Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 move to online billing - is this fair?

Options
  • 18-08-2010 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I got back from hols to receive a flyer with my O2 bill (I'm on billpay) to say that they're moving me to online billing "if it's OK with me". The print on this flyer was tiny, I imagine it'd be hard to read by older folk. Anway, I think it's very cheeky of o2 to go ahead with this change without consenting me - call me old fashioned but I like getting a paper bill to see everything itemised. So I did some research and found this on the askcomreg site. What can we do to reverse this process /object against it?

02 online billing

13th August 2010

ComReg has been in touch with in O2 regarding its recent online billing trial. During these discussions, ComReg advised O2 that it has serious reservations about the proposal to arbitrarily switch consumers to this new on-line billing services without customers prior express permission. ComReg is aware that many consumers already see the benefits that can derive from electronic bills and that many others may elect to join them. However, in the interests of transparency and overall consumer welfare the decision to move to electronic billing should only be made with the prior explicit agreement of that consumer.

ComReg is continuing to constructively engage with O2 on these issues and in the meantime, ComReg advises any O2 customers that have received a communication from O2 on this matter, that they are entitled to receive a paper bill and if they have concerns about this issue to contact O2 on 1909 and to request paper billing.

Additionally, the general issue of online billing has been raised with ComReg via the Telecommunications and Internet Federation (TIF) industry group. During these discussions, ComReg has stated that while there are benefits associated with online billing, the introduction of online billing solutions must also safeguard the interests of consumers and, in that regard, ComReg is looking forward to working with TIF towards finding suitable online billing solutions. This process is ongoing.

Advertisement