Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tube sizing - wtf?

• 18-08-2010 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

can anyone tell me the size protocol for tubes?

I want to buy some spare tubes and the box of my current tube says:

27/ 28 * 3/4 +1+1.1/16
    700*18- 25c
    18/25-622/630

What does all of this mean?

Is this a good replacement?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Basket.aspx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

justo wrote: »
    can anyone tell me the size protocol for tubes?

I want to buy some spare tubes and the box of my current tube says:

27/ 28 * 3/4 +1+1.1/16
    700*18- 25c
    18/25-622/630

What does all of this mean?

Is this a good replacement?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Basket.aspx

First of all, your link there is to a basket, rather than to the product, so we can't see what you're referring to, only anything that we may have in our own baskets.

Next, I'm not sure what tube to recommend to you, but if you know what's written on the tyre, it might narrow it down a bit more?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

cython wrote: »
    First of all, your link there is to a basket, rather than to the product, so we can't see what you're referring to, only anything that we may have in our own baskets.

Next, I'm not sure what tube to recommend to you, but if you know what's written on the tyre, it might narrow it down a bit more?

Correct link:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44164

I can look at the tyre for more info. but really I want to know how to read the size information for future reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

justo wrote: »
    Correct link:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44164

I can look at the tyre for more info. but really I want to know how to read the size information for future reference.

That looks like it'd cover most or all of the ranges specified on your old tube alright. I can understand what you mean about being able to read it, but I generally buy the tube to fit the tyre, mainly because then I don't have to actually get to the point of removing the tube to figure out what type to get. Generally, as long as the tube is for the same size wheel, and it is suitable for the same bead width, which that one appears to be, it would be an adequate replacement.
    27/ 28 * 3/4 +1+1.1/16
    I think this is an imperial measurement for the tube size
    700*18- 25c
    Metric measurement. Bear in mind that most road tyres are 700c, and then 18-25 is the range of bead widths that it will cover
    18/25-622/630
    Another metric measurement, perhaps based on the wheel size, rather than the tyre size?

I'm open to correction on any of those, as I am guessing a bit from limited experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

cython wrote: »
    That looks like it'd cover most or all of the ranges specified on your old tube alright. I can understand what you mean about being able to read it, but I generally buy the tube to fit the tyre, mainly because then I don't have to actually get to the point of removing the tube to figure out what type to get. Generally, as long as the tube is for the same size wheel, and it is suitable for the same bead width, which that one appears to be, it would be an adequate replacement.

I think this is an imperial measurement for the tube size

Metric measurement. Bear in mind that most road tyres are 700c, and then 18-25 is the range of bead widths that it will cover

Another metric measurement, perhaps based on the wheel size, rather than the tyre size?

I'm open to correction on any of those, as I am guessing a bit from limited experience.

Thanks - this is good info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

622 is the ISO/ETRTO standard and is the diameter of a road rim in mm. 700c is an old nominal measurement of the wheel including a tyre; obviously this varies according the the tyre size so it makes more sense to reference the rim diameter. This was quite a chunky tyre; virtually no road tyres are actually 700 any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

blorg wrote: »
    622 is the ISO/ETRTO standard and is the diameter of a road rim in mm

It's the diameter of the bead seat. This may seem pedantic but it matters if you're measuring your rims.

bead-seat-diameter.jpg

Advertisement