Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New layout Killiney Hill Road

Options
  • 18-08-2010 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

Just a word of warning to regular users of Killiney Hill Road currently partially closed for resurfacing and speed ramps etc.

The junction of Killiney Hill Road / Military Road is now controlled by stop signs on each road at the junction which means that traffic on Killiney Hill Road no longer has right of way as it previously had.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

was up there the other day, place is a mess.

Hope those Stops aren't permanent, that would be silly

Great. :rolleyes:

That'll be a pain in the ass once schools are back :(

I suppose on the upside, cars coming from military road always come way past the edge of the junction, causing cars to swerve, so it'll maybe put a stop to that.

Thanks for the heads up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

it'll be a pain in the arse alright, but if ever there was a road in need of resurfacing, it is that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Works to continue until Spetember 21st which is really going to be fun when the schools are back.

yep, especially when everyone starts to ignore the "local access only" signs cos sure its only up the road a little bit to the junction

• Advertisement

yep, especially when everyone starts to ignore the "local access only" signs cos sure its only up the road a little bit to the junction

Oh. Is it? Good to know ;)

And there was me going all the way down by the dart station last week!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Hope those Stops aren't permanent, that would be silly

Agreed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭leinsterrugby

i use it all the time because well i am local access. it needed to be done after the snow in feb. road was a mess after it. also they put in 2 many speed bumps!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

its a complete joke. no need for the speed ramps. the military road is a mess. Fair enough ban right turns, or put a one way system with seafield road as the other way (keeping seafiled road two way)
    as for the rounabout by the botom of the hill whats that all about??

where are the speed ramps?
    I drove over there this morning to do a dry "back to school" run and went down by the dart station. Is it actually possible to get through without following the diversion? Why couldn't they have had it fixed before tomorrow!!!

• Advertisement

where are the speed ramps?
    I drove over there this morning to do a dry "back to school" run and went down by the dart station. Is it actually possible to get through without following the diversion? Why couldn't they have had it fixed before tomorrow!!!

Well, they have opened it back up! Good timing.

The stop signs are utterly ridiculous, the ramps aren't too bad although they just give slow drivers a good excuse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Took a spin that way on the bike today, at least they kept the edges closest the pavement ramp free so I don't have to slow down at all. :p

trad wrote: »
    Just a word of warning to regular users of Killiney Hill Road currently partially closed for resurfacing and speed ramps etc.

The junction of Killiney Hill Road / Military Road is now controlled by stop signs on each road at the junction which means that traffic on Killiney Hill Road no longer has right of way as it previously had.

so how the heck does this work then? four stops signs at a cross roads? who has right of way?

what a fantastic piece of road planning.:confused:

so how the heck does this work then? four stops signs at a cross roads? who has right of way?

what a fantastic piece of road planning.:confused:

it is actually. whoever arrives at stop line first, proceeds first and you always give way to cars on your right (sorry was thinking of american rules by saying left here)

If this was more common in Ireland it would work well but as most people have never come across one and don't know how to use it, it's not working too well so far

According the the Rules of the Road http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-driving/traffic-signs-road-markings/stop-and-yield.html
    "Stop signs appear at junctions with major roads. If you approach a Stop sign, you must stop completely before entering the major road, no matter how quiet it might appear."

As all 4 roads have stop signs there is no major road so should there be 4 stop signs?

I might just ring the Council on this one.

trad wrote: »
    As all 4 roads have stop signs there is no major road so should there be 4 stop signs?

I might just ring the Council on this one.

yes because it's a four way stop. Why ring the council, get in touch with the RSA for confirmation of what it means

Rang the council, too early for them so had a root around their webiste and this is what they say
    Killiney Hill Road / Military Road Junction - 'Four-Way Stop'
    Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council opened the junction of Killiney Hill Road with Military Road as a 'Four-Way Stop' type junction on Tuesday 31st August. This type of junction is being proposed on a pilot basis with the aim of improving road safety at the junction for all road users. DLRCC have consulted with the Garda Traffic Section in relation to this revised junction layout .
    Advance warning signs will be in place on all 4 approaches to the junction notifying motorists of a revised junction layout. Drivers are asked to be aware as they are approaching the junction, where they are being instructed to come to a complete Stop. They should only proceed through the junction when it is safe to do so. Please note the Rules of the Road state "at a junction where the roads are of equal importance, the traffic on your right has right of way. You must let that traffic pass before moving on. It is important to understand that the right of way is not an absolute right. You must proceed with caution while showing regard for other users of the road."
    DLRCC will be monitoring the operation of the junction and will be liaising with the Gardaí in relation to its effectiveness and efficiency.

I hear what they are saying about roads of equal importance but they usually have yield signs. They seem to be selective in their reading of the ROTR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Feck sake, it's a glorified roundabout using Stop signs instead of Yield signs and without the stupid painted circle on the ground

putting a yield there would not be enough as most drivers would consider the Killiney hill road to still be the main and not slow down enough. It would simply be to dangerous to have a yield at all four. these 4 way stops are a great idea and will hopefully be rolled out country wide

I can't believe how many people have absolutely no idea how to use this junction! The rules of the road have always stated that at road of equal importance you give right of way to the cars on the right. It's not that difficult to figure out.

People are still booting through the junction without even so much as slowing down!

I take back what I said in a previous post, the stop signs aren't ridiculous, the drivers using the junciton are ridiculous!

• Advertisement

From the relevant legislation http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0181.html

Yields and Stop Signs.

8. (1) Traffic sign number RUS 026 shall—

(a) indicate that traffic shall yield right of way to traffic on a major road ahead; and

(b) consist of a red inverted equilateral triangle with rounded corners, the space inside the triangle being coloured white an which shall be shown, in black letters, the words "Yield", "Yield Right of Way', or "Géill SIP'.

(2) Traffic sign number RUS 027 shall—

(a) indicate that traffic shall stop before entering a major road; and

(b) consist of a red octagon with a white border and showing the word "Stop" in white letters.

Both say what to do before entering the Major Road. As none of the roads are a Major Road (all being controlled by a Stop Sign) there is no indication as to who may proceed beyond the Stop Sign. If you are involved in an accident at this junction the first thing you will be told is that you have gone through a Stop sign.

If one of the roads were desginated the Major road there would be no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Ok, so I get that you give way to traffic on your right. If two cars are on opposite sides of the junction both turning right do they just move into the junction and work their way around each other. I guess its like a roundabout, but if four cars are sitting at the juction at the four stop signs it gets a bit more tricky :pac:

Ok, so I get that you give way to traffic on your right. If two cars are on opposite sides of the junction both turning right do they just move into the junction and work their way around each other. I guess its like a roundabout,

whoever gets there first has right of way. if both at the same time one will have to use a bit of common courtesy

I can't believe how many people have absolutely no idea how to use this junction! The rules of the road have always stated that at road of equal importance you give right of way to the cars on the right. It's not that difficult to figure out.

People are still booting through the junction without even so much as slowing down!

I take back what I said in a previous post, the stop signs aren't ridiculous, the drivers using the junciton are ridiculous!

no idea in terms of what? I have been driving for over 20 years and i don't think I have come across a junction like this before, so you'll have to forgive me.

with regards to what to do when you get to one of these, well yeah, slow down and give way to the right is the sensible thing to do, but why not just put a roundabout there like they did at Killiney hill Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

no idea in terms of what? I have been driving for over 20 years and i don't think I have come across a junction like this before, so you'll have to forgive me.

with regards to what to do when you get to one of these, well yeah, slow down and give way to the right is the sensible thing to do, but why not just put a roundabout there like they did at Killiney hill Park?

Is it not too narrow for a roundabout and thats what the problem is? Also most new roundabouts I've seen lately around Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown are the ones where the centrecircle is only inches off the ground thus leading to poor drivers just driving over them.

To be honest, the system on the Killiney Hill Road is a bit non-sensical with no obvious right of way, but with the narrowness of the road and the inability to see around some of those corners I'm quite happy for traffic to grind to a halt there rather then give the right of way to the up/down route of the road; as thats where boy racers tend to absolutely zip down with no cares in the world. If you put a low roundabout in, they'd probably go over it. If you leave them the right of way, they'll continue bombing down it. It was this or traffic lights I guess.....

My apologies if you thought that my post was aimed at you, it wasn't. It was aimed at the folk who keep on going straight through the junction like they did two months ago :)

As someone else said, it's too narrow a road for this. Also, if you ever use the new(ish) roundabout that's at the junction of silchester road/glenageary road upper, you'll notice that people still think they have right of way on the hill. At least this way everyone has to stop and think.

Talking of roundabout, the one at Killiney hill park is being dug up today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Talking of roundabout, the one at Killiney hill park is being dug up today!

dodgin placing of the temporary traffic lights too!! the 'roundabout' means that cars coming from the dalkey side needed to use the right handside of the road and go into the opposite traffics lane approachign the roudnabout. Which would be no problem expcet last week some feckin eejit 'didnt' see the temp lights or signs and kept comign straight at us lucky we missed his car by about 1inch!!
    Needless to say he would have been looking at a hefty insurance rise and I would have probably lost it with him haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

dodgin placing of the temporary traffic lights too!! the 'roundabout' means that cars coming from the dalkey side needed to use the right handside of the road and go into the opposite traffics lane approachign the roudnabout. Which would be no problem expcet last week some feckin eejit 'didnt' see the temp lights or signs and kept comign straight at us lucky we missed his car by about 1inch!!
    Needless to say he would have been looking at a hefty insurance rise and I would have probably lost it with him haha!

Well the lights switch very quick the time I used it i thought the light had been ignored but when I looked back in the mirror the light had gone green for the other traffic, wouldn't be surprised if this caught out one or two people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Only one positive thing about the roundabout at the bottom of the Burma Road. During the next ice spell, tobogganers will have the right away with all traffic coming down Kiliney Hill Road. :p

Advertisement