Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gáis

Options
  • 18-08-2010 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭

hi,not to sure if this is the right place to be posting.ive just moved house from rented accomadation to the same.ive just got a bill in from bord gais asking for a deposit of 400 or 200 if i go direct debit with them.my question is can they get away with this even though i was a bord gais customer in the last house i lived in which i never was asked for a deposit for then.its a bit steep when were in a reccession.is there any way around this.also everytime you ring them they are holding on to the deposit for different lengths of time 18 months 15 months 12 months.any one have these problems with them.thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I had a similar situation with them. Having had an account with them for 2006 to 2008 and paid every cent owed, I found myself asked for a deposit when back in a gas heated house in 2009.

I basically asked them to reconsider the deposit request in light of my history as a previous customer in good standing. I think the lady I spoke with made some noises about passing that request along, though she herself didn't seem in a position to approve this.

Anyway, I heard no more about it. They never pursued the desposit. Whether it was laziness or customer service it was left at that.

Provided you were named on the bill at a previous house I would advise you to do the same: ask them to waive the deposit given your history as a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

hey,

I had the same issue when I moved into my apartment a year ago.

I can't/couldn't see a reason to transfer bord gais 400 or 200 euro of my money for nothing and I never do direct debit either. I pay what I owe them on time, that's it.
    I rang that I'm not willing to pay 400 euro deposit, but I'll pay my bills. For sure they didn't agree to that.
    So I pay the bills now at the post office and advise the lady behind the counter that I only pay the amount x (amount minus the 400 euro deposit which is always showing up on the bills!!!).

Approx. quarterly I get an automated letter from bord g. about the 400 € deposit I should pay them.....they are a ridiculous company to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Nope, I moved 2 weeks ago and just rang them and they switched the accounts. No mention of a deposit. I was the only name on the bill in my last place and am the only name on this one. Was a simple switch.

I paid them €200 a year or so ago to set up my first account and they still have this.

I think its an acceptable practice as if they take no deposits from anyone then people take advantage then all our bills will go up to cover the cost of the people who dont pay their bills. I would rather them hold onto €200 of my money for a year or two than have €20/30 extra on my bill each month as they had to put the price up to cover those who were running off without paying.

If you name was on the bill in your last place then there should not be a problem with switching the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Beezkneez!

switch to airtricity - even if its rented doesnt matter - owner can swtich back whenever if they want.
    no deposit required. simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Shin Bet

OP the way it works is if your a home owner then you dont have to pay a deposit if your renting then you do in light of all the people who just up sticks and run I cant blame them.
    All you have to do is open an account and say you are the home owner you dont have to pay a deppsit and you will be fine as long as you close the account properly when you move. ie, 30 days written notice

Trust me Im an expert at this with them these days !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Switch to Airtricity or FloGas, they don't require a deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Shin Bet wrote: »
    OP the way it works is if your a home owner then you dont have to pay a deposit if your renting then you do in light of all the people who just up sticks and run I cant blame them.
    All you have to do is open an account and say you are the home owner you dont have to pay a deppsit and you will be fine as long as you close the account properly when you move. ie, 30 days written notice

Trust me Im an expert at this with them these days !!

Wrong there mate! I just bought a house in april and they demanded the 400 euro deposit off me or go direct debit and pay nothing up front.Even though I was transferring my account from another house to my new one.I signed up for direct debit but what I do is set up my account on AIB 24 hour banking and pay 20 euro per week on line and when my bill comes out every 2 months it's usually in credit or I owe them 5 euro;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Shin Bet

Go direct debit its easier than finding a paypal shop and the hassle of cards and payment as long as you dont screw them theres nothing wrong!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Shin Bet wrote: »
    Go direct debit its easier than finding a paypal shop and the hassle of cards and payment as long as you dont screw them theres nothing wrong!!

I meant your wrong about not having to pay the deposit if your a home owner:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭boarduser1980

Wrong there mate! I just bought a house in april and they demanded the 400 euro deposit off me or go direct debit and pay nothing up front.Even though I was transferring my account from another house to my new one.I signed up for direct debit but what I do is set up my account on AIB 24 hour banking and pay 20 euro per week on line and when my bill comes out every 2 months it's usually in credit or I owe them 5 euro;)
    same with me - bought house last sept and they said we had to give 400 euro deposit or go direct debit

• Advertisement
Advertisement