Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Media] No plans to follow UK clamp ban, says Dempsey

Options
  • 18-08-2010 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭

This is relevant, particularly for those living in apartments. Not a great fan of clamping, but parking was a huge problem in our development until it was introduced. We had people leaving their cars here while they went on a 2 week holiday (we are near the airport). I was threatened when I confronted someone about continually parking in my space. :mad:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0818/1224277071545.html
    MINISTER FOR Transport Noel Dempsey has no plans to ban car clamping on private lands following yesterday’s announcement of such a ban in England and Wales, his spokesman said.
    The Labour Party environment spokeswoman Joanna Tuffy TD called on the Government to follow the example of its British counterpart. “The British government’s decision has been hailed by motoring organisations in the UK, and there is now a strong case for a similar initiative in this country,” Ms Tuffy said.

“People parking in hotel, hospital or shopping centre parks often find themselves clamped, without adequate signage warning them of the need to pay, and then facing an exorbitant charge to have their car unclamped.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

jd wrote: »
    This is relevant, particularly for those living in apartments. Not a great fan of clamping, but parking was a huge problem in our development until it was introduced. We had people leaving their cars here while they went on a 2 week holiday (we are near the airport). I was threatened when I confronted someone about continually parking in my space. :mad:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0818/1224277071545.html
    There's no point having words with someone that is so thick they think they can park where ever they want.

Superglue in the lock and around the car door will teach them a lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If it was regulated, it would be fair. At the moment, you can be clamped mercilessly even when you are in the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

In the sense of accommodation and property clamping is a very important tool, as mentioned above, parking in managed developments can be totally abused. Fines would never be collected whereas if someone is clamped once, it does tend to improve their ability to park after that!

Clampers hired by management companies seem to be better at following the rules than clampers in shopping centres etc. Ours do anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

My parents house is near the city centre and before they brought clamping into force for the area, we had people causing chaos by using it as a giant free car park.

Clamping solved this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

athtrasna wrote: »
    In the sense of accommodation and property clamping is a very important tool, as mentioned above, parking in managed developments can be totally abused. Fines would never be collected whereas if someone is clamped once, it does tend to improve their ability to park after that!

Clampers hired by management companies seem to be better at following the rules than clampers in shopping centres etc. Ours do anyway!
    If there was a proper fine collection service in this country it would solve all problems. People would get fines and then they shouldn't be allowed to tax their car until all fines are paid, it shouldn't be that hard to implement for the councils.

The want has to be there though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I'm referring to private developments. The council and their agents are legally entitled to clamp on public roads but this new ban would seek to end clamping in private areas. It's mainly aimed at car park operators in hospitals and shopping centres but also affects private developments.

Like a previous poster, parking was a nightmare in our development pre clamping. We are close to a hospital and when they brought in paid parking, people started parking in our place. We also had truck drivers parking at the entrance to the development (on land owned by our Management Company). Clamping sorted all these problems out.

Advertisement