Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeals and college places

• 18-08-2010 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

I'm a little confused regarding the appeals process and college places.

What happens in this scenario:

I miss out by 5 points for my course, have a few subjects appealed and go up 15 points in october. Do I now get into my course and someone looses a place in it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

Yeah i was wondering that too! surly they cant kick someone out :S

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Raic

Deaddude wrote: »
    I'm a little confused regarding the appeals process and college places.

What happens in this scenario:

I miss out by 5 points for my course, have a few subjects appealed and go up 15 points in october. Do I now get into my course and someone looses a place in it?
    Good question. I'm pretty sure they reserve places for people who appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ULgirl2010

I think it varies to be honest, if its a course like business or arts, its easy stick in one extra student depending on how much of the course you've missed though it could be too late.

i know a guy who missed out by 5 points, appealed and went up, but had to wait till the following year to begin as he was doing a course with only 30 places, and alot of lab work so it wasnt possible to add in an extra person. very unfair on hom but i suppose theres nothing they can do, so in that case, no they dont kick someone out, you just have to wait a year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

They wouldn't kick anyone out.

I'd imagine they'd offer you a place in like the 2nd or 3rd round if there are places empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

No one losses a place. You'll either be allowed on to the course straight away, or there'll be a place reserved for you next year. I think the places for the appeals students comes from others dropping out of the course early on in the year.

However you can only a join a course before the six week mark. After that it's too late in the year and you'll instead have a reserved place in next years course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Lawliet wrote: »
    No one losses a place. You'll either be allowed on to the course straight away, or there'll be a place reserved for you next year. I think the places for the appeals students comes from others dropping out of the course early on in the year.

However you can only a join a course before the six week mark. After that it's too late in the year and you'll instead have a reserved place in next years course.

Does that still apply if you are a DARE applicant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Happened me. I needed 475 for BESS in Trinity, got 470. Appealed my English and got the extra 5 points. I was then told I could go the following year instead, so I did a year in WIT first. Changed my mind halfway through and ended up going to Queens instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Archimedes wrote: »
    Happened me. I needed 475 for BESS in Trinity, got 470. Appealed my English and got the extra 5 points. I was then told I could go the following year instead, so I did a year in WIT first. Changed my mind halfway through and ended up going to Queens instead!
    I'm in a near exact same boat as you, bar slightly less points (same course)

Advertisement