Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Root canal treatment for molar - crazy price

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 watch the hop

I have been quoted a similar - though slightly lower price for root canal and crown work as the OP. I have been told I need it on two teeth - both adjoining upper pre-molars LHS. I want to keep my teeth and am going to get the treatment as the toothache is driving me nuts.

I may need to get a short term loan to pay for it though and was wondering what would somebody that was not in a position to borrow the price of it, do. Would they have to resign themselves to extraction of the teeth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

virtuous means clear, and root treated molars should all have crowns. .
    Virtuous means good, and vitreous means glassy. Not transparent, but smooth as glass. So all dental porcelains and ceramics that are baked at high temps. are vitreous.
    what would somebody that was not in a position to borrow the price of it, do. Would they have to resign themselves to extraction of the teeth?
    My Irish dentist presented me with the choice of extraction, or a trip to the endodontist for RCT followed by a return visit to him for restoration with a composite filling.
    I found a third option (as described earlier) which was a better treatment, and in-between in price.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Its not actually a related discussion. And lets keep that discussion in that thread please.

Also the point is vitreous ceramics as classified in materials science are not used in dentistry. We use reinforced ceramics such as feldspathic, lithium disilicate reinforced, zirconia reinforced, alumina reinforced, etc.

It's interesting to note that the moderator that you are arguing this point with has forgotten more about ceramics than you will ever know and has a masters degree in prosthodontics. I think he knows what he is talking about.

Finally we are all glad that you feel you got a superior treatment for a lesser price, all of the dentists on this forum feel you got an inferior treatment at a lesser price, which backs up the statement you get what you pay for.

In your experience you got superior treatment. That's great, we're all delighted, there's no need to keep ramming the point home about how crap you think Irish dentists are. WE GET THE IDEA.

That is all.

Eh.. pulling rank does not alter the facts. The terms vitreous and reinforced are not mutually exclusive. All those materials can be classified with either or indeed both labels. No amount of jargon changes that.

I said Irish dentists were too expensive, not that they were crap.
    However some other posters on here, apparently dentists, said that all RCT molars should be restored using a crown and not an onlay, apparently in an attempt to discredit Hungarian dentists.

When I mentioned that the original dental plan proposed by the Irish dentist involved a composite filling restoration after RCT on a molar, there was no comment. I myself am not qualified to speculate on whether this would have succeeded. One year on, I am confident that the onlay as recommended and provided by the dentist in Budapest is a success.

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

recedite wrote: »
    One year on, I am confident that the onlay as recommended and provided by the dentist in Budapest is a success.

That is all.

One year survival is not necessarily success.

It just hasn't failed.

Yet.

Eh.. pulling rank does not alter the facts. The terms vitreous and reinforced are not mutually exclusive. All those materials can be classified with either or indeed both labels. No amount of jargon changes that.

However some other posters on here, apparently dentists, said that all RCT molars should be restored using a crown and not an onlay, apparently in an attempt to discredit Hungarian dentists.

When I mentioned that the original dental plan proposed by the Irish dentist involved a composite filling restoration after RCT on a molar, there was no comment. I myself am not qualified to speculate on whether this would have succeeded. One year on, I am confident that the onlay as recommended and provided by the dentist in Budapest is a success.

That is all.

Actually they are mutually exclusive. Vitreous ceramics are amorphous (non-crystalline). All of the ceramics we use in dentistry are crystalline, and reinforcable with other particulate.

Maybe the access cavity that your original irish dentist was thinking of was small enough as to not necessitate cuspal coverage, and when the other dentist in Budapest accessed the root canal the hole was slightly larger therefore necessitating cuspal coverage.

I certainly wouldn't restore a root canal treated tooth with a feldspathic stacked porcelain onlay as they are notoriously brittle and fail under occlusal loading.

You insinuated that Irish dentists were crap by saying that the level of treatment you got in Budapest was superior. I have disagreed with that.

You don't know what you don't know about dentistry. You are not a dentist (even though you seem to think you know as much or more than one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

All root treated posterior teeth should have full coverage. Without it the chance of fracture within 5 years is greatly increased. Its doesnt matter that you seem to think that kitchen sink ceramic was put in the hole, it makes no difference, it will still fracture.

On the vitreous point, I do have extensive knowledge of dental material science and the term vitreous is not used. Your trying very hard to convince us it is, however it think the use of technicial words to lets us all know you know what your talking about has backfired. Dentists dont expect patients to know technicial terms, so dont bother,

And Big_G its a doctorate I have...... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

[HTML][/HTML]

That is all.

You make a good point here. I have found that some Irish (and English) dentists are slow to crown root filled molars. They fill it and say 'you should get that crowned sometime'. Such advice goes over the patient's head.I think they are worried about scaring the patient away with price.So to encourage them to save the tooth they recommend root canal now and crown later.
    There is one instance where a crown may not be necessary - if the access hole is confined to the occlusal surface (marginal ridges remain intact) but even this depends on lots of other issues. (agreed doctor Fitz?)

On posterior teeth I would always reccomend a crown. Oven if the marginal ridges are intact. The depth of the pulp chamber will lead to a lot of unsupported tooth structure. Its is highly unlikely a posterior teeth would need a RCT with only and occlusal access in general. Generally agreed georgie.

Having said that, would rather a tooth in the head with a rct than one in the bucket without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Yes I agree with all that. But there are those odd exceptions where teeth are unopposed or just opposed by denture etc. Or a geriatric patient. (or a medical card patient)

There is of course the question of needing a good coronal seal for the endo.

I favour crowns 95% (of the time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭lee4892

<snip>
    Thanks for that but you obviously not only did not read the rest of this thread but you haven't read the rules of the charter.

Of course there are exceptions Georgie, but these prove the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So just back from the dentist and he took an X-ray of my molar's on the left hand side, x-ray showed up decay at gum level betwen 6 & 7 on the front one, the tooth has a big enough filling in it, so plan is he is going to remove the old filling try and removed the decayed part of the tooth and then try and fill it, but he did mention the dreaded root canal, and from reading this thread looks like it could cost up to 1000 euros for this work.
    Is the root canal work done over a couple of visits, or one sitting? Besides rooth canal or removal could an implant be done? Are we talking the same kind of cost or more? Might be cheaper as my brother in law in spain makes up ceramic crowns/implants in Spain. Any advise Appreciated.

Is the root canal work done over a couple of visits, or one sitting? Besides rooth canal or removal could an implant be done? Are we talking the same kind of cost or more? Might be cheaper as my brother in law in spain makes up ceramic crowns/implants in Spain. Any advise Appreciated.
    One sitting is needed, although the endodontists I rang wanted to charge for two (the first is a "consultation").
    If you are using a spanish crown you would want to get the impression taken there too. RCT could be done anywhere and sealed up temporarily. An implant is dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

One sitting is needed, although the endodontists I rang wanted to charge for two (the first is a "consultation").
    If you are using a spanish crown you would want to get the impression taken there too. RCT could be done anywhere and sealed up temporarily. An implant is dearer.

I don't know if this is right or not but my wife had to have a tooth removed but she had a pin inserted (not titanium) with what she classes as a crown rather then an implant, now it fell out once tooth and pin but they managed to stick it back in, she reckons that it was a crown I'd call it an implant but maybe someone would clarify this for me.

Thanks

That pin was glued into the stump of a tooth under the crown, whereas the pin in an implant is fused directly with the bone in the skull, ie no tooth left at all.

Sometimes root canal can take more than one visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Big_G wrote: »
    Sometimes root canal can take more than one visit.

Where I work it always does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Guys, just noticed this website now advertising on boards, terrible dental clinic in eastern europe , I am dumbfounded. This is a clinic in Budapest advertising cheap dental prices, take a look a the pictures section and remember that generally clinics post their best patients on their website. To think that irish people are going there to have this type of work done and slag dentists here off about charging more here for quality work, the mind boggles.

• Advertisement

Thats hilarious, that is absolutely terrible crown and bridge work, terrible treatment planning and the heinousness of the denture and implant work took my breath away. You get what you pay for I suppose.

I will have to remove the name unfortunately...see you in the dental lounge ;)

Advertisement