Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ag.science results

• 18-08-2010 1:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31

i was just wondering what everybody else got in ag .science??the paper caused a lot of controversy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mithrid

I only got a C1 in the paper, such a shocker! It was certainly a controversial paper and the only subject that let me down too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

I was fuming over it last June, had myself convinced it would destroy my leaving... turns out i got an A1, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

got a d1, i hoped for better... But did nothing and had a desperate teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TRAPASARMY

A2. actually dissapointed got 99% in pres

To be honest its a joke of a subject... they really need to write a proper syllabus for it and stop letting teachers mark projects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

B1. Silly subject. Got A1s in everything else nearly. Got As all year, 100%s, perfect project and pow, B1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 repeat92

i got a B2 im delighted really because i didnt think i would get that. i was half expecting a D.. i think it was the project that brought me up..

i hope it worked out well for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭mark182

E :confused: aw well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

A1 fool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Calum196 wrote: »
    To be honest its a joke of a subject... they really need to write a proper syllabus for it and stop letting teachers mark projects.

Teachers marking projects has nothing to do with it. External examiners check their marks.

theowen wrote: »
    B1. Silly subject. Got A1s in everything else nearly. Got As all year, 100%s, perfect project and pow, B1.

The rate of As in Ag Science is not as high as everyone would have you believe. When the stats per subject are published in the papers in the next few days have a look at the percentage As in ag science. It's not as high as other subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭UglyFuc

after the seeminly impossible paper and all the people saying loads of questions were badly phrased and not really on the course.

i thought it was my worst exam. i was wrecked on the day, and thought the paper was very hard along with every one else

B2 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I was hoping for atleast a c2 n this...instead i got a D1!!!!In the pre I gt a B3 for petes sake and our ag.sci teacher marks incredibly hard and ask very difficult and odd questions.

In all fairness,who I ever came across the fella who wrote this paper I would give a feckin mouthfull!(Im one of the calmest people in the world but this really pisses me off!))I lost the points I needed for my subject....thanks Mr test maker,thank you for creating this ridiculouse paper!We new it was going to be more difficult this year but that was just plain to much!

Teachers marking projects has nothing to do with it. External examiners check their marks.

Yes it does, its wrong. I myself have seen how messed up the system is.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fairyprincessx

A1......was in disbelief after that paper!
    The project definately brought me up!
    :D
    Bring on continuous assessment!

Why is it wrong? You said you only sat the LC last June so you're not a teacher and you don't grade the projects.

Why is it wrong? You said you only sat the LC last June so you're not a teacher and you don't grade the projects.

First of all I haven't a notion of getting in a you contradict me, I contradict you game.

Second I did not say I just sat the LC last June, I'm a repeat.

It seems entirely unfair for anyone who has any sort of a relationship with the canditate to mark any examinable material for leaving cert marks. Personal prejudice and bias will always play apart.

The examiner does a very quick sweep through projects so not every candidate has their entire project checked. Interviews are extremely staged with most teachers knowing the exact questions that will be asked and the order in which plant families will be asked, among other tricks I'm sure.

Case in point : My project last year was graded roughly as C2, yet this year my exact same project was graded at an A1 with a different teacher. Which is hilarious.

Finally the entire project is utterly irrelevant... Created largely by reproducing large amounts of text book notes, either hand written or (worse yet) directly printed off from online sources.

Many projects are recycled as in "I'm gonna do ag. science, sure my brother did it last year and I'll have his project".

What could be done is something more like the geography or history course work where work is submitted in a department booklet and never returned to the candidate.

And clearly the syllabus is very undefined as proven by last years paper.

First of all I haven't a notion of getting in a you contradict me, I contradict you game.

Second I did not say I just sat the LC last June, I'm a repeat.

It's a matter of semantics, you made reference to last years paper, hence my assumption.
    It seems entirely unfair for anyone who has any sort of a relationship with the canditate to mark any examinable material for leaving cert marks. Personal prejudice and bias will always play apart.

The examiner does a very quick sweep through projects so not every candidate has their entire project checked. Interviews are extremely staged with most teachers knowing the exact questions that will be asked and the order in which plant families will be asked, among other tricks I'm sure.

Were you sitting in the room when the examiner went through the projects. No, you weren't because the examiner does that alone, so you have no idea how long the examiner spent on your project.

Interviews are not 'staged'. Teachers are not told what questions will be asked beforehand. I am an ag teacher and an examiner. My only contact with the school beforehand is to arrange the date I will arrive to examine. I have no idea what the students will present in their projects beforehand so I couldn't have a set of questions to hand to an teacher. Some schools will be all dairy and potatoes, elsewhere it might all be wheat and pigs. Examiners bring their own set of plants with them if the school does not provide a set. They can add their own into the set provided and mix them up in whatever way they want. If a student has appeared to 'learn off a set of plants in a certain order' you can be sure they will be asked to identify more or the plants will be mixed up.

There are no tricks to it despite what you may think.
    Case in point : My project last year was graded roughly as C2, yet this year my exact same project was graded at an A1 with a different teacher. Which is hilarious.

Although you handed up an identical project it does not mean you will get the same mark. You have to be able to understand and explain your project, your experiments and identify plants and animals. Anyone can hand up what looks like an outstanding project, but it is possible in under a minute to find out if they actually understand any of what they have written. Some students even admit to not knowing what they've written about. I assume as a repeat that you worked to improve your marks this year which would see an improvement in your project grade.

Finally the entire project is utterly irrelevant... Created largely by reproducing large amounts of text book notes, either hand written or (worse yet) directly printed off from online sources.

Many projects are recycled as in "I'm gonna do ag. science, sure my brother did it last year and I'll have his project".

What could be done is something more like the geography or history course work where work is submitted in a department booklet and never returned to the candidate.

Where do you suppose students should get their information from? If they are doing a history or geography project they will also get their information from books, internet etc. Not all students go down that route, I see plenty of projects every year where there is good work being done, where students have gone to farms and got the information themselves. Those who print straight from online sources are very easy to catch. I've seen some material so often that I can tell you what website it is from.

Plagiarism is a problem in any subject that has project work. I'm not saying it is right but where projects exist, plagiarism will exist. If you think this is a problem at second level, wait until you go to third level.

As for the syllabus, I've commented several times on it on this forum. It was written in 1969, I don't think I need to say anymore. It's not the teachers' fault. If you have an issue contact the chief examiner for the subject and make yourself heard. Then maybe they might consider updating it. Do you think it's easy for teachers to teach the syllabus and then have students coming out of an exam saying 'you never taught us x,y, and z' ... when it's a topic that has never been taught and has never been examined. Teachers are in no better a position when it comes to the syllabus.

I have no issue, I got my A1 out of it. I've just seen and witnessed blantant abuse of the system.... and theres no way I'm going to argue this is a meaningless forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Sorry, but this made me grin! :D

Did you hurt your head on your desk, rainbow? :p

Seriously, if I had a tenner for every time rainbow has pointed out the flaws with regard to the syllabus in this forum (esp. after the exam this year) I could probably do a round the world tour by now!

• Advertisement

Sorry, but this made me grin! :D

Did you hurt your head on your desk, rainbow? :p

Seriously, if I had a tenner for every time rainbow has pointed out the flaws with regard to the syllabus in this forum (esp. after the exam this year) I could probably do a round the world tour by now!

:D:D:D my head hurts!!!

you'd be able to fly first class I reckon!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

Deep down Id been kinda-hoping for an A...but hey, theres nothing wrong with a B1:D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

C1...

Got all B's except Ag.Science

Ugh that paper was a joke...

How did anybody get an A1 ::eek: fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

What difference does it make?

Advertisement