find but if you see it snap it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭muppet01

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hidden-Soldier-Irish-Legionnaires-Bosnia/dp/1847170323

Not the worst read in the world,shades of Andy McNab though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

"The Last Valley: Dien Bien Phu and the French defeat in Vietnam"
    and
    "Our Friends Beneath the Sands: The Foreign Legion in France's Colonial Conquests 1870-1935"

Both are by Martin Windrow and are supposed to be pretty good. I have The Last Valley, might start it soon, it's a BIG book. I think he has some smaller books about the Legion too.

I've read "French Foreign Legion Operations, 1990-2000" by Yves Debay too. I thought it was really good, and there's lots of great pictures in it. It gives you a bit of info on the various regiments and operations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    Think I seen that in Waterstones.The 2nd book looks good.Will see if they have it in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

"The Devils Guard" by George Robert Elford is a good read. it details the experiences of German members in the FFL from WW2 till Indochina. good book and hard to find but if you see it snap it up.

fact or fiction, that is the question.

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    Hi,
    can anyone recommend a book on the foreign legion.Not one on the experiences of soldiers that have enlisted(read one about a british lad that joined in the fifties and also a good one abought an irish soldier)but more on the history of the legion from when it was formed up to the present day.

Thanks in advance

Beau Geste is a must. it is the iamage of the legion.
    Monsieur legionnaire (in french).
    most contain bit and pieces on the history.
    try Osprey

Fuinseog wrote: »
    fact or fiction, that is the question.

its probably both faction i think its called , i would say its more fact. the part about their women/girlfriends fighting never seemed real to me.

its probably both faction i think its called , i would say its more fact. the part about their women/girlfriends fighting never seemed real to me.

I bought the book at a flea market and read and reread it several times. there were also sequels to it.
    check out the wikipedia (a reliable source?) on it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Guard

or just type in The Devils Guard and a lot will come up. its similar to Sven Hassel as many belive he was more creative than facual, but that is probably a topic for another thread.

• Advertisement

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I bought the book at a flea market and read and reread it several times.

got my copy over 15 years ago for £3.00. have read it a few times and will read it again in the future. never read the other ones but i never came across them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Pure_Cork wrote: »

Absolutely fantastic book, one of the best military books I've read. Keep a month or so of your life free to read it though!!

Advertisement