Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level English - Bad results?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭CiaraBelle

Went from a C3 in the mocks to an A1 - shocked and delighted.

Considering how much my mock result affected my confidence, and then how hard I worked to try and improve, it's the result I'm most proud of :D

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

only got a c1. didnt even use it in the end. i was hopin for something in the B1 territory...but oh well.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Got an A1, don't ask me how it happened. Nearly failed it in the mocks :rolleyes: Wonder how that guy got on - the one who went raving after Paper 1 on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SquirrelFace

Got a C2 from a B1 in thr mock so not very happy, well indifferent really, but i know i screwed up on some of the questions, so i wont be appealing, just had a bad day in the exam i guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 MadRush

went from a B2 in the mocks to an A2 today....

can't complain even though i think i'll need those ten points on monday :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

B3....Disappointed. I (and teacher) was convinced I'd have an A2 at least in the bag. Sadly my essay was a load of drab and I got netted up in the non-appearance of boland..

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rossie17

Got an A1, I can tell you it was NOT expected!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

B1. Blerg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

Got a C3 in my mocks and got a B2 in the actual! I'm well delighted with it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I got an A1 but thought I'd get a B3 or so. I also got an A1 in the mocks but I think I waffled a lot more in the actual thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

I said before that if I was going to get an A1 in anything, it'd be English...and it's all I got an A1 in! :rolleyes:

Going off others' results, it seems like a lot of people did very well in English in my class.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

I got an A2, absoultely amazed. I pretty consistently failed English since the beginning of 5th year and barely scraped a D in my mocks. To add to that, I came out of the English exam devastated with how much I managed to write (very little) and I was sure I failed. I'm still not sure that they didn't make a mistake in correcting my script. It's definitely the result I'm most pleased with out of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fairyprincessx

zam wrote: »
    Got an A1 and thought I'd get a B2 at most.. Needless to say surprised and delighted :)

Got an A1 too, over the moon, ran over to my teacher and gave her a big hug!!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Grace16

Got a B2 and i'm so happy with it. In class I usually got C's so it was great to get a B. I think most people in my class were happy with their English

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭aoife365

only got a c3! But im still happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭DavidKelly1

In my school anyone who really deserved the A1 got it.

Myself i got a B3, was happy as I got a C3 in Mocks and Got a B in JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

Got a b1 in the mocks and dropped to a d2. My teacher would go mental if she checks it haha :pac:
    Not gonna recheck either, I passed my leaving so thats that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

just got a d3 in hl by 2% in the mocks and moved up to a c3 in hl in the real thing ok some of you guys got A 1 or a B 1
    not bad for someone who has dyslexia and cant spell

but some times i dont not belive you got that much points because you can i say anything you like here and puting down and makeing people fell bad when they get a lower mark even do thay try there hardist in there tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I got my A1 and I am really ecstatic with it. I put myself under a lot of pressure to get it, as I got an A1 last year as well and obviously it'd be handy for points and all that. English is my best subject, it was my only A1 in both 2009 and 2010 and it comes quite naturally to me. I think I'll actually miss it next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

I got a B2 and i'd normally be an A student...:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭BeeJazizWafuls

Im a D student lol somehow managed to pull a B3 out of the bag, cried like a baby when I seen the result :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

I'm a repeat student. Got an A1 last year, and got another A1 this year. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

Got an A1 :D So happy. English is one of those subjects where I care whether I do really well or not. Delighted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

My English result amaaaazed me! Im a very poor English student - cant spell to save my life, & tend to waffle a lottt to make up for my lack of anything to say. I got a D1/C3 (it was around 55%, cant remember which side of it though!) in the mocks & managed to pull a B1 out of the bag in the real thing! I honestly think there must have been a mistake in the correcting because my essay pretty much consisted of "I love going to concerts. I was at a U2 concert once. It was in Croke Park & was really good. I was at a Westlife concert before too..etc" & I had been compleeetely counting on Boland!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nadia4

im very annoyed with my English result this morning. I was always an a1 student, depends on your examiner i suppose, but got an a1 in all tests, and then i was met with a b1 yesterday. Its bull to be honest. Everything i prepared came up, and did a really good essay in p1. Im getting the paper checked. nobody in our year got an a1, even other a1 students in my class got b1'a and a2's as well. we are all appealing. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Got a B3 :eek:
    Now idea how I managed that.. My essay was less than 2 pages long and I knew feck all about King Lear!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

i got a c3! which i know is good for hl but i really wanted a c1! so i plan 2 view my script with an eng teacher and see where it goes from there

nadia4 wrote: »
    im very annoyed with my English result this morning. I was always an a1 student, depends on your examiner i suppose, but got an a1 in all tests, and then i was met with a b1 yesterday. Its bull to be honest. Everything i prepared came up, and did a really good essay in p1. Im getting the paper checked. nobody in our year got an a1, even other a1 students in my class got b1'a and a2's as well. we are all appealing. :mad:

English is very subjective really. Your teacher may have been giving you top results because your style appealed to her. Then in the real thing, your style may not have impressed the marker. Its horrible that they have the freedom to grade you based on their own beliefs of what makes a good english student.

Be aware though: Your grade could still go down if you get another marker who doesnt like your style. Just be careful. I know a B1 is a tough pill to swallow when your used to a certain grade, but believe me its also an excellent result at higher level LC English and you should be proud of yourself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nadia4

Dr. Ring wrote: »
    English is very subjective really. Your teacher may have been giving you top results because your style appealed to her. Then in the real thing, your style may not have impressed the marker. Its horrible that they have the freedom to grade you based on their own beliefs of what makes a good english student.

Be aware though: Your grade could still go down if you get another marker who doesnt like your style. Just be careful. I know a B1 is a tough pill to swallow when your used to a certain grade, but believe me its also an excellent result at higher level LC English and you should be proud of yourself :)

thanks :) It's an extremely subjective subject. I don't think the grade justified the amount of work, effort and discipline i put into it though. I am delighted of my performance overall. I am going to view it to see the marks, if its near a b2 i wont get it remarked, however if it's couple marks away from a2 then i shall be checking. :D

• Advertisement

nadia4 wrote: »
    thanks :) It's an extremely subjective subject. I don't think the grade justified the amount of work, effort and discipline i put into it though. I am delighted of my performance overall. I am going to view it to see the marks, if its near a b2 i wont get it remarked, however if it's couple marks away from a2 then i shall be checking. :D

And your dead rite. Jesus you sound like me. Long lost sibling? haha

Seriously though, I can understand your drive for english. Personally, I loved it and it just seemed to come out of nowhere. I got my A1 yesterday and it was one of the only results that I wanted the top marks in. Like you, I put in a lot of time and effort into it and I just wanted to reap the seeds I'd laid down. View it sure, and like you said, if there is any doubt u should b upgraded, get it reviewed.

I would, however, get a different english teacher to review it with you because its clear your normal teacher really likes your work. Get a fresh set of eyes to be sure :)

Advertisement