Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert congratulations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Well all I got for my leaving cert results, going back about 6 years now was jewellery and some mulah! Got a new phone then about a month after!!

These days I'd say either a mobile phone, a laptop, more likely a swanky car or something less posh nosh or poshy nosh depending on the parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

1995: A lift to the pub to meet friends to celebrate.
    None of this car/ holiday malarkey for any of us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Congratulations everybody. I hope you all have a great night tonight.

And wake up with week long debilitating hangovers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I got a hair cut...

Pretty sure I didn't get anything when I did mine :confused:
    Don't remember though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Nothing! As a 3rd year student I say you should be lucky to have your fees paid for by Mammy and Daddy dearest!!

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Nothing! As a 3rd year student I say you should be lucky to have your fees paid for by Mammy and Daddy dearest!!

The taxpayer pays for tuition fees - not mummy & daddy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Alot of secondary schools insist on "Registration Fee's"

Alot of secondary schools insist on "Registration Fee's"

Which is covered by a maintenance grant for a lot of students. Personally, I'd love to see the re-introduction of fees for those whose parents can afford them, which - at least in Dublin - would be the majority of students attending the universities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Which is covered by a maintenance grant for a lot of students. Personally, I'd love to see the re-introduction of fees for those whose parents can afford them, which - at least in Dublin - would be the majority of students attending the universities.

and kids of farmers and many business owners who are loaded...I knew plenty of them in college:mad:

Anyway, well done to all those who did their LC, pass or fail, it's a pretty tough time and nice to have it completed, another chapter completed...just a lifetime of leaving cert related nightmares to look forward to...15 years later and I'm still getting them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Congrats to all the leaving cert students no matter what the results you got you should be proud of your achievement! Relax and enjoy yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

I got my results 2 years ago... parents took me for a meal and gave me money... cant remember how much, think it was a hundred.... and I was v. happy with that! :D

People getting cars is ridiculous... I mean its nice to get a little token to showur kids ur proud and as a result for hard work, but I mean its an exam that pretty much everyone has to do, and these people would probably get the car whether theyd gotten 200 or 500 points.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Did my LC last year, and got a laptop as a well-done/birthday gift (my birthday's in August so the two occasions were amalgamated :P). I had done very little work and came out with 460 though so I was pleased enough with that, never mind getting a "reward".

My Dad did the gayest thing ever for the leavin.. He promised me an unbelievably class present for good results and when the time came round, he's like 'You've a future now'.

I didn't care, I wanted my crate of buckfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

My uncle said he'd give me a euro for every point I got...
    Little did he know that I studied me bollocks off!:D

€405, better than any car/holiday shite!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I was referring to the €1,500-odd that one pays each year to the university... :confused:

CiaranMT wrote: »
    I was referring to the €1,500-odd that one pays each year to the university... :confused:

That isn't a fee - it's a student services charge which covers student services & examination costs and is only paid by those who don't get a maintenance grant.

All tuition fees are free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

My father gave me £20 for a few pints when I passed mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    My father gave me £20 for a few pints when I passed mine.

Wouldnt get you far in Dublin...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

IrishZeus wrote: »

Ooh don't poo-poo a £20, IZ. A £20 note will buy you a steak and kidney pie, a cup of coffee, a slice of cheesecake and a newsreel. With enough change left over to ride the trolley from Battery Park to the polo grounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

why would you get a present for doing well in exams?

as a reward for 6 or 7 months of hard work, it's a nice gesture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

Got one of these little beauties as a present for getting an A in English- Snake 2, polyphonic ringtones. Thought I'd won the lotto.

Then I got it taken off me and a firm slap to the side of the head for failing pass maths. It was a bittersweet day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

My parents were thrilled, my mam started ringing relatives and my dad kept saying he was proud! Present wise, we're going out to dinner at the weekend and my dad gave me some money to enjoy tonight :)

A friend of mine is getting one euro for every point she gets and another got a camera but I havn't heard anyone else talk about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

IrishZeus wrote: »

Back in those days £20 did quite well in a pub. Thankfully I wasn't consuming Dublin prices.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

My parents were thrilled, my mam started ringing relatives and my dad kept saying he was proud! Present wise, we're going out to dinner at the weekend and my dad gave me some money to enjoy tonight :)

A friend of mine is getting one euro for every point she gets and another got a camera but I havn't heard anyone else talk about it.

What ya get?

What ya get?

475, I know a lot of people got higher but i'm delighted with it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

475, I know a lot of people got higher but i'm delighted with it!

More than I got when I did it. :(

More than I got when I did it. :(

I studied like mad, had grinds and everything because I really wanted to get into Trinity. Did you end up getting what you wanted though?

I studied like mad, had grinds and everything because I really wanted to get into Trinity. Did you end up getting what you wanted though?

No third choice, which I dropped out of, didn't expect to get first two though. Now have 5 repeats in a different course that wasn't on my first CAO.

• Advertisement

No third choice, which I dropped out of, didn't expect to get first two though. Now have 5 repeats in a different course that wasn't on my first CAO.

So I guess everything happens for a reason, if you would have gotten your first choice you wouldn't be doing what you are now! Good luck with the repeats : )

Advertisement