Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level English - Bad results?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 calzini

Got an A1, absolutely thrilled! Got a B3 in the pre and was so disappointed, thought I didn't stand a chance of getting higher than a B in the real thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nadia4

Dr. Ring wrote: »
    And your dead rite. Jesus you sound like me. Long lost sibling? haha

Seriously though, I can understand your drive for english. Personally, I loved it and it just seemed to come out of nowhere. I got my A1 yesterday and it was one of the only results that I wanted the top marks in. Like you, I put in a lot of time and effort into it and I just wanted to reap the seeds I'd laid down. View it sure, and like you said, if there is any doubt u should b upgraded, get it reviewed.

I would, however, get a different english teacher to review it with you because its clear your normal teacher really likes your work. Get a fresh set of eyes to be sure :)

Yah English was my passion, it was undeniably my favorite subject. I was even thinking of studying it next year i liked it so much. Well done on the a1, fair play to you :) I have my course points anyway so its fine, but it would be nice to get upgraded, as it was my best subject. Thank's for the advice on a new teacher viewing, my teacher literally admired my style, so there could have been some prejudice towards me. A fresh perspective i think will clarify my concerns and the situation. Cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

D1 all the way...:p:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

nadia4 wrote: »
    Yah English was my passion, it was undeniably my favorite subject. I was even thinking of studying it next year i liked it so much. Well done on the a1, fair play to you :) I have my course points anyway so its fine, but it would be nice to get upgraded, as it was my best subject. Thank's for the advice on a new teacher viewing, my teacher literally admired my style, so there could have been some prejudice towards me. A fresh perspective i think will clarify my concerns and the situation. Cheers :D

No problem. Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭0.M.GXX

devastated with my english result.. i got a D1
    considering i have been getting high b's all year round.. and i thought my english exam went well in june.. i am sincerely guttered.. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Got a D1 in higher and Im pretty delighted with it, got 30% in the mocks so was just wishing for a D3 yesterday and was happy to see a D1. Considering my king lear essay was 4 lines long and my paper 2 essay was only about 2 pages long I think thats a good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Got an A2, still can't believe it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I came out thinking I'd be happy with a C2 at the most - then I got an A2 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: i actually haven't still gotten over the shock of it tbh....

English has to be the greatest load of sh!te though because it is so subjective - I think I'm going to go to view the script just to see was there a mistake in adding up the marks or something :P

and the best part - I didn't revise king lear or the comparatives :p i couldn't even remember any of the names of any of the Mundy sisters in Dancing at Lughansa and I'm sure I left out big tracts of King Lear in my answer as well - but saying that in both answers I do think I stuck straight to the question and didn't waffle at all - because I didn't know the story well enough to waffle but that's besides the point.....

also I wrote a letter for the comprenhsion on Al Gore and my eassy ended up being an extended version of this letter sooooo - dunno if every examiner would be impressed by that now lol

Never in my life was I as surprised - it's the first time I've ever gotten an A in English like in my second level education - and most of the time I was in the low Bs at the very best so....

Whoever corrected mine - Thanking you :D you threw my leaving cert points total way over what I was expecting to get at the very best :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I went from a C3 in the Mocks to a B1 in the real. Delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭bubblz

B3 baby... :)

delighted... got a C3 last yr...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

Got a B2...the exact same as the mocks. I'm a bit annoyed as I did a lot more work after the mocks than before hand so I don't know why I didn't see an improvement in my results. I felt pretty confident after the exam that I had gotten a B1 or an A2 but I suppose that English is just so subjective that it really depends on who's marking your paper as opposed to how good you are at the subject.

Anyhoo, well done to everyone who got through Higher Level English...at least we never have to learn off another King Lear quote, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

Got a B3 after getting a D1 last year and failing my mocks this year..i was in shock....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Got me an A2, I was delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,709 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Not happy, D1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ilikesunshine

I got A2 from a C1 in mocks only learnt 2 poets so I'm happy thought I might scrape the A1 though cause I LOVED that paper so much !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I got a B2 - I was fairly happy with that, a bit of a disimprovement from the mocks but I'm still happy.

Some of you guys have gotten excellent results in English - well done! Remember, unlike some subjects in school a good aptitude in English will stick with you for the rest of your life - writing letters, preparing CVs, writing reports, job applications, reading, ability to get 8 letter words on Countdown

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cli2931

I got an A2 and am so happy with it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 aoife005

Got an A2 and I didn't even attempt the poetry question. My advice to anyone next year is don't concentrate too much on it and put your time into the other questions.... whoooooop I was so shocked :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,709 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

aoife005 wrote: »
    Got an A2 and I didn't even attempt the poetry question. My advice to anyone next year is don't concentrate too much on it and put your time into the other questions.... whoooooop I was so shocked :)

70 marks is not 10%... I'm having a hard time believing this one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 aoife005

Sorry I meant to say the studied poetry!! Of course I did the unseen...so simple like :P

Sorry about that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭A19B1C12

B2 with no work all year..thought it was a class result!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

C3 from a D1 in the mocks, very dissapointed. But I kinda understand, didnt touch the Lear qs :S but my poetry and comparison were A standard they must have crusified me on paper one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Tryst

moneyman wrote: »
    I'm a repeat student. Got an A1 last year, and got another A1 this year. :D

Why did you repeat a subject you already got the max number of marks for?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Tryst wrote: »

I'm guessing he/she needed more points for his/her course. You have to earn all your points in the one sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Tryst wrote: »
    Because he cant combine points from two separate sittings

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

i got an A2 absolutely delighted repeated this year got a C3 last year so am ecstatic didn't think learning adrienne rich would be so worthwhile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

'Tis kinda killing me the way loads of people are saying that they jumped from Cs to As.. without expecting it or people did no poetry and still got an A :(.. Clearly I'm just jealous of these amazing results!! Fair play to ye..!

I got a B3 in the pre and went down to a C2 in the real thing :( I'm Going to take a look at it anyway and see where I went down..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

cork*girl wrote: »
    'Tis kinda killing me the way loads of people are saying that they jumped from Cs to As.. without expecting it or people did no poetry and still got an A :(.. Clearly I'm just jealous of these amazing results!! Fair play to ye..!

Yea, same here. I'd look at mine but I really don't want my teacher to see my paper.

I got a B3 in the pre and went down to a C2 in the real thing :( I'm Going to take a look at it anyway and see where I went down..

I went down in loads of my mock results - but they were corrected by our own teachers so it's not an accurate reflection of anything. Plus I knew what was coming up for a lot of them. I regret that now -it lulled me into a false sense of security.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

DGRulz wrote: »
    Yea, same here. I'd look at mine but I really don't want my teacher to see my paper.

In the same boat as yous. Went down from a B3 in mocks to C2 in the real, gutted thought I might go up to an A even. I also don't want my teacher to see my paper either but no alternative really.

Advertisement