Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Times article: Time to clamp down on the lawless world of cyclists

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

niceonetom wrote: »
    Empiricism ftw!

Unfortunately I killed both grannies by seeing how long they could live on a diet of maltodextrose solution, salt and pro plus tablets.

Got any spares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Moflojo wrote: »
    Fair point.
    But then again, if you plug in a toaster oven and chuck it into a bath with your granny it too becomes a killing machine.
    Cars don't kill people, people kill people.

My eyes are bleeding at the thought of seeing my granny in the bath - could you not have picked a less stomach churning image!?!?!?!:)

How about:-

".......and chuck it into a bath with your very fit blond second cousin and her friend - it too becomes a killing machine."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Lumen wrote: »
    Unfortunately I killed both grannies by seeing how long they could live on a diet of maltodextrose solution, salt and pro plus tablets.

Got any spares?

Who lasted the longest? your maternal or paternal one?...... and how long did each last - inquiring minds want to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Moflojo wrote: »
    But then again, if you plug in a toaster oven and chuck it into a bath with your granny it too becomes a killing machine.

Shocking...Positively Shocking !

James Bond did it in Goldfinger.... so it MUST be true !

;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD1ybsvhtng

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Drivers have a duty to drive only white cars. Or perhaps drape their cars in some sort of high-visibility car-vest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_safety
    The Vehicle Color Study, conducted by Monash University Accident Research Centre (MUARC) and published in 2007, analysed 855,258 accidents occurring between 1987 and 2004 in the Australian states of Victoria and Western Australia that resulted in injury or in a vehicle being towed away.[6] The study analysed risk by light condition. It found that in daylight black cars were 12% more likely than white to be involved in an accident, followed by grey cars at 11%, silver cars at 10%, and red and blue cars at 7%, with no other colors found to be significantly more or less risky than white. At dawn or dusk the risk ratio for black cars jumped to 47% more likely than white, and that for silver cars to 15%. In the hours of darkness only red and silver cars were found to be significantly more risky than white, by 10% and 8% respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Drivers have a duty to drive only white cars.

My motorcycle is "copper" or bright orange, has always on (dipped) headlights. I wear hi-viz (cycling) jacket (for aestethic reasons) and I still have motorists pull out in front of me.

My point being, that motorists can be selective in what they see, and react badly (in general) when something unexpected happens. So much so that in general the easiest option is to blame the unexpected item rather than their own judgement / positioning / reactions etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Lumen wrote: »
    If they were wearing cycle helmets, they probably wouldn't have died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Beasty wrote: »
    I was not saying we should not debate it - the point I was making was that there had been plenty of debate on this particular topic already in the thread, with absolutely no signs of either side changing their stance. I was trying to minimise the risk of someone going over the top with a response, and hopefully avoid any need for moderator intervention;)

Too subtle for me :)

Advertisement