Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clip or clipless system

Options
  • 18-08-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I like to do 50 - 80 km day trips, up to the Naul etc. maybe visit friends in maynooth. I have a fast flat-bar hybrid and with the bar-ends it does me fine.

The pedals have a tough unbranded plastic cage. It's a great help and when I removed them once as an experiment I wasn't near as efficient.

Now one of the cages has worn out at the screw attachment.

I was thinking of getting clipless pedals but do I understand correctly that you can't walk with them on? I need a system where I can get off and walk!

So is anyone aware of a pedal clip system (or clipless - though they're all clips to me :-) that might suit me? Any recommendation for a plastic "open cage" clip?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

SPDs cleats are typically recessed into the sole of the shoe so that you can walk fine. Some SPD shoes are better for walking than others - it depends how stiff the sole is.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bloch

Thanks Lumen,

The bicycle could then only be used with the cycling shoes. I'm not convinced of the advantage, but then I've never worn clipless.

I'm just seeing what the options are, if there are any systems I'm not aware of. Are there any fans of the plastic "open cage" system? Are there any handy clipped systems that I can attach to the existing pedals?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bloch wrote: »
    The bicycle could then only be used with the cycling shoes.

This is true, but unless you need to cycle in smart clothes it shouldn't be a problem, and even then there are solutions.
    I'm not convinced of the advantage, but then I've never worn clipless.

Once you go clipless you'll probably not want to cycle without them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Buy a new bike with clipless pedals for long distance cycles. Keep your existing one for when you want to potter about in your Sunday's best.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The bicycle could then only be used with the cycling shoes. I'm not convinced of the advantage, but then I've never worn clipless.
    That's not entirely true.

You can generally still use non-clipless shoes with clipless pedals. However the pedal is a good deal smaller and you have little or no grip so it's only suitable for shorter runs.

You can get half-clipless pedals which have a standard flat on one side and clipless on the other. If you use your bike a lot for shorter spins where you wouldn't be wearing your cycling shoes, then they're the option for you.
    Example

All that said, you're thinking of cycling shoes in terms of them being a bright shiny pink kind of clown shoe. MTB shoes are usually more "fashionable" and you can get ones with very recessed cleats that barely make a noise when you're walking.
    (expensive) Example
    Are there any fans of the plastic "open cage" system? Are there any handy clipped systems that I can attach to the existing pedals?
    I haven't used clips since I was a teenager. Most people here seem to consider them more dangerous and less efficient than clipless pedals for being harder to get out of in case of emergency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I'm just seeing what the options are, if there are any systems I'm not aware of. Are there any fans of the plastic "open cage" system? Are there any handy clipped systems that I can attach to the existing pedals?

You could use these pedals with this type of shoe, this will allow for cliping in when out for proper cycle and then ordinary shoes if just poppin out for a errand. This is what I use on my commuter bike that would also use for short trips from the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

The bicycle could then only be used with the cycling shoes.

One option is mountain bike pedals http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7808 They have spd's in the centre but have a cage surrounding the spd in order to provide a decent amount of grip if you dont manage to clip in or are not wearing cleats. Another advantage is they have spd's on both sides of the pedal so you don't have to turn the pedal over to the correct side which can be very handy in stop start traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bloch

Thanks guys,
    thanks Highway, I like the look of those shoes.
    you're thinking of cycling shoes in terms of them being a bright shiny pink kind of clown shoe

Yes, I suppose I was!
    I don't go for the shiny sporty look. Indeed I wore the arse out of a couple of pairs of jeans before I relented and wore shorts.

Advertisement