Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra subject

• 18-08-2010 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Im doing 7 subjects at the moment. 6 of them are HL. I want to do an extra subject for the leaving which im doing this year. I was thinking Chemistry or maybe Physics to help me with my college courses. I want to know has anyone else done this and how did you do it. Also did you find it easier or hard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

I wouldn't recommend either of those as an extra subject. Physics is very demanding and a guy I know today got an E in it. And he's very smart. I did it at start of 5th year and moved to Biology. The workload for Chemistry is meant to be very tough.

I'd advise something easier, like Ag. Science, Music, Geography. But If your going into 6th year you wouldn't have enough done to be confident enough with Chemistry or Physics. Biology could be done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

ok thanks. Im already doing maths, irish, english, history, spanish, home ec and biology. its just to get my points up. I thought those two because i was always good at science and did well in my junior cert. ive never actually done agricultural science so i wonder what it would be like?

does anyone know whats involved in agricultural science??? is it just an exam paper or what???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

How about Physchem?
    It's a doddle, and would cover some elements of both Physics and Chemistry...

what does Physchem involve??? is there any sample papers???

• Advertisement

It's less than half a chemistry course + less than half a physics course.

http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=en&sc=ep&formAction=type

Right. Thanks. Im just wondering can i get the course done from now until june??

Probably. I got a D2 in it in my mocks, and an A2 in June, and I don't think I broke my back studying for it.

That said, it's been... let's see... 7 yearsish since I did the LC, so the subject may have become more difficult since then. I'm sure some of the kids on here have done it though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

I did 8 cos I had pass English and Irish. So wanted 6 honours subjects. I picked up Home Ec (old course) in the January. I had my sister who'd just finished the course helping me and between the overlap with biology and business and general knowledge it was straightforward. I think I got a b1 and it raised my points by about 30-40 compared to including English instead. It's like everything though, it depends on how fast you pick up things. It's likely that you'll only get to cover some of the course once so like most LC subjects you'll have to be able to recall things you mightn't have studied in depth. I didn't find the extra study too bad cos I relaxed the study in English and Irish a lot. Good luck in June!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Lexii307 wrote: »
    does anyone know whats involved in agricultural science??? is it just an exam paper or what???

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055467114&highlight=science

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

got an A1 today in physics. i found it was not too demanding exam wise. but i wouldnt recommend either physics or chemistry if your already in 6th year now. i think the work load would be too demanding trying to cover the whole course of either subject in a year! certainly in higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

geetar wrote: »
    got an A1 today in physics. i found it was not too demanding exam wise. but i wouldnt recommend either physics or chemistry if your already in 6th year now. i think the work load would be too demanding trying to cover the whole course of either subject in a year! certainly in higher level.
    I agree. All HL subjects require a lot of work. Trying to get yourself to an A1 standard in HL physics or chemistry in a year is very demanding, on top of all your other subjects!

Advertisement