Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a Digital Piano

• 18-08-2010 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently in the market for a digital piano. I have recently taken up learning piano and i am currently using a very outdated keyboard. Which i think is holding me back in commiting more time to learning. I have read in several places that to truly learn piano you must use one with weighted keys and dynamic sound. My current keyboard has neither of these things:(

So i have been doing some reasearch into what digital piano would suit my needs. So i came to conclusion i would need fully weigthed keys, dynamic sound, 88 keys and foot pedals.

The piano i am looking into at the moment is the yahama YDP - 141 Arius. I havent been able to find any critical reviews of the piano. What i was wondering, is does anyone have any experience with this range of pianos, or could anyone possible recommend a better one in that price range.

I am planning on taking a trip into dublin to visit the various music shops and tryout their ranges of Digital pianos before making any purchases so my mind isnt made up just yet.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Devane

i would need fully weigthed keys, dynamic sound, 88 keys and foot pedals.

The spec of the YDP - 141 Arius says its a GHS keyboard.

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/link/1056753

Don't be fooled by "real piano feel" you may read in the sales pitch. GHS is the standard for entry level digital pianos. All the keys weigh the same. That's not what a piano feels like. GHS feels like a toy.

There's three levels above GHS....

"Graded Hammer (GH) or GHE
    Just as on a traditional acoustic piano, lower notes on a GH keyboard have a heavier touch, while the higher ones are more responsive to lighter playing. GH features an extra key sensor capable of reproducing fast repetitive playing of a single note with perfect articulation."

GH3 : as above but with a extra sensor for fast repeat ability on the same note.

and Natural Wood Keyboard: GH3 with wood.

Aim for GHE (GH) as minimum.

I have a stage piano Yahama P140 (not available anymore). It has a GHE keyboard. The feel is the same as the others.

If you going to try out models, ask for a GH model and play the low notes and compare with the high notes. Playing another persons piano is hard enough but at least if you have a decent keybed playing on a real piano will be easier....and some sound will come out when you play.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_ydp141_r_arius_set.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_ydp_161_r_arius.htm

Theres about 160 euro difference there. Definitely worth it though in the end.

Advertisement