Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vlan or subnet or both

Options
  • 18-08-2010 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

hi new to this but here goes,

i have a idea to build an network for learning purposes

i have a 24 port cisco switch and a cisco router

i want to put a vlan 3 i think on the switch, i have subnet the network into a /26

but my dhcp server is dishing out ips do i put scopes in there for the separate sub nets?

i am totally confused

basically i wanna plug in 3 physical machines into the switch and be on separate vlans and able to ping each other:rolleyes:

any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

So you have 3 ports on the switch configured as access ports in the 3 separate VLANs. Then you should have the router plugged into a port on the switch configured as a trunk port allowing the three VLANs. (If the switch is an older one you may need to tell it to use dot1q trunking instead of ISL n the trunk port).

On the router interface connected to the switch you should have 3 sub interfaces configured with the appropriate VLANs (dot1q encapsulation) with an IP address in each respective IP subnet.

Is your DHCP server then running on the cisco router?

If so - configure a DHCP pool for each IP subnet and set the appropriate gateway address in each one (to the appropriate sub interface IP mentioned above).

Then you should enter in DHCP exclusions for each of the IP addresses on the router sub interfaces.

Ive deliberately not posted any config as you say this is a learning exercise, post back if you get stuck though and I can elaborate on any piece that is causing you problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

active directory is dishing out the dhcp, can it be set for a certain network card mac address get a ip from a server server?

oh and thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Advertisement