Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noisy UPC box.

• 18-08-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I got a new UPC box last week. It is the black PVR box. However, it makes a lot of noise. It sounds like the fan is running constantly even when it is in standby mode. It's really starting to annoy me.

Is this normal and I will have to put up with it or should I ring UPC to complain?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

the fan is there to get rid of heat...what way have you this device installed? Is there air space around to allow airflow, or is it (and especially the rear) enclosed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

The box is sitting on a table top and is completely unobstructed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Yup, this is normal for the cheap Cisco HD UPC boxes.
    Ensure its vents at the back are unobstructed is all yea can do. Majority of PVR boxes have fans installed in them due to their storage device (HDD) usually keep running/spinning whenever they are turned off afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭dunworth1

my cisco hd box make no noise at all.

i would ring upc about it and get them to replace the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

dunworth1 wrote: »

Bet it does should yea get your ear close to it with your TV muted :) a mate said his made loads of noise and it wasn't until I started listening for it I sure enough started to hear the fecker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Yup, this is normal for the cheap Cisco HD UPC boxes.
    Ensure its vents at the back are unobstructed is all yea can do. Majority of PVR boxes have fans installed in them due to their storage device (HDD) usually keep running/spinning whenever they are turned off afaik.
    If you can hear it above the tv at a low-comfortable volume, ring UPC and have it replaced. Any fans or HDDs that are not mounted correctly will cause the box to resonate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I think I'll give them a ring to complain, I don't imagine they will do anything about it but it's worth a try.

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I think I'll give them a ring to complain, I don't imagine they will do anything about it but it's worth a try.
    They will replace the box. I have that box (Cisco HD mediabox), I put my ear right up to it and I am certain there is no fan, only a hum from the HDD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

dunworth1 wrote: »

Mine either, it's as quiet as a mouse

It should be no louder than a DVD player!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Mines(black HD Box) got a really high pitchy sound it makes when it first starts up, the sounds seems to dissipate over time though. I'm the only one in the house that complains about it and i watch feck all TV on it anyway so we've not been bothered to ring up and complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Achilles2013

Mine is the same on my second box now noise still come on and it's because it's over heating you need to ring the to replace it don't take the risk it could catch on fire turn it off plug out when your not Home

Advertisement