Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ringsend

Options
  • 18-08-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Currently thinking from moving outa Ballsbridge, seems to be a lot of places along Ringsend Road,Penrose & Doris Str. etc, that area south of the River but near Grand canal Dock DART station.

Just wondering if anyone knows what that neighbourhood is like could tell and whats its like being close to the docks, crime, atmosphere etc...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Hi there- I had a similar thread a few weeks back :
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055984919

FWIW, I haven't moved in yet, but I have walked down after 10 a couple of evenings and it always seems very quiet.

It's a grand area. Only problem is with occasional burglaries and bike thefts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Bike thefts a problem all over dublin really though -city and suburbs.

I live along the dodder in Ringsend, love the place. seen very little if any hassle as long as i've been here.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Moved back to Ringsend myself couple of months ago.
    Grand area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Cool sounds pretty good apart from the burglary.

No problems with Car theft/vandalism, kinda torn between here and Ranelagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

You'll find it hard to beat all the transport options available to you;
    Buses;1,2,3,50,56A,77,77A,74/74A(weekends)
    Dart; Grand Canal Dock Stn.
    Luas; Short walk across from Docklands side of river.

It's a very nice quiet area and in 15 years i've never seen any trouble around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It's a grand area. Only problem is with occasional burglaries and bike thefts.

Your bike will be vandalised/stolen if you park it on the street anywhere.

Never heard of any burglaries myself nor from people I know living down there, care to eleaborate what type of dwellings have been the target of said burglaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

I've been living there since April, generally safe enough area although I have had some problems with my car.

1. young fella thought it would be great idea to jump off low wall and use my windscreen as route to the ground - needless to say windscreen of my little fiesta smashed!

2. Parking can be tight during the day, its free parking on the street (except near church and spar) so people working in ifsc or in closer to town with no free parking use the area which would be fine except that they have a habit of blocking garages, parking up on footpaths making access difficult and so on. This is particularily bad if you are down on york road, more so than if you are on irishtown road. If you are working regular office hours you probably wouldnt even notice because you'd be going as they arrive and arriving as they leave but if you don't work 9-5 then getting home to discover you don't have access to your garage or can't swing into a parking space because someone is blocking the road gets annoying really quickly!

All that said, its not a bad place to live and like someone else said plenty of public transport around and is within walking distance of town, grand canal square, sandymount village, ballsbridge, point village (market at weekends) etc etc

Just on parking, its not free parking on the following:
    "along Ringsend Road,Penrose & Doris Str. etc, that area south of the River but near Grand canal Dock DART station."
    Some of these streets are 24hr pay parking and you will need a DCC permit as a resident. Clampers regularly patrol those streets.

Parking on York Rd is free and tends to attract office workers dumping their cars there during the day for easy access to the nearby offices. Same occurs whenever there is a concert on at The Point. Actually its worse when something is on at The Point as crowds do spill over the East Link with taxis waiting for them outside Fishermans Wharf causing noise and traffic jams.

gurramok wrote: »
    Your bike will be vandalised/stolen if you park it on the street anywhere.

Never heard of any burglaries myself nor from people I know living down there, care to eleaborate what type of dwellings have been the target of said burglaries?

Houses mainly. Dropped off a bit recently around the area. But if people have an alarm and lock up properly it will be a good deterrent. I would live there myself. Nice spot. And a decent enough park close by. And Sandymount.

• Advertisement

foreign wrote: »
    Houses mainly. Dropped off a bit recently around the area. But if people have an alarm and lock up properly it will be a good deterrent. I would live there myself. Nice spot. And a decent enough park close by. And Sandymount.

Ok :) I must tell my OH who lives on Barrow st and a friend who lives on Dock st about the house break-ins.
    I myself lives in an apt block, so must look out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Great pubs around there, though I'd maybe walk on by the Shipwright...

Advertisement