Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To repeat or not?

• 18-08-2010 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I'm disappointed with my leaving cert results and I'm considering whether to repeat or not. I've got well over what's needed for my #2 college, but I had my heart set on Trinity. I know that if I actually work this time I could probably get the points, but I'm not sure what to do. All my friends will have moved on and I'll feel like I'm left behind!

Also, I don't know how much the subjects have changed and I don't want to have to take on a massive workload of new material. I'm just really confused and don't know what to do :(

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

you could repeat one or two subjects?

or take your second choice. Really, I know it seems scary, but no one stays with there secondary school friends in college after a while. People who try to end up not making friends with new people at the start of the year.

If you do another course in Dublin its easy to get to the city centre to meet people from Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Noodleworm wrote: »

or take your second choice. Really, I know it seems scary, but no one stays with there secondary school friends in college after a while. People who try to end up not making friends with new people at the start of the year.

If you do another course in Dublin its easy to get to the city centre to meet people from Trinity.

If it's the same subject just a different college just take your #2 college. Why put yourself throught the stress of the LC again just to get into a different college?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ShaneIRL

It really depends on you. Is your second choice completely different than your first? if so then you need to ask yourself where do you see yourself going in life? if they are similar then Id say take your second choice and get your college life started. At the end of the day you will always find time for those people who are truely your friends and they will do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭*Miss Ní C*

hey thanks for they advice :)

I meant my friends moving on in their lives whilst I'll be stuck in the same old place. I haven't a clue what repeating entails, so I'll have to find out! thanks!

It's virtually the same course, it's just that I haven't been there...stupid, I know, but I didn't really plan ahead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

hey thanks for they advice :)

I meant my friends moving on in their lives whilst I'll be stuck in the same old place. I haven't a clue what repeating entails, so I'll have to find out! thanks!
    dont be stuck in the same old place then! Just move on, go to your #2 if its the same subject, and move on with your life :)
    Hardly any point giving up another year of your short time on the earth to repeat some exams.

best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Any advice?

I don't think you can worry about your friends. Friendships tend to drift apart after LC anyway, no matter what.

If you want Trinity, you want Trinity, you're something of a perfectionist so going it 'alone' for a year to get the extra points might be a really well worth it.

In the current economic climate, there won't be work for you for another eight years at minimum anyway. Your 'higher' Trinity degree will be worth more, as you know already. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

It's virtually the same course, it's just that I haven't been there...stupid, I know, but I didn't really plan ahead!

Maybe some time this week go with a friend to look around the campus? sometimes you can organise tours.

might help you make up your mind before offers next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I'm disappointed with my leaving cert results and I'm considering whether to repeat or not. I've got well over what's needed for my #2 college, but I had my heart set on Trinity. I know that if I actually work this time I could probably get the points, but I'm not sure what to do. All my friends will have moved on and I'll feel like I'm left behind!

Also, I don't know how much the subjects have changed and I don't want to have to take on a massive workload of new material. I'm just really confused and don't know what to do :(

Any advice?

The only thing that really change is English with new material. If you really really really really had your heart set on one course, repeating is a good option. You'll know what to expect next time. However, the choice of going to the 2nd college could be a good idea also, I know people who didn't get their 1st choice and it ended up been the best thing ever to happen.
    Noodleworm wrote: »

Not necessarily true, my year, LC 09 still kept in touch and went out with the lads who repeated this year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

gbee wrote: »
    Your 'higher' Trinity degree will be worth more, as you know already. :)

Will be worth more than what? Unless her number 2 is some small college in the sticks then I don't see it meaning more. If it's UCD or Maynooth I wouldn't say Trinity would be worth more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭theflash800

I had my heart set on a specific course last year and i didn't get the marks for it. But the course i did get is brilliant.
    The point im making is you may prefer your #2 course. I wouldnt consider repeating until the CAO comes out to be honest. Enjoy today for what it is. Be happy you made it through school, and dont panic ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Are you mad? Why so hell bent on Trinity? Its just another college and if you get the same course somewhere else, and really want that course, ud be silly to put 'but its nawt in Triniteeeeee' as a reason to reject that.

felic wrote: »
    Are you mad? Why so hell bent on Trinity? Its just another college and if you get the same course somewhere else, and really want that course, ud be silly to put 'but its nawt in Triniteeeeee' as a reason to reject that.

It sounds silly, but I just really liked Trinity. I went to a few other open days and, though I liked the colleges themselves, the lecturers that were giving the course intro put me off. I don't know why, I just got this feeling. I can't explain!

I think I was being a bit rash this morning, I got one hell of a shock and went into panic mode. Thanks for all the replies :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is no guarantee you will get better results next year. There is no guarantee the points will stay the same.

I think you're mad to be considering repeating.
    You have a place in the course you want.
    There are many, many people would swap with you in a heartbeat.

spurious wrote: »
    There is no guarantee you will get better results next year. There is no guarantee the points will stay the same.

I know, and that's what I'm afraid of. My parents are hell bent on me repeating as they think I'm too young to go to college, and that plays a part in my confused state.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

where could u repeat as most schools are not accepting applications

ayumi wrote: »
    where could u repeat as most schools are not accepting applications

I can repeat in my old school, we all got a letter about it

I can repeat in my old school, we all got a letter about it
    my school doesnt allow us to repeat we need to look for another school

my school doesnt allow us to repeat we need to look for another school

God, that's horrible. So much hassle! What do you do if you've to repeat? Are there any schools nearby that'll take you or do you have to go to a grinds school?

God, that's horrible. So much hassle! What do you do if you've to repeat? Are there any schools nearby that'll take you or do you have to go to a grinds school?

thats the problem in my school,all grind and college of further education have stopped taking applications

• Advertisement

That's horrible...thank god for my school's willingness to accept repeats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

I think the points are more likely to be lower next year?

Although I wouldn't like to repeat :confused:

Its a personal decision.

Good luck

HxGH wrote: »
    I think the points are more likely to be lower next year

Why do you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭aoife365

You should wait till monday! I repeated this year and im so happy I did theres a good chance ill get da course I want! But if u really want it u should just go 4 it!

thats the problem in my school,all grind and college of further education have stopped taking applications
    wht shoudl I do if i want to repeat?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

all grind schools have not stopped accepting applications, that's just not true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

The Irish course is changing I believe.Could be wrong now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Grind 'schools' will keep taking people once they pay.

There are plenty of other options to repeat, if you must, that don't involve giving large sums of money to a business.

OP - I still think you're crazy not to take your place in the second choice college. You could always do post-grad in Trinity if you think it's such a big deal to go there, but it's just another place to study.

Advertisement